Old 07-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default CentOS-6 dhcpd

I've installed CentOS-6 on my server
(in parallel to CentOS-5.6)
and now I'm trying to set up dhcpd.

I'm not sure if there has been a change in dhcpd
under CentOS-6, but I'm getting the dreaded message
"Not configured to listen on any interfaces!"
when I "sudo service dhcpd restart".

I realise now that I have never known
how the connection between interface (eth0 and eth1, in my case)
and network (192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0, in my case)
is established.

I have DHCPDARGS=eth1 in /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd
but evidently I need to say something more somewhere.

Can one actually specify the interface in /etc/dhcpd.conf
and if so how?

Any suggestions or enlightenment gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 07-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I've installed CentOS-6 on my server
> (in parallel to CentOS-5.6)
> and now I'm trying to set up dhcpd.
>
> I'm not sure if there has been a change in dhcpd
> under CentOS-6, but I'm getting the dreaded message
> "Not configured to listen on any interfaces!"
> when I "sudo service dhcpd restart".
>
> I realise now that I have never known
> how the connection between interface (eth0 and eth1, in my case)
> and network (192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0, in my case)
> is established.
>
> I have DHCPDARGS=eth1 in /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd
> but evidently I need to say something more somewhere.
>
> Can one actually specify the interface in /etc/dhcpd.conf
> and if so how?
>
> Any suggestions or enlightenment gratefully received.

I can not say about DHCPd in CentOS with certainty, but it should be ISC
DHCP, and ISC DHCP on my routers has following syntax for subnet:

subnet 192.168.219.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

range 192.168.219.170 192.168.219.199;

option routers 192.168.219.100;

and there is no mention of interfaces, just their IP's, and you can only
set DHCP service on the first IP on the interface.

This is on my router, but should be true for all ISC DHCP servers.

Ljubomir

Old 07-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Jake Shipton

On 07/15/2011 05:45 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I've installed CentOS-6 on my server
> (in parallel to CentOS-5.6)
> and now I'm trying to set up dhcpd.
>
> I'm not sure if there has been a change in dhcpd
> under CentOS-6, but I'm getting the dreaded message
> "Not configured to listen on any interfaces!"
> when I "sudo service dhcpd restart".
>
> I realise now that I have never known
> how the connection between interface (eth0 and eth1, in my case)
> and network (192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0, in my case)
> is established.
>
> I have DHCPDARGS=eth1 in /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd
> but evidently I need to say something more somewhere.
>
> Can one actually specify the interface in /etc/dhcpd.conf
> and if so how?
>
> Any suggestions or enlightenment gratefully received.

Hi, I had this problem on my Fedora 12 & 14 box a while back, and I
found by adding a "dummy" network fixed the issue. I would assume the
fix to be the same on CentOS6 as their so closely related.

Here's an example of what I mean by dummy network in my dhcpd.conf

-- Begin --

ddns-update-style none;
ignore client-updates;
DHCPARGS=eth1;

subnet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 {
# This remains blank.
}

subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
# Here would go the settings you wish for eth1.
}

-- end --

Basically as you can see, there is a subnet "0.0.0.0" this would be for
eth0 while the other subnet below is in use and configured how you would
like.

This for me fixed the error you mentioned. Also just a note, you will
often see "service dhcpd start" fail, if their is no device connected to it.

I do not know why, however command dhcpd will work. However, the service
appears to start anyway, it just reports a fail. as connected said
device to eth1 works even though service apparently failed to start.
device connected and powered up, service reports to start OK.

I hope this can help you and fixes your issues. :-)

--
Jake