Old 07-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

Default Burning DVDs (was: CentOS 6 x86_64 DVD doesn't boot)

On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 17:05 +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
> Did you check the integrity of the downloaded iso image
> before burning it?

The download is good. I made sure to do the checksum before burning the
image.

> Can you try to burn the iso on different machine
> at a slow speed. See if it boot then?

I already tried that: it won't boot.

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.32.26-175.fc12.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Old 07-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Lamar Owen

On Friday, July 15, 2011 09:35:22 AM Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 05:57 +0200, Udo Siewert wrote:
> > A shot in the dark: my DVD image burned by K3B won't also boot. Using
> > Brasero and all was fine. Not reproducable, but worth the attempt.
>
> I used Brasero: failed to boot.

Brasero and K3B both use growisofs and wodim on the backend. Burning DVD- is a different process from burning DVD+; substantially different at the physical media, and thus different bugs are exposed.

Jorg Schilling's own cdrecord utilities may work more reliably for DVD- burning (he says they should work better for all burning, but I haven't tested that). YMMV. Jorg is not as gracious about the differences and about the issue as I am being here; you can read it all for yourself and decide for yourself what to do about that.... but using his cdrecord suite is guaranteed to make your system not 100% upstream EL compatible.... at least in terms of those utilities.

I know a client of mine has had multiple problems with Brasero and certain brands of media, mostly DVD-, when I haven't had issues, but using DVD+ almost exclusively. I'm probably going to rip out wodim completely, and try out Jorg's mkisofs and cdrecord instead, and see if that fixes the problem. But I digress.