Old 07-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Trey Dockendorf

Default CentOS 6 x86_64 DVD doesn't boot

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak@thesandhufamily.ca> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I downloaded the CentOS 6 x86_64 DVD ISOs and burned the first image to

a rewritable DVD. *When I tried to boot my new home server off it, it

didn't, and then this was printed to the screen:

ETCDisolinux: Found something at drive = EF

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

boot:

The same disc works fine in my 4 year old HP laptop, and when installing

CentOS 6 as a KVM.

I've found one post from a Fedora 14 user that was having the exact same

problem, but no one replied to him. *Other articles, posts etc. around

the net reference something different for the "EF" part.

Does anyone know what's going on? I've never seen this problem before.

Regards,

Ranbir

--

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

Linux 2.6.32.26-175.fc12.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I had an smililar issue using the CentOS 6 DVD with a DVD-RW. *The same install disk worked perfectly on another system. *I ended up having to use the Netinstall CD to do the install.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:39 AM
Barry Brimer

> I downloaded the CentOS 6 x86_64 DVD ISOs and burned the first image to
> a rewritable DVD. When I tried to boot my new home server off it, it
> didn't, and then this was printed to the screen:
>
> ETCDisolinux: Found something at drive = EF
> No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
> boot:
>
> The same disc works fine in my 4 year old HP laptop, and when installing
> CentOS 6 as a KVM.

By any chance is the drive that does not work *NOT* a CDRW drive?
Sometimes CD-ROM drives do not like reading rewriteable media.

Barry

Old 07-15-2011, 02:23 AM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 20:39 -0500, Barry Brimer wrote:
> > I downloaded the CentOS 6 x86_64 DVD ISOs and burned the first image to
> > a rewritable DVD. When I tried to boot my new home server off it, it
> > didn't, and then this was printed to the screen:
> >
> > ETCDisolinux: Found something at drive = EF
> > No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
> > boot:
> >
> > The same disc works fine in my 4 year old HP laptop, and when installing
> > CentOS 6 as a KVM.
>
> By any chance is the drive that does not work *NOT* a CDRW drive?
> Sometimes CD-ROM drives do not like reading rewriteable media.

The drive in my little server is a DVD/CD burner, too. So, that's not
the problem.

Regards,

Ranbir

Old 07-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Barry Brimer

>> By any chance is the drive that does not work *NOT* a CDRW drive?
>> Sometimes CD-ROM drives do not like reading rewriteable media.
>
> The drive in my little server is a DVD/CD burner, too. So, that's not
> the problem.

Can you read other discs burned by that burner in the server machine? I
understand that it has a DVD/CD burner, but is a CDRW burner? Can you
attach this drive to a USB cable or move it to the affected machine to see
if the problem follows the drive or the machine?

Old 07-15-2011, 03:28 AM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 21:36 -0500, Barry Brimer wrote:
> >> By any chance is the drive that does not work *NOT* a CDRW drive?
> >> Sometimes CD-ROM drives do not like reading rewriteable media.
> >
> > The drive in my little server is a DVD/CD burner, too. So, that's not
> > the problem.
>
> Can you read other discs burned by that burner in the server machine? I
> understand that it has a DVD/CD burner, but is a CDRW burner? Can you
> attach this drive to a USB cable or move it to the affected machine to see
> if the problem follows the drive or the machine?

The burner I'm using is a built in laptop drive. :/ However, I have
used it to burn LinuxMCE DVD images, and those have always booted on my
new machine without issue.

I think it's something specific to CentOS 6 and the particular hardware
I'm using.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.32.26-175.fc12.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
23:25:38 up 1 day, 24 min, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.06

Old 07-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 21:36 -0500, Barry Brimer wrote:

> Can you read other discs burned by that burner in the server machine? I
> understand that it has a DVD/CD burner, but is a CDRW burner? Can you
> attach this drive to a USB cable or move it to the affected machine to see
> if the problem follows the drive or the machine?

I used a different burner in a different PC running Fedora 15: failed to
boot.

Ranbir

Old 07-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 09:32 -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> ETCDisolinux: Found something at drive = EF
> No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
> boot:
>
> The same disc works fine in my 4 year old HP laptop, and when installing
> CentOS 6 as a KVM.

I've tried everything people have so kindly suggested - the DVD has
failed to boot each and every time.

I decided to burn a Fedora 15 x86_64 DVD ISO to the same rewritable DVD
I've been using for the CentOS 6 DVD image. I also used the same burner.
The Fedora 15 DVD booted just fine.

So, what I can conclude is something is broken. :/

Ranbir

Old 07-15-2011, 02:07 PM
DV

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 09:46, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
<m3freak@thesandhufamily.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 09:32 -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
>> ETCDisolinux: Found something at drive = EF
>> No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
>> boot:
>>
>> The same disc works fine in my 4 year old HP laptop, and when installing
>> CentOS 6 as a KVM.
>
> I've tried everything people have so kindly suggested - the DVD has
> failed to boot each and every time.
>
> I decided to burn a Fedora 15 x86_64 DVD ISO to the same rewritable DVD
> I've been using for the CentOS 6 DVD image. I also used the same burner.
> The Fedora 15 DVD booted just fine.
>
> So, what I can conclude is something is broken. *:/
>
> Ranbir
>
> --
> Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
> Linux 2.6.32.26-175.fc12.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> 09:36:53 up 9:26, 1 user, load average: 0.10, 0.12, 0.09

I would try the bios setting AHCI (vs. compatibility mode) if you have it.

http://www.911cd.net/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t23099.html

This is the SATA Advanced Host Controller Interface:

http://www.techmetica.com/howto/sata-ahci-mode-bios-setting.-what-does-it-do/

Old 07-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Keith Roberts

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

> To: centos@centos.org
> From: Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak@thesandhufamily.ca>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS 6 x86_64 DVD doesn't boot
>
> On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 09:32 -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
>> ETCDisolinux: Found something at drive = EF
>> No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
>> boot:
>>
>> The same disc works fine in my 4 year old HP laptop, and when installing
>> CentOS 6 as a KVM.
>
> I've tried everything people have so kindly suggested - the DVD has
> failed to boot each and every time.
>
> I decided to burn a Fedora 15 x86_64 DVD ISO to the same rewritable DVD
> I've been using for the CentOS 6 DVD image. I also used the same burner.
> The Fedora 15 DVD booted just fine.
>
> So, what I can conclude is something is broken. :/

Hi again Ranbir. This reminds me of a similar problem I had
on an older Advent laptop. The problem was due to bad BIOS
calls in the firmware.

It was fixed by Mr HP Anvin, the maintainer of the ISO boot
loader by writing a work around to dodge the wonky BIOS
code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYSLINUX

Maybe you have a similar problem?

Does your machine hang with an error message during the boot
process?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: