Old 07-14-2011, 05:56 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Default Howto create a VPN connection on desktop (CentOS 6)

Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 7/13/11, Mark Weaver <mweaver@compinfosystems.com> wrote:
>> For a short time I dabbled with an SSH app on my Droid X so that I could
>> connect to and interact with Linux servers that I've deployed, but found
>> it all but impossible to see the screen thus rendering the application
>> nothing more than something taking up space on my device. Now, it's a
>> different story if the device is an iPad or Galaxy tablet device, but a
>> phone?
>
> Which was why I believe a phone with a 5" screen would be perfect for
> emergency remote administration in situations where we don't have (or
> for whatever reasons can't use) a proper laptop/netbook.
>
> Unfortunately that pretty much limits the current options to the Dell
> Streak which I use with a small bluetooth keyboard that also has
> cursor keys.
>
> Of course I only used it for SSH/CLI access since I don't normally use
> X for administration.

I use Android VNC on my HTC Wildfire and screen is panned/scrolled, not
resized. You can setup some kind of VNC via SSH.

Ljubomir

Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Mark Weaver wrote:

> It really has been a while for me doing this stuff so I'm going to have
> to eat a little crow here and ask: what is all of the following trying
> to tell me?

<snip>

My guess of the culprit would be:
Non-zero Async Control Character Maps are not supported!

Also thing to investigate:
Warning: can't open options file /root/.ppprc: Permission denied

Also try this from Ubuntu Forums:

Re: Can't connect to PPTP VPN
What PPTP settings are you using? I've had this problem for a long time
as well, although I did manage to find a combination that worked. Give
it a try:

Tick
- Refuse EAP
- Allow Deflate compression
- Allow BSD compression
- Require MPPE encryption
- Require 128 bit MPPE encryption
- Enable stateful MPPE
- Use peer DNS

Do not tick
- Authenticate peer
- Refuse CHAP
- Refuse MS CHAP
- Require MPPC encryption

Ljubomir

Old 07-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Mark Weaver

On 7/14/2011 12:17 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 7/14/11, Mark Weaver<mweaver@compinfosystems.com> wrote:
>>> Of course I only used it for SSH/CLI access since I don't normally use
>>> X for administration.
>>
>> makes my eyes ache just thinking about it.
>
> The good thing about the Dell Streak is that despite the larger
> screen, it has a lower screen resolution at 800x480. although many
> reviewers seem to think it's a bad thing. This makes things look about
> 23% larger than on the Droid X and might just cross the line between
> pain in the eye to usable for you.

that is one sweet little tablet and I'm seriously struggling with
whether or not to place an order for one!

--
Mark Weaver
Computer Information Systems & Services, Inc.