Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Tim Nelson

Default Problem with AT&T VPN

----- Original Message -----
> I'm running a CentOS-5.6 server,
> which in general runs perfectly.
> My setting is possibly a little unusual:
> ADSL -> Billion 5200S RC modem/router -> CentOS-5.6 HP MicroServer
> -> Linksys WRT54GL router .
>
> My daughter is just visiting me,
> and she has to contact her job using AT&T VPN
> on her laptop under Windows XP.
>
> Unfortunately this does not work on my system
> when connected to the Linksys router by WiFi or ethernet.
> More precisely, the IBM Lotus "sametime" application does not work,
> and she cannot access the IBM Intranet homepage
> which she needs to use company tools and applications.
>
> It works perfectly at a public WiFi site nearby.

When VPN problems arise with specific applications, always look at MTU as a possible culprit.

--Tim

Old 07-13-2011, 08:41 PM

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm running a CentOS-5.6 server,
> which in general runs perfectly.
> My setting is possibly a little unusual:
> ADSL -> Billion 5200S RC modem/router -> CentOS-5.6 HP MicroServer
> -> Linksys WRT54GL router .
>
> My daughter is just visiting me,
> and she has to contact her job using AT&T VPN
> on her laptop under Windows XP.
>
> Unfortunately this does not work on my system
> when connected to the Linksys router by WiFi or ethernet.
> More precisely, the IBM Lotus "sametime" application does not work,
> and she cannot access the IBM Intranet homepage
> which she needs to use company tools and applications.
<snip>
You may have a port closed that, um, damn, it's only been 3 years since I
was using that client, and I can't remember the name, anyway, that it
uses.

mark

Old 07-13-2011, 10:30 PM
yonatan pingle

I am not sure it's related to centos that much, when it comes to port
forwarding, if you might use iptables correctly with several NIC(s),

if you can create a vlan with your linksys, like they talk about here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4692

I would configure a DMZ pool for the laptop usage only, and forward
the needed ports correctly towards the end user Network port.

this might help you also for your centos iptables configuration :
http://www.howtoforge.com/nat_iptables

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:41 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>
>> I'm running a CentOS-5.6 server,
>> which in general runs perfectly.
>> My setting is possibly a little unusual:
>> ADSL -> Billion 5200S RC modem/router -> CentOS-5.6 HP MicroServer
>> * * * * * * * * * * * -> Linksys WRT54GL router .
>>
>> My daughter is just visiting me,
>> and she has to contact her job using AT&T VPN
>> on her laptop under Windows XP.
>>
>> Unfortunately this does not work on my system
>> when connected to the Linksys router by WiFi or ethernet.
>> More precisely, the IBM Lotus "sametime" application does not work,
>> and she cannot access the IBM Intranet homepage
>> which she needs to use company tools and applications.
> <snip>
> You may have a port closed that, um, damn, it's only been 3 years since I
> was using that client, and I can't remember the name, anyway, that it
> uses.
>
> * * * * *mark

Best Regards,
Yonatan Pingle
RHCT | RHCSA | CCNA1

Old 07-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Timothy Murphy

yonatan pingle wrote:

Thanks for your response.

> I am not sure it's related to centos that much, when it comes to port
> forwarding, if you might use iptables correctly with several NIC(s),

I should have said that I am using shorewall,
which seems to work perfectly for my purposes.

> if you can create a vlan with your linksys, like they talk about here:
> http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4692

I'm not really clear if there is any difference between vlan and vpn.
In any case I am running OpenVPN on the server
linking computers in 2 countries,
and this seems to work perfectly.

One obvious possibility is that the IBM Lotus "sametime" program
that is not working properly requires some port to be open;
but I haven't been able to work out which port,
if that is indeed the cause of the problem.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 07-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Timothy Murphy

Tim Nelson wrote:

> When VPN problems arise with specific applications,
> always look at MTU as a possible culprit.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I should say that I am running OpenVPN on my system
with no problem at all.
Also the AT&T VPN apears to be running fine;
it is just the sametime program running over VPN
which is not working properly.

Incidentally, what would you suggest as a possible MTU value?
And what is the simplest way to change the MTU on a CentOS server?

Old 07-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Mark Van Bogart

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:
> Tim Nelson wrote:
>
>> When VPN problems arise with specific applications,
>> always look at MTU as a possible culprit.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
> I should say that I am running OpenVPN on my system
> with no problem at all.
> Also the AT&T VPN apears to be running fine;
> it is just the sametime program running over VPN
> which is not working properly.
>
> Incidentally, what would you suggest as a possible MTU value?
> And what is the simplest way to change the MTU on a CentOS server?
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

I have only run Windows through the home routers. If I recall
correctly (bad memory sometimes), I had to open port 500 (isakmp) for
IPSEC to work.