FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-13-2011, 07:46 PM
 
Default PackageKit via ssh

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 07/13/11 10:18 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On 7/13/2011 11:55 AM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>>
>>> > So: sorry if my question wasn't precise enough, what I really wanted
>>> to ask was: is there a way tu use a PackageKit GUI remotely via ssh?
>> Ssh (-Y) in as root or 'su -' before starting it. Whatever it is doing
>> to escalate permissions for the install doesn't seem to mesh well with
>> the desktop being remote - or maybe you need to start some agent within
>> the session to make it work.
>
> 3 steps...
>
> 1) log into a user account via: ssh -X user@hostname
> 2) drop to root with: su -
> 3) copy the Xauth file from the user account: cp /home/user/.Xauthority
> /root && chown root:root /root/.Xauthority
>
> NOW you can run remote X apps via the ssh tunnel

Would it work if you tried ssh -A -X user@hostname?

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 PM
John R Pierce
 
Default PackageKit via ssh

On 07/13/11 12:46 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Would it work if you tried ssh -A -X user@hostname?

I've not used that option, and the man page isn't explaining it to me
such that I quite understand what it does.


--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 PM
 
Default PackageKit via ssh

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 07/13/11 12:46 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Would it work if you tried ssh -A -X user@hostname?
>
> I've not used that option, and the man page isn't explaining it to me
> such that I quite understand what it does.

I use it all the time. -A forwards authentication, if you've got an agent
running. Most likely, you've got ssh-agent as a daemon (check via ps). If
you've got a key in ~/.ssh/, like id_dsa & id_dsa.pub, and have used
ssh-add to add it, and the .pub is in the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the
targets, you can go from one machine to another to another, without have
to come back.

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default PackageKit via ssh

On 7/13/2011 3:19 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 07/13/11 12:46 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>> Would it work if you tried ssh -A -X user@hostname?
>>
>> I've not used that option, and the man page isn't explaining it to me
>> such that I quite understand what it does.
>
> I use it all the time. -A forwards authentication, if you've got an agent
> running. Most likely, you've got ssh-agent as a daemon (check via ps). If
> you've got a key in ~/.ssh/, like id_dsa& id_dsa.pub, and have used
> ssh-add to add it, and the .pub is in the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the
> targets, you can go from one machine to another to another, without have
> to come back.

How does that get you to root on the remote for the install step? Do
you have to have your key in root's authorized_keys?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:42 PM
 
Default PackageKit via ssh

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 7/13/2011 3:19 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> John R Pierce wrote:
>>> On 07/13/11 12:46 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>>> Would it work if you tried ssh -A -X user@hostname?
>>>
>>> I've not used that option, and the man page isn't explaining it to me
>>> such that I quite understand what it does.
>>
>> I use it all the time. -A forwards authentication, if you've got an
>> agent running. Most likely, you've got ssh-agent as a daemon (check
>> via ps). If you've got a key in ~/.ssh/, like id_dsa& id_dsa.pub, and
>> have used ssh-add to add it, and the .pub is in the ~/.ssh
>> /authorized_keys on the targets, you can go from one machine to another
>> to another, without have to come back.
>
> How does that get you to root on the remote for the install step? Do
> you have to have your key in root's authorized_keys?

Yep, that's exactly what you do.

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Akemi Yagi
 
Default PackageKit via ssh

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs> wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone packaged the freenx server for 6.x yet?
>>
> aTrpms has them.

It looks as if the stuff in ATrpms is not being maintained. The nx
package required by freenx-server/client is dated 2007 (spec file) and
still in the category: "bleeding packages means asking for trouble!".

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:39 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org