Old 07-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Mogens Kjaer

Default C6: Suspend on laptop close doesn't work

Hello,

I've been running Fedora on my Lenovo X61s laptop for many
(Fedora) generations.

Fedora 15, however, was not my cup of tea, so I've decided to wipe
out Fedora, and do a clean install of CentOS 6 (x86_64).

Everything works OK, except that the laptop does not suspend when
I close the lid.

I've checked the settings in "Power Management", and it is set
to suspend when the lit is closed, with or without AC power.

This has always worked in Fedora.

Suspending manually from the shutdown menu works.

No messages are logged in /var/log/messages when the lit is
closed.

What have I overlooked?

Mogens
--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk

Old 07-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Silviu Adrian Joian

Hello,

Probably the video driver is not working as it should, I have the same problem after installing the vendors proprietary drivers on my laptop.

--
Adrian

Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Mogens Kjaer

On 07/13/2011 03:17 PM, Silviu Adrian Joian wrote:
> Probably the video driver is not working as it should, I have the same
> problem after installing the vendors proprietary drivers on my laptop.

It's standard Intel graphics on my laptop, no proprietary drivers.

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk

Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 PM
ken

On 07/13/2011 09:23 AM Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> On 07/13/2011 03:17 PM, Silviu Adrian Joian wrote:
>> Probably the video driver is not working as it should, I have the same
>> problem after installing the vendors proprietary drivers on my laptop.
>
> It's standard Intel graphics on my laptop, no proprietary drivers.
>
> Mogens

Yes, in fact you already said in your OP that suspend works from the
menu, so obviously the problem's not with the driver.

I had this same problem years ago and there was an easy fix. It was so
long ago and the solution came to me so quickly, that today I can't
remember exactly what I did. Generally though, I used some utility or
application which binds a key to an action. To designate the key, I
just had to press that key. (In linux, everything on the keyboard is a
key, even the little stem that normally would hit the switch and invoke
suspend. It's a key in the same way that 'a' and '$' are keys.) So
after designating the key-- by pressing it-- I entered the command for
suspend (which I had to search down).

Try looking at Foot -> System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts (in
Gnome). There's a "Sleep" item there that maybe can be configured to
fix the problem.

hth,
ken

--
"When a society comes together and makes decisions in harmony,
when it respects its most noble traditions, cares for its most

Old 07-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Devin Reade

When I was trying out the RHEL6 beta I saw this problem on a
recent model top line Thinkpad T series. (A T500? It's not in
front of me right now.) That machine is now
running RHEL6.1 and hibernation is fine, evidenced by the fact
that two days ago I unplugged it after forgetting to shut it
down and it recovered just fine.

I don't recall if the fixed kernel was part of the initial
RHEL6.0 or not, but you might find that as the CentOS updates
catch up the problem may go away.

[And with respect to the 'Effecting CentOS change' thread, yes
having an early RHEL test system with a license and submitting a
bug report works wonders. I was motivated by wanting CentOS to
work on my new laptop ...]

Devin