Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Timothy Kesten

Default OT: USB3 drive occasionally not detected

Hi Folks,

CentOS 5.5 x86_64

Asrock-Board with 2 USB3 plugs.

Normally USB3-drive is detected. But occasionaly after "umount" next time this
drive or other ones will not be detected.
I have to boot the PC - than it works - till next unrecognition.

On USB2 plugs all works correct.

No messages in /var/log/messages nor dmesg.

What happens here?
Board failure - or other reasons?

Some hints welcome.

Timothy

Old 07-13-2011, 11:42 AM
"Brunner, Brian T."

centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> CentOS 5.5 x86_64
>
> Asrock-Board with 2 USB3 plugs.
>
> Normally USB3-drive is detected. But occasionaly after "umount" next
> time this drive or other ones will not be detected.
> I have to boot the PC - than it works - till next unrecognition.
>
> On USB2 plugs all works correct.
>
> No messages in /var/log/messages nor dmesg.
>
> What happens here?
> Board failure - or other reasons?
>
> Some hints welcome.
>
> Timothy

Try this:
Make (eg) /usr/bin/usb3mount (your own wrapper for /bin/mount for usb3
devices)
Include the line
for num in 0 1 2 3 4 5 ; do echo "- - -" >
/sys/class/scsi_host/host$num/scan; done

Caveat: The number set 0-5 has to do with *my* scsi busses and devices
thereon. Your numbers may be different.
I use this re-scan to detect hot-swapped sata disks for multi-spindle
backup

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

//me

Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Lamar Owen

On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 06:40:50 AM Timothy Kesten wrote:
> CentOS 5.5 x86_64
> What happens here?
> Board failure - or other reasons?

Hmmm, I didn't think USB3 was even supported in CentOS 5. What does:
dmesg|grep xhci
tell you? Perhaps it's running in ehci USB2.0 mode.... and maybe that doesn't work too well?

USB3 is supposed to be fully supported in EL6, but following the SL lists shows that that seems to be somewhat problematic with the current kernel and some hardware.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Timothy Kesten

Am Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2011 14:34 schrieb Lamar Owen:
> What does: dmesg|grep xhci tell you?

Nothing

> USB3 is supposed to be fully supported in EL6,
So I have to wait until CentOS 6 is tested (testing machine has no USB3) and
then is installed on production server.

Not such a big problem cause USB2 works with that drives - but slow ;-(

Thx
Timothy

Old 07-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Timothy Kesten

Am Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2011 13:42 schrieb Brunner, Brian T.:

> Try this:
> Make (eg) /usr/bin/usb3mount (your own wrapper for /bin/mount for usb3
> devices)
> Include the line
> for num in 0 1 2 3 4 5 ; do echo "- - -" >
> /sys/class/scsi_host/host$num/scan; done

No effect (have a number 9 t# therefore I run from 0 till 9.

Message:

./usb3mount: line 2: /sys/class/scsi_host/host4/scan: Datei oder Verzeichnis
nicht gefunden
./usb3mount: line 2: /sys/class/scsi_host/host5/scan: Datei oder Verzeichnis
nicht gefunden
./usb3mount: line 2: /sys/class/scsi_host/host6/scan: Datei oder Verzeichnis
nicht gefunden
./usb3mount: line 2: /sys/class/scsi_host/host7/scan: Datei oder Verzeichnis
nicht gefunden
./usb3mount: line 2: /sys/class/scsi_host/host8/scan: Datei oder Verzeichnis
nicht gefunden

Maybe I don't really know what effect is expected.
I'm not a linux-professionell

Timothy

Old 07-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Lamar Owen

On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 09:38:28 AM Timothy Kesten wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2011 14:34 schrieb Lamar Owen:
> > What does: dmesg|grep xhci tell you?
>
> Nothing

Yeah, no xhci kernel module....

> > USB3 is supposed to be fully supported in EL6,
> So I have to wait until CentOS 6 is tested (testing machine has no USB3) and
> then is installed on production server.

> Not such a big problem cause USB2 works with that drives - but slow ;-(

Once you've tasted the speed of USB3 you really don't want to go back..... It's as fast as native eSATA on most of my USB3-capable externals. Over twice as fast as USB2 on them.

An alternative would be to use the ELrepo 'mainline' kernel, assuming it has the xhci and/or xhci_hcd modules; but you'd be on your own configuring udev and friends to use it. If that were to work, I sure would be interested.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Always Learning

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 12:40 +0200, Timothy Kesten wrote:

> CentOS 5.5 x86_64
>
> Asrock-Board with 2 USB3 plugs.

Which Asrock pcb ?

My desktop is Centos 5.6 with Asrock N68C-S UCC. I format USB memory
sticks as ext3.

SD cards (FAT format) are instantly recognised (via USB). However USB
memory sticks (4 GB, 8 GB) are recognised very slowly. There appears to
be some polling, a flash of activity on HDD 1, a flicker of LED light on
the memory stick, some more HDD activity, more memory stick LED flashes
then the memory stick is recognised. The process seems very slow and
take about a minute or more.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Always Learning

Old 07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Timothy Kesten

Am Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2011, 17:04:31 schrieb Always Learning:
> Which Asrock pcb

Asrock 880G Extreme3

Formated ext. UBS-HDD (500 GB) ext3 / ext2 - both did not work

> SD cards (FAT format) are instantly recognised (via USB). However USB
> memory sticks (4 GB, 8 GB) are recognised very slowly. There appears to
> be some polling, a flash of activity on HDD 1, a flicker of LED light on
> the memory stick, some more HDD activity, more memory stick LED flashes
> then the memory stick is recognised. The process seems very slow and
> take about a minute or more.

If it is detected (first time) - that happens very fast.
But then ( second time or more) - no detection.

Timothy

Old 07-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Timothy Kesten

Am Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2011, 16:20:22 schrieb Lamar Owen:
> An alternative would be to use the ELrepo 'mainline' kernel, assuming it
> has the xhci and/or xhci_hcd modules; but you'd be on your own configuring
> udev and friends to use it.
No option - too complicated for my knowledge.

Thx
Timothy