Old 07-13-2011, 12:06 AM
John R Pierce

Default Howto create a VPN connection on desktop (CentOS 6)

On 07/12/11 4:26 PM, Mark Weaver wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'd like to be able to create VPN connections on my laptop to connect to
> client locations and I was wondering if someone could point me in the
> right direction for this information. I've checked on the wiki, but
> didn't find anything.

you would, of course, need a VPN server of some sort at the client
locations. If there is a linux server at each site, they could host an
OpenVPN service.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 07-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Mark Weaver

On 07/12/2011 08:06 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 07/12/11 4:26 PM, Mark Weaver wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I'd like to be able to create VPN connections on my laptop to connect to
>> client locations and I was wondering if someone could point me in the
>> right direction for this information. I've checked on the wiki, but
>> didn't find anything.
>
> you would, of course, need a VPN server of some sort at the client
> locations. If there is a linux server at each site, they could host an
> OpenVPN service.

perfect! thanks guys. That did the trick; I wasn't sure which packages I
was looking for.

--
Mark Weaver
Computer Information Systems & Services, Inc.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Tommy E Craddock Jr

I'd like to be able to create VPN connections on my laptop to connect to
client locations and I was wondering if someone could point me in the
right direction for this information. I've checked on the wiki, but
didn't find anything.

We use OpenVPN for pretty much everything other than iPhone and
iPad which don't grok OpenVPN.

OpenVPN works quite nicely with Linux, Windows, and OS X.

Bill
--

On a side note, I use this for iOS and OpenVPN:
http://www.guizmovpn.com/

Works well.*

Tommy CraddockSystems Administratortommy@hivelocity.netHivelocity.Net*Im pressive*Support*

Old 07-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Mark Weaver

On 7/12/2011 9:31 PM, Tommy E Craddock Jr wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2011, at 7:32 PM, Bill Campbell wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011, Mark Weaver wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to be able to create VPN connections on my laptop to connect to
>>> client locations and I was wondering if someone could point me in the
>>> right direction for this information. I've checked on the wiki, but
>>> didn't find anything.
>>
>> We use OpenVPN for pretty much everything other than iPhone and
>> iPad which don't grok OpenVPN.
>>
>> OpenVPN works quite nicely with Linux, Windows, and OS X.
>>
>> Bill
>> --
>>

> On a side note, I use this for iOS and OpenVPN:
>
> http://www.guizmovpn.com/
>

> <http://www.guizmovpn.com/>Works well.
>

> Tommy Craddock

I apologize for this being a bit off-topic, and I ask this of some
clients when they want to access their Citrix servers from their
iPhones, but why would one want to do something of this nature on a
device that you'd literally need binoculars to be able to see the screen?

For a short time I dabbled with an SSH app on my Droid X so that I could
connect to and interact with Linux servers that I've deployed, but found
it all but impossible to see the screen thus rendering the application
nothing more than something taking up space on my device. Now, it's a
different story if the device is an iPad or Galaxy tablet device, but a
phone?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Mark Weaver

On 7/12/2011 8:06 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 07/12/11 4:26 PM, Mark Weaver wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I'd like to be able to create VPN connections on my laptop to connect to
>> client locations and I was wondering if someone could point me in the
>> right direction for this information. I've checked on the wiki, but
>> didn't find anything.
>
> you would, of course, need a VPN server of some sort at the client
> locations. If there is a linux server at each site, they could host an
> OpenVPN service.

Well, yes that's a given. I was a little preoccupied when I first posted
so perhaps a bit unclear.

What I've attempting to do is make it possible for me to connect to
clients' servers where RRAS service is already running using PPTP so
that I can connect remotely while I'm running Linux on my laptop so I
don't have to stop what I'm doing and boot Windows.

Last night after installing the necessary additional packages
(NetworkManager VPN plugins) to make it possible to create a VPN
connection using NetworkManager I can configure a VPN for use, but when
I actually attempt to establish the connection it fails complaining
about there not being a secret. I'll freely admit that as an IT
consultant I've been away from Linux a bit too long and too deeply
immersed in the Windows world due to client needs, but this one has me a
bit puzzled.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 AM
John Hodrien

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Mark Weaver wrote:

> What I've attempting to do is make it possible for me to connect to
> clients' servers where RRAS service is already running using PPTP so
> that I can connect remotely while I'm running Linux on my laptop so I
> don't have to stop what I'm doing and boot Windows.

Does pptp and pptp-setup from EPEL get you to where you want to be?

jh

Old 07-13-2011, 11:52 AM
John Hodrien

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, John Hodrien wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Mark Weaver wrote:
>
>> What I've attempting to do is make it possible for me to connect to
>> clients' servers where RRAS service is already running using PPTP so
>> that I can connect remotely while I'm running Linux on my laptop so I
>> don't have to stop what I'm doing and boot Windows.
>
> Does pptp and pptp-setup from EPEL get you to where you want to be?

Sorry, that's just me being out of date and talking crap.

I've never got on with NetworkManager-pptp in the past, so have used the base
pptp client instead along with my own startup scripts.

jh

Old 07-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Tommy E Craddock Jr

On Jul 13, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Mark Weaver <mweaver@compinfosystems.com> wrote:

> On 7/12/2011 9:31 PM, Tommy E Craddock Jr wrote:
>>

>> On a side note, I use this for iOS and OpenVPN:
>>
>> http://www.guizmovpn.com/
>>

>> <http://www.guizmovpn.com/>Works well.
>>

>> Tommy Craddock
>
> I apologize for this being a bit off-topic, and I ask this of some
> clients when they want to access their Citrix servers from their
> iPhones, but why would one want to do something of this nature on a
> device that you'd literally need binoculars to be able to see the screen?
>
> For a short time I dabbled with an SSH app on my Droid X so that I could
> connect to and interact with Linux servers that I've deployed, but found
> it all but impossible to see the screen thus rendering the application
> nothing more than something taking up space on my device. Now, it's a
> different story if the device is an iPad or Galaxy tablet device, but a
> phone?
>
> --

I don't use an iPhone myself, just the iPad, so it's come in handy when on a friends/work mates wifi and wanting to check email, access content on home LAN etc. On rare occasion I use free wifi, will also use VPN for all traffic.

I also do the same with my R2D2 Droid ie connect thru VPN. I don't trust other peoples network too much. View most as the seedy part of town where I make sure my doors are locked when I park.

Most of the time tho, I just use Artoo's wifi hotspot for wifi access for the iPad and VPN traffic on the iPad.

Tommy C.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Bill Campbell wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011, Mark Weaver wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to be able to create VPN connections on my laptop to
>> connect to client locations and I was wondering if someone could
>> point me in the right direction for this information. I've checked
>> on the wiki, but didn't find anything.
>
> We use OpenVPN for pretty much everything other than iPhone and iPad
> which don't grok OpenVPN.
>
> OpenVPN works quite nicely with Linux, Windows, and OS X.

+1

Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Paul Heinlein