Old 07-11-2011, 07:37 PM
david

Default Problem with net-install

Folks

I tried the net-install, because my computer has no DVD, only a CD.
The system has a USB connected keyboard, and it works just fine
accessing the built-in BIOS.

However, when I booted the netinstall CD, the initial screen which
asks for the type of installation did not respond to the keyboard. I
was therefore forced to wait the 30-seconds for the timeout, at which
point the install screen showed up and the keyboard worked.

I fear that the net-install image may not support USB keyboards,
which if so, is unfortunate.

The alternate of burning multiple CDs (as I've done with earlier
versions) appears unavailable in CENTOS 6.

Furthermore, I was never given the choice of using a GUI or text
install; I guess the old display device isn't supported in the
install system. Not being given any choices of packages during the
install (a fact noted in the release notes) resulted, however, a
system where a lot of the expected utility programs weren't there.:
a) "yum" worked
b) No SSH client appeared to exist, nor did YUM know about it.
c) Several useful utilities were not there, so they had to be
installed via yum.

As a result, the process of bringing this system to a usable state
consisted of:
1) Burn net-install CD
2) Answer the few questions.
3) For the net-install site, use
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.0/os/i386
4) When it boots, use yum:
yum install ftp perl unzip
5)

COMMENT: One of the nice properties of Linux has been that it can be
installed and run on "old" hardware. I wonder if this feature is going away.

David

Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

david wrote:
> COMMENT: One of the nice properties of Linux has been that it can be
> installed and run on "old" hardware. I wonder if this feature is going away.

CentOS dev team will, in next few days release several general purpose
CD's Like Minimal server CD and Minimal Installation CD. LiveCD should
also be coming soon and hopefully it will have "Install on HDD" option
to help you install from CD device.

CentOS 6 was not really intended for slower systems, none of the newer
distros are. CentOS 6 kernel for example does not support 586 CPU's.

Best advice for people with CD's is please be patient and wait several
days untill additional media is created.

Ljubomir

Old 07-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Drew

> CentOS 6 was not really intended for slower systems, none of the newer
> distros are. CentOS 6 kernel for example does not support 586 CPU's.

I'd like to know where you read that because I'm looking at putting
CentOS 6 onto a couple of lower end boxes, specifically a
P3-800(mobile) and an older VIA EPIA, which are fully supported in
CentOS 5.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 PM
fred smith

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 05:54:56AM -0700, Drew wrote:
> > CentOS 6 was not really intended for slower systems, none of the newer
> > distros are. CentOS 6 kernel for example does not support 586 CPU's.
>
> I'd like to know where you read that because I'm looking at putting
> CentOS 6 onto a couple of lower end boxes, specifically a
> P3-800(mobile) and an older VIA EPIA, which are fully supported in
> CentOS 5.

While I don't know aobut the VIA EPIA, any P3 is a "i686" compatible
processor, and would therefore be supported.

586-class cpus include all pentiums prior to PII/Pentium-Pro, all
Intel chips older than that, AMD K5, K6, K6-II and some number of
cyrix/via chips (which ones, specifically, I do not know).

Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding
------------------------------- Isaiah 9:7 (niv) ------------------------------

Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Drew wrote:
>> CentOS 6 was not really intended for slower systems, none of the newer
>> distros are. CentOS 6 kernel for example does not support 586 CPU's.
>
> I'd like to know where you read that because I'm looking at putting
> CentOS 6 onto a couple of lower end boxes, specifically a
> P3-800(mobile) and an older VIA EPIA, which are fully supported in
> CentOS 5.

Generally, when you develop any app, you add more and more features and
you need more powerful hardware to run at the same speed.

Fedora 12-15 for example need more space on boot partition (500MB is I
am not mistaken) and CentOS5/Fedora6 only needed <100MB.

I am sure other optimizations were made in kernel and in other packages
in order to exploit all features of modern hardware. And since Linux
distro's are developed by vast number of developers mostly like newest
and greatest, it is logical to expect bloated code. When you add to the
mix the fact that most of the developers is more focused on adding new
features (that need more power to be done) then on fixing bug (a long
time problem for Fedora, Ubuntu, all distros using bleeding edge
software) then optimizing the code so it can run on older hardware is
not likely to happen.

Packages in RHEL 5.0(x) were designed to run optimally on hardware from
4-5 years. Similarly, RHEL 6 packages are reflection of the today
software and I don't expect any optimizations for older hardware.

That being said, I never said it will not run on older hardware, just
that they (most developers of most packages) don't care that much about
older hardware, and my reply was aimed at gradual disappearance of CD
medium from more and more distro's. Reply could be "take DVD drive from
somewhere and hook it up instead of CD drive, then return it when you
finish.

Ljubomir

Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Lamar Owen

On Tuesday, July 12, 2011 08:54:56 AM Drew wrote:
> > CentOS 6 was not really intended for slower systems, none of the newer
> > distros are. CentOS 6 kernel for example does not support 586 CPU's.
>
> I'd like to know where you read that because I'm looking at putting
> CentOS 6 onto a couple of lower end boxes, specifically a
> P3-800(mobile) and an older VIA EPIA, which are fully supported in
> CentOS 5.

EL6 of any flavor needs more horsepower than EL5 of any flavor. Read the installation minimum requirements, both from the centos.org site and the redhat.com site. PAE is required, for instance. 392MB of RAM is the minimum to install, for another.

EL5 will be supported for a while yet, and it may be the best choice for your needs.

I have a few older boxes, too (some *much* older than a PPro, even) and it's just going to be a simple fact that EL6 is just not going to run there.

There are lighter linuxes out there that are still up to date; Alpine, for instance, as well as TinyCore. I quote those because they both seem to be recently updated and both seem to have reasonably modern packages available; and neither require a lot of horsepower for the base system.

Some Linux variants still work fine with older stuff; upstream has decided that EL6 is not one of them.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 05:54:56AM -0700, Drew wrote:
>>> CentOS 6 was not really intended for slower systems, none of the
>>> newer distros are. CentOS 6 kernel for example does not support 586
>>> CPU's.
>>
>> I'd like to know where you read that because I'm looking at putting
>> CentOS 6 onto a couple of lower end boxes, specifically a
>> P3-800(mobile) and an older VIA EPIA, which are fully supported in
>> CentOS 5.
>
> While I don't know aobut the VIA EPIA, any P3 is a "i686" compatible
> processor, and would therefore be supported.
>
> 586-class cpus include all pentiums prior to PII/Pentium-Pro, all
> Intel chips older than that, AMD K5, K6, K6-II and some number of
> cyrix/via chips (which ones, specifically, I do not know).
Add: AMD Geode (586 non-PAE) can run CentOS 5 but not 6.

Desired: Somebody who is good with repos and rpms please put the linux
kernel (for centos 6) "somewhere" so

Yum --enablerepo=somewhere install full-kernel-source

will put the kernel source on our machines so we "abandoned children"
can at least feed ourselves.
We can hack the kernel until we all can run CentOS 6 on our wind-up-key
embedded/headless/whatever minimachines.

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

//me

Old 07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Samuel Torralba

you need > 652MB of ram for the GUI install: http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.0#head-710e17fe8ed8c98a1fe4faee4e11e2135df09fff

Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs> wrote:

> Fedora 12-15 for example need more space on boot partition (500MB is I
> am not mistaken) and CentOS5/Fedora6 only needed <100MB.

F12-F15 need a larger "/boot" for the "preupgrade" tool (to upgrade
from one version to the next) to run properly.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs> wrote:
>> Fedora 12-15 for example need more space on boot partition (500MB is I
>> am not mistaken) and CentOS5/Fedora6 only needed <100MB.
>
> F12-F15 need a larger "/boot" for the "preupgrade" tool (to upgrade
> from one version to the next) to run properly.

Ahhh, excellent then, I was thinking of repartitioning my drives (still
had no time to read Release Notes, pending).

Ljubomir