Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM

Default Problem with net-install

Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Drew wrote:
>>> CentOS 6 was not really intended for slower systems, none of the newer
>>> distros are. CentOS 6 kernel for example does not support 586 CPU's.
>>
>> I'd like to know where you read that because I'm looking at putting
>> CentOS 6 onto a couple of lower end boxes, specifically a
>> P3-800(mobile) and an older VIA EPIA, which are fully supported in
>> CentOS 5.
>>
> Generally, when you develop any app, you add more and more features and
> you need more powerful hardware to run at the same speed.

And then there's the nothing-but-eye-candy, and the "we'll just change
something, because that look is *so* last year" (like the assinine M$
"ribbon" replacing menu bars....).

> Fedora 12-15 for example need more space on boot partition (500MB is I
> am not mistaken) and CentOS5/Fedora6 only needed <100MB.

250M works.
<snip>
mark

Old 07-12-2011, 04:13 PM
John Hinton

On 7/12/2011 9:31 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> That being said, I never said it will not run on older hardware, just
> that they (most developers of most packages) don't care that much
> about older hardware, and my reply was aimed at gradual disappearance
> of CD medium from more and more distro's. Reply could be "take DVD
> drive from somewhere and hook it up instead of CD drive, then return
> it when you finish. Ljubomir

I suppose the Proliant users could be mad at HP for being old school
with only CD-Roms in even their G4 servers. (and no, these 2U servers
can't hold a standard DVD drive as the space if very low profile) But
I'm rarely mad at the Proliant line of servers. I suppose as these are
'servers', they don't really need any DVD drive, except to answer to the
packaging of OS softwares (and they normally go with 'known good
hardware' over new stuff). I wouldn't consider G4s old and slow... 8
gigs of ram and a dual 3.6g xeon processors isn't all that slow or
shabby. For a webserver, it is downright spunky! And, as PHP is so dead
in 5, we must move on to 6. I will find a way to install this on these
Proliants, but shame on Redhat for not doing CDs. Kudos to CentOS for
helping our community with an upcoming CD solutions! In the meantime,
I'll get around to experimenting and report any successes here.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502

Old 07-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Les Mikesell

On 7/12/2011 11:13 AM, John Hinton wrote:
> I will find a way to install this on these
> Proliants, but shame on Redhat for not doing CDs.

Unless it is your first linux install at a location, NFS should be the
easy route. It was always easier than burning/juggling the whole CD set
even when they did make the isos because the installer knows how to
handle the iso image(s) directly.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 07-12-2011, 04:35 PM
"R - elists"

john

you can inexpensively purchase proper slim dvd drives for proliant servers

we have done so for G3. G4 is essentially same

- rh

Old 07-12-2011, 04:56 PM
John R Pierce

On 07/12/11 9:13 AM, John Hinton wrote:
> I wouldn't consider G4s old and slow... 8
> gigs of ram and a dual 3.6g xeon processors isn't all that slow or
> shabby.

except today's model is 48GB of ram[1] and dual 6 core 3Ghz CPUs, each
core of which is significantly faster than those P4/Netburst xeon.
With virtualization, one of these servers can likely support 8 or more
VMs each with the performance of your G4s

[1] the config I just ordered, 48GB uses half the ram slots, so I can
easily double that to 96GB by adding 6 more 8GB dimms

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 07-14-2011, 06:34 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 07/12/2011 02:32 PM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
> Add: AMD Geode (586 non-PAE) can run CentOS 5 but not 6.
>
> Desired: Somebody who is good with repos and rpms please put the linux
> kernel (for centos 6) "somewhere" so

the via EPIA and the P3 mentioned earlier in this thread are all i686
compatible, so pose no real issue for C6 to run on. However, with the
Geode, it might be a bit more difficult.

also, i suspect its not just the kernel that needs rebuilding and
mod'ing of patches for, you might need to rebuild much of userland as well.

- KB

Old 07-14-2011, 06:37 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 07/11/2011 08:37 PM, david wrote:
> I fear that the net-install image may not support USB keyboards,
> which if so, is unfortunate.

that is not true, I've done a couple of installs on machines that only
hae usb keyboards and its been fine. Could it be a model / bios /
firmware issue ?

- KB

Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> On 07/12/2011 02:32 PM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
>> Add: AMD Geode (586 non-PAE) can run CentOS 5 but not 6.
>>
>> Desired: Somebody who is good with repos and rpms please put the
>> linux kernel (for centos 6) "somewhere" so
>
> the via EPIA and the P3 mentioned earlier in this thread are all i686
> compatible, so pose no real issue for C6 to run on. However, with the
> Geode, it might be a bit more difficult.
>
> also, i suspect its not just the kernel that needs rebuilding and
> mod'ing of patches for, you might need to rebuild much of
> userland as well.
>
> - KB

-march=i586 cures many many many ills.
Rebuilding the whole damned distro takes a few zillion machine cycles.
Running the Linux Verification Suite takes another few zillion cycles.
But, once done, it's done.
It's just more spin domain knowledge than I wanted to become proficient
at. However: if nobody else will, I must, or I must take my employers'
product/project and go elsewhere.

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

//me