Old 07-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Florin Andrei

Default 6.0 text-mode installer broken?

(I'm doing tests in a VirtualBox instance, so take this with a grain of
salt.)

If you give the VM only 512 MB of RAM, the text-mode installer kicks in.
It does not prompt you to configure anything related to the network or
hostname. The system boots up without a network interface configured.
Also, it won't let you choose the install mode, I guess it defaults to
Minimal (which is fine by me, but still it's a bug).

If you give the VM 768 MB of RAM, the GUI installer is launched, and
this one allows you to configure the hostname, the networking details,
and choose the install mode. The system boots up with networking and all
the niceties enabled.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/

Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Athmane Madjoudj

On 07/12/2011 12:17 AM, Florin Andrei wrote:
> (I'm doing tests in a VirtualBox instance, so take this with a grain of
> salt.)
>
> If you give the VM only 512 MB of RAM, the text-mode installer kicks in.
> It does not prompt you to configure anything related to the network or
> hostname. The system boots up without a network interface configured.
> Also, it won't let you choose the install mode, I guess it defaults to
> Minimal (which is fine by me, but still it's a bug).
>
> If you give the VM 768 MB of RAM, the GUI installer is launched, and
> this one allows you to configure the hostname, the networking details,
> and choose the install mode. The system boots up with networking and all
> the niceties enabled.

I saw this in rhel 6 and newer fedora versions, the anaconda text
installer comes with minimal options, to have full options you should
use GUI or use kickstart.

--
Athmane Madjoudj

Old 07-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Scott Robbins

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 04:17:24PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> (I'm doing tests in a VirtualBox instance, so take this with a grain of
> salt.)
>
> If you give the VM only 512 MB of RAM, the text-mode installer kicks in.
> It does not prompt you to configure anything related to the network or
> hostname. The system boots up without a network interface configured.
> Also, it won't let you choose the install mode, I guess it defaults to
> Minimal (which is fine by me, but still it's a bug).

It's possible--according to RH, it's streamlined and
simplified--accordingto everyone else, it's become a crippled thing.
I know that there is no option for disk partitioning, and possibly no
option for custom package selection.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: People to see, demons to kill.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Robert Heller

> (I'm doing tests in a VirtualBox instance, so take this with a grain of
> salt.)
>
> If you give the VM only 512 MB of RAM, the text-mode installer kicks in.
> It does not prompt you to configure anything related to the network or
> hostname. The system boots up without a network interface configured.
> Also, it won't let you choose the install mode, I guess it defaults to
> Minimal (which is fine by me, but still it's a bug).
>
> If you give the VM 768 MB of RAM, the GUI installer is launched, and
> this one allows you to configure the hostname, the networking details,
> and choose the install mode. The system boots up with networking and all
> the niceties enabled.

I don't know if this relates or not, but attempting to install FC15 in a
VM with only 512M of memory, fails: the kernel / installer hangs. It
looks like the minimum memory requirements to install FC15 (and it looks
like RHel / CentOS 6 as well) is something greater than 512meg and probably
something closer to 1G.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:10 AM
helpaz

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 02:17, Florin Andrei <florin@andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> (I'm doing tests in a VirtualBox instance, so take this with a grain of
> salt.)
>
> If you give the VM only 512 MB of RAM, the text-mode installer kicks in.
> It does not prompt you to configure anything related to the network or
> hostname. The system boots up without a network interface configured.
> Also, it won't let you choose the install mode, I guess it defaults to
> Minimal (which is fine by me, but still it's a bug).
>
> If you give the VM 768 MB of RAM, the GUI installer is launched, and
> this one allows you to configure the hostname, the networking details,
> and choose the install mode. The system boots up with networking and all
> the niceties enabled.
>
> --
> Florin Andrei
> http://florin.myip.org/

http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.0
4. Known Issues
The installer needs at least 392MB of memory to work. Text mode will
automatically be used if the system has less than 652MB of memory.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Florin Andrei wrote:
> (I'm doing tests in a VirtualBox instance, so take this with a grain of
> salt.)
>
> If you give the VM only 512 MB of RAM, the text-mode installer kicks in.
> It does not prompt you to configure anything related to the network or
> hostname. The system boots up without a network interface configured.
> Also, it won't let you choose the install mode, I guess it defaults to
> Minimal (which is fine by me, but still it's a bug).
>
> If you give the VM 768 MB of RAM, the GUI installer is launched, and
> this one allows you to configure the hostname, the networking details,
> and choose the install mode. The system boots up with networking and all
> the niceties enabled.

Someone posted that you can use VNC to install CentOS 6.

Excerpts:

"Anaconda therefore includes a Virtual Network Computing (VNC) mode that
allows the graphical mode of the installer to run locally, but display
on a system connected to the network. Installing in VNC mode provides
you with the full range of installation options, even in situations
where the system lacks a display or input devices."

Visit installation guide for more info:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/vncwhitepaperadded.html

Ljubomir

Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 AM
R P Herrold

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> Someone posted that you can use VNC to install CentOS 6.

and this has WHAT to do with low ram installs?

PLEASE stop this noise, just to hear yourself talk, Ljubomir

-- Russ herrold

Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 AM
"Andy Holt"

> > Someone posted that you can use VNC to install CentOS 6.
>
> and this has WHAT to do with low ram installs?

It means you get to do a graphical install, which you otherwise can't if you don't have enough RAM i.e. less than 652MB.

hth Andy

Tue Jul 12 13:30:01 2011
From: =?UTF-8?Q?=E5=A4=9C=E7=A5=9E_=E5=B2=A9=E7=94=B7?=
<supergiantpotato@yahoo.co.jp>
To: centos@centos.org
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:41:04 +0900
Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS 6 system-config-network missing
Sender: centos-bounces@centos.org

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 16:00 -0700, Emmett Culley wrote:
> On 07/11/2011 03:26 PM, b.j. mcclure wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 14:35 -0700, Emmett Culley wrote:
> >> The network configuration GUI is not to be found on any of the CentOS repos or on EPEL. I am not interested in having NetworkManager installed on a server. Is there an application that takes the place of system-config-network?
> >>
> >> Emmett
> >
> > There was much discussion about this on the RHEL 6 beta list several
> > months ago. Many complaints but nothing came of it as far as I know. I
> > just edit the config files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/.
> >
> > B.J.
> >
> > RHEL 6.0, Linux 2.6.32-131.2.1.el6.x86_64
>
> I guess I'll have to do that as well. I couldn't manage bridge network via the GUI anyway. I might try installing NetworkManager and disabling NM control for the bridged devices, but for now it seems easier to just edit the files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
>
> After all, they shouldn't be changing all that often on servers anyway...
>
> Emmett

Having had to deal with this a *lot* across a variety of Fedora-based
systems for several months now, the most reliable replacement for
NetworkManager I have found truly is vi.

-Iwao

Old 07-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Rudi Ahlers

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Andy Holt <centos-list@orgdotuk.org.uk> wrote:
>> > Someone posted that you can use VNC to install CentOS 6.
>>
>> and this has WHAT to do with low ram installs?
>
> It means you get to do a graphical install, which you otherwise can't if you don't have enough RAM i.e. less than 652MB.
>
> hth Andy

Surely Russ would have known that, if he followed the link to the
RHEL6 documentation on THIS VERY MATTER.

Russ, there's no need to be rude to someone who's trying to help.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>> and this has WHAT to do with low ram installs?
>> It means you get to do a graphical install, which you otherwise can't if you don't have enough RAM i.e. less than 652MB.
>>
>> hth Andy

> Surely Russ would have known that, if he followed the link to the
> RHEL6 documentation on THIS VERY MATTER.
>
> Russ, there's no need to be rude to someone who's trying to help.

Russ point's out that if installer lacks enough RAM for full graphical
install it will not have it for VNC install either.

That very much might be true, but you have nothing to loose to try and
report back

Ljubomir