Old 07-12-2011, 02:12 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

Default 6.0 text-mode installer broken?

centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> (I'm doing tests in a VirtualBox instance, so take this with
> a grain of
> salt.)
>
> If you give the VM only 512 MB of RAM, the text-mode
> installer kicks in.

> If you give the VM 768 MB of RAM, the GUI installer is launched,

Can you decieve this installer with swap?

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

//me

Old 07-12-2011, 02:16 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>
>> Someone posted that you can use VNC to install CentOS 6.
>
> and this has WHAT to do with low ram installs?
>
> PLEASE stop this noise, just to hear yourself talk, Ljubomir

In this context, Russ, Ljubomir > Russ for adding useful fact to the
list.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Lamar Owen

On Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:12:21 AM Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
> centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> > If you give the VM 768 MB of RAM, the GUI installer is launched,

> Can you decieve this installer with swap?

Overcommit on the host, if you can do that.

If you could get a shell before anaconda starts you might possibly be able to set up swap; have never tried that.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Florin Andrei

On 07/12/2011 12:10 AM, helpaz wrote:

> http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.0
> 4. Known Issues
> The installer needs at least 392MB of memory to work. Text mode will
> automatically be used if the system has less than 652MB of memory.

Yeah, that's it, I'm reading the notes now.

It's not terribly bad, since there are few systems nowadays with only
512 MB of RAM (that you would want to run C6 on). Just a bit annoying.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/

Old 07-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Les Mikesell

On 7/12/2011 1:46 PM, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On 07/12/2011 12:10 AM, helpaz wrote:
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.0
>> 4. Known Issues
>> The installer needs at least 392MB of memory to work. Text mode will
>> automatically be used if the system has less than 652MB of memory.
>
> Yeah, that's it, I'm reading the notes now.
>
> It's not terribly bad, since there are few systems nowadays with only
> 512 MB of RAM (that you would want to run C6 on). Just a bit annoying.

It would be nice if there were a straightforward way to adjust the
configured devices on an installed system like you have to do if you
want to restore a backup onto different hardware. It's not impossible,
but you have to know as much about hardware and drivers as the
mostly-undocumented installer to do it. If it were simple, you could
install an image in a comfortably-equipped VM, then clone it to a
minimal runtime system. I suppose you could go though those motions to
get the kickstart file that is logged as part of the install and use
that to repeat the install.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 07-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 07/12/2011 12:17 AM, Florin Andrei wrote:
> If you give the VM only 512 MB of RAM, the text-mode installer kicks in.
> It does not prompt you to configure anything

you can use a kickstart to get all the config options in.

- KB