Old 07-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Gary Gatling

Default problems with burning i386 centos 6 dvd

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the CentOS 6 distro. I am having trouble burning the i386
dvds. I tried on a RHEL 6 deskop and also a CentOS 5 laptop. The command I
am running on both systems is this:

growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=4 -Z
/dev/sr0=/home/gsgatlin/CentOS-6.0-i386-bin-DVD/CentOS-6.0-i386-bin-DVD.iso

The error I am seeing is:

:-( /dev/sr0: 2295104 blocks are free, 2297586 to be written!

(Yes it puts a sad face on the command line)

The DVD says DVD +R on it if that matters.

I was able to burn the 64 bit dvd's ok with similar commands. (both #1
and #2)

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for any ideas.

Gary Gatling | ITECS Systems

Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Peter Hinse

Am 11.07.2011 22:47, schrieb Gary Gatling:

> Thanks a lot for the CentOS 6 distro. I am having trouble burning the i386
> dvds. I tried on a RHEL 6 deskop and also a CentOS 5 laptop. The command I
> am running on both systems is this:
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=4 -Z
> /dev/sr0=/home/gsgatlin/CentOS-6.0-i386-bin-DVD/CentOS-6.0-i386-bin-DVD.iso
>
> The error I am seeing is:
>
> :-( /dev/sr0: 2295104 blocks are free, 2297586 to be written!
>
> (Yes it puts a sad face on the command line)
>
> The DVD says DVD +R on it if that matters.
>
> I was able to burn the 64 bit dvd's ok with similar commands. (both #1
> and #2)
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong?

See the Release Notes:
http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.0

"The i386 DVD is just a bit too large to fit on normal single layer
DVD+R media. It can be burnt succesfully on DVD-R."

Peter.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Thomas Johansson

On 2011-07-11 22:47, Gary Gatling wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Thanks a lot for the CentOS 6 distro. I am having trouble burning the i386
> dvds. I tried on a RHEL 6 deskop and also a CentOS 5 laptop. The command I
> am running on both systems is this:
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=4 -Z
> /dev/sr0=/home/gsgatlin/CentOS-6.0-i386-bin-DVD/CentOS-6.0-i386-bin-DVD.iso
>
> The error I am seeing is:
>
> :-( /dev/sr0: 2295104 blocks are free, 2297586 to be written!
>
> (Yes it puts a sad face on the command line)
>
> The DVD says DVD +R on it if that matters.
>
> I was able to burn the 64 bit dvd's ok with similar commands. (both #1
> and #2)
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Gary Gatling | ITECS Systems

There was a note in the release notes that it would fit on a DVD-R, but not a DVD+R.
http://wiki.centos.org/Man​uals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.​0#head-710e17fe8ed8c98a1fe​4faee4e11e2135df09fff

/Thomas

Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Gary Gatling

Ah. Cool. Thanks a lot. That makes sense. I'll have to buy some of those
DVD-R's tonight.

Gary Gatling | ITECS Systems

Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Earl

On Monday, July 11, 2011 04:17:18 PM Gary Gatling wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Thanks a lot for the CentOS 6 distro. I am having trouble burning the i386
> dvds. I tried on a RHEL 6 deskop and also a CentOS 5 laptop. The command I
> am running on both systems is this:
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=4 -Z
> /dev/sr0=/home/gsgatlin/CentOS-6.0-i386-bin-DVD/CentOS-6.0-i386-bin-DVD.iso
>
> The error I am seeing is:
> :-( /dev/sr0: 2295104 blocks are free, 2297586 to be written!
>
> (Yes it puts a sad face on the command line)
>
> The DVD says DVD +R on it if that matters.
>
> I was able to burn the 64 bit dvd's ok with similar commands. (both #1
> and #2)
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Gary Gatling | ITECS Systems

Hi Gary,

>From the release notes for CentOS 6.0:

The i386 DVD is just a bit too large to fit on normal single layer DVD+R
media. It can be burnt succesfully on DVD-R.

So if you have a DVD-R around.. try it!

earl

Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 07/11/2011 09:54 PM, Earl wrote:
> The i386 DVD is just a bit too large to fit on normal single layer DVD+R
> media. It can be burnt succesfully on DVD-R.

this was a bit unfortunate, for 6.1 we might need to split i386 into 2
DVD's as well ( there are some more rpms added to the distro at 6.1 stage )

- KB

Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Keith Roberts

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> From: Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] problems with burning i386 centos 6 dvd
>
> On 07/11/2011 09:54 PM, Earl wrote:
>> The i386 DVD is just a bit too large to fit on normal single layer DVD+R
>> media. It can be burnt succesfully on DVD-R.
>
> this was a bit unfortunate, for 6.1 we might need to split i386 into 2
> DVD's as well ( there are some more rpms added to the distro at 6.1 stage )

I've also looked into the differences between DVD-R(W)
disks, and the DVD+R(W) disks. It appears that the DVD+R(W)
disks are more reliable, as they have better error
correction methods that their DVD-R(W) counterparts.

So for that reason I only use DVD+R(W) media to burn things
to.

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 07-14-2011, 11:45 PM
John R Pierce

On 07/14/11 4:14 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
> I've also looked into the differences between DVD-R(W)
> disks, and the DVD+R(W) disks. It appears that the DVD+R(W)
> disks are more reliable, as they have better error
> correction methods that their DVD-R(W) counterparts.

My experience is, some players/readers prefer the DVD-R, others prefer
the DVD+R, but most anything newer than first generation ancient DVD
doesn't care. DVD-R has slightly more capacity which is important
here. I think the differennce in reliability is a red herring.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 07-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Lamar Owen

On Thursday, July 14, 2011 07:45:56 PM John R Pierce wrote:
> DVD-R has slightly more capacity which is important
> here. I think the differennce in reliability is a red herring.

There is a difference in the technology used for burning, and I've seen where DVD- burning did not work but DVD+ did in the same burner (I've also seen the opposite, and I've seen DVD burners that wouldn't burn or read CD's, too (optical issues with the laser's focus, since a DVD's depth of focus is shorter than a CD's)).

And I'm not talking subtle errors, here, but whole files that are corrupted in massive ways. Apparently the DVD- code path in that burner's firmware interacts in a bad way with the DVD- code paths in wodim/growisofs where the DVD+ code paths in both the burner's firmware and in wodim/growisofs did not have the problem.

(That's just a kind way of saying that the combination of the wodim DVD- code and the burner's DVD- code is buggy; neither is buggy by itself, but the combination is.)

The same code with a different machine and different burner works fine.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Keith Roberts

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, John R Pierce wrote:

> To: centos@centos.org
> From: John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] problems with burning i386 centos 6 dvd
>
> On 07/14/11 4:14 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> I've also looked into the differences between DVD-R(W)
>> disks, and the DVD+R(W) disks. It appears that the DVD+R(W)
>> disks are more reliable, as they have better error
>> correction methods that their DVD-R(W) counterparts.
>
> My experience is, some players/readers prefer the DVD-R, others prefer
> the DVD+R, but most anything newer than first generation ancient DVD
> doesn't care. DVD-R has slightly more capacity which is important
> here. I think the differennce in reliability is a red herring.

Hi John. This is the article I was eluding to in my post:

Article Why DVD+R(W) is superior to DVD-R(W)
Date June 2003
Author Michael Spath

http://www.myce.com/article/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW-203/

As you can see, it's dated June 2003, so it might not be so
relevant now?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts