Old 07-15-2011, 06:13 PM
yonatan pingle

Default problems with burning i386 centos 6 dvd

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Keith Roberts <keith@karsites.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> To: centos@centos.org
>> From: John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>
>> Subject: Re: [CentOS] problems with burning i386 centos 6 dvd
>>
>> On 07/14/11 4:14 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>> I've also looked into the differences between DVD-R(W)
>>> disks, and the DVD+R(W) disks. It appears that the DVD+R(W)
>>> disks are more reliable, as they have better error
>>> correction methods that their DVD-R(W) counterparts.
>>
>> My experience is, some players/readers prefer the DVD-R, others prefer
>> the DVD+R, but most anything newer than first generation ancient DVD
>> doesn't care. * DVD-R has slightly more capacity which is important
>> here. * I think the differennce in reliability is a red herring.
>
> Hi John. This is the article I was eluding to in my post:
>
> Article Why DVD+R(W) is superior to DVD-R(W)
> Date * *June 2003
> Author *Michael Spath
>
> http://www.myce.com/article/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW-203/
>
> As you can see, it's dated June 2003, so it might not be so
> relevant now?
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Keith Roberts

> Websites:
> http://www.karsites.net
> http://www.php-debuggers.net
> http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk
>
> All email addresses are challenge-response protected with
> TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Any pros vs cons on using a bootable USB thumb drive instead of CD/DVD ?

this might be the better solution as the images just grow larger and
larger each update.

I find it much faster to install from USB.

--
Best Regards,
Yonatan Pingle

Old 07-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Keith Roberts

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011, yonatan pingle wrote:

*snip*

> Any pros vs cons on using a bootable USB thumb drive instead of CD/DVD ?
>
> this might be the better solution as the images just grow larger and
> larger each update.
>
> I find it much faster to install from USB.

I think that's an option I'm going to have to look into. I
suppose you would mount the iso image, and copy the files
directly to the USB flash drive?

FWIW: I've just dl'd Vista SP1 & 2 and some apps as well,
and that all worked well for updating a fresh install of
Vista. Just ran it all from the USB drive.

Keith

Old 07-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011, yonatan pingle wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
>> Any pros vs cons on using a bootable USB thumb drive instead of CD/DVD ?
>>
>> this might be the better solution as the images just grow larger and
>> larger each update.
>>
>> I find it much faster to install from USB.
>
> I think that's an option I'm going to have to look into. I
> suppose you would mount the iso image, and copy the files
> directly to the USB flash drive?

There are apps/scripts that convert DVD/CD ISO file for use on USB thumb
drive. There were even suggestions on one of centos mailing lists I
think, and net is full of howto's.

So no, it is not just copy, You need it to boot the installer.

Ljubomir

Old 07-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Keith Roberts

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> From: Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] problems with burning i386 centos 6 dvd
>
> Keith Roberts wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011, yonatan pingle wrote:
>>
>> *snip*
>>
>>> Any pros vs cons on using a bootable USB thumb drive instead of CD/DVD ?
>>>
>>> this might be the better solution as the images just grow larger and
>>> larger each update.
>>>
>>> I find it much faster to install from USB.
>>
>> I think that's an option I'm going to have to look into. I
>> suppose you would mount the iso image, and copy the files
>> directly to the USB flash drive?
>
> There are apps/scripts that convert DVD/CD ISO file for use on USB thumb
> drive. There were even suggestions on one of centos mailing lists I
> think, and net is full of howto's.
>
> So no, it is not just copy, You need it to boot the installer.

OK, that's something I will take a look at ASAP.

Thanks