FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-11-2011, 08:44 PM
david
 
Default Installing from CD

Folks

The machine I'm trying to load does not have a DVD reader, but only a
CD reader.

Are the multiple CD images of CENTOS 6 available somewhere? Earlier
versions had them.

Thanks

David

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default Installing from CD

david wrote:
> Folks
>
> The machine I'm trying to load does not have a DVD reader, but only a
> CD reader.
>
> Are the multiple CD images of CENTOS 6 available somewhere? Earlier
> versions had them.
>
> Thanks
>
> David
>
As far as I know, this was not planed, at least not yet. For now, all
you can do is to use USB DVD and install from those.

Ljubomir
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-11-2011, 09:13 PM
david
 
Default Installing from CD

At 02:10 PM 7/11/2011, you wrote:
>david wrote:
> > Folks
> >
> > The machine I'm trying to load does not have a DVD reader, but only a
> > CD reader.
> >
> > Are the multiple CD images of CENTOS 6 available somewhere? Earlier
> > versions had them.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > David
> >
>As far as I know, this was not planed, at least not yet. For now, all
>you can do is to use USB DVD and install from those.
>
>Ljubomir


I wish I could, but this machine can boot only from a CD, a diskette
or a HardDrive. USB is not an option.

Am I stuck on Centos 5.x forever, or will the multi-CD images appear
eventually?

David

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Ron Blizzard
 
Default Installing from CD

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 4:13 PM, david <david@daku.org> wrote:

> I wish I could, but this machine can boot only from a CD, a diskette
> or a HardDrive. *USB is not an option.
>
> Am I stuck on Centos 5.x forever, or will the multi-CD images appear
> eventually?

The CentOS 6 announcement says that a Live CD (which will allow
installation) and a Minimal Install CD are on the way "within a few
days." I don't know for sure, but I think I remember that "Upstream"
decided to no longer support multiple CDs when they went to version 6
of their product. You'll no longer find CD sets of version 6 at
Scientific Linux either -- although they also have various Live and
Minimal CDs available.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.6
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 PM
"Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane"
 
Default Installing from CD

> -----Original Message-----
> From: centos-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On
> Behalf Of david
> Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 17:13
> To: CentOS mailing list
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Installing from CD
>
> At 02:10 PM 7/11/2011, you wrote:
> >david wrote:
> > > Folks
> > >
> > > The machine I'm trying to load does not have a DVD reader, but
only
> a
> > > CD reader.
> > >
> > > Are the multiple CD images of CENTOS 6 available somewhere?
> Earlier
> > > versions had them.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > David
> > >
> >As far as I know, this was not planed, at least not yet. For now, all
> >you can do is to use USB DVD and install from those.
> >
> >Ljubomir
>
>
> I wish I could, but this machine can boot only from a CD, a diskette
> or a HardDrive. USB is not an option.
>
Boot with boot.iso
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Instal
lation_Guide/Making_Minimal_Boot_Media.html

But you will have to find some way to get the rest of the install to the
machine, such as
A local hard, USB
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Instal
lation_Guide/s1-begininstall-hd-x86.html
NFS
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Instal
lation_Guide/s1-begininstall-nfs-x86.html
HTTP
...
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Instal
lation_Guide/s1-installationmethod-x86.html


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 PM
David Lemcoe
 
Default Installing from CD

I have an old server I just put 6.0 on (about 2 hours ago) and it only has CD drive. a netinstall CD works just fine. If you have a decent network connection, some time on your hands, or you want a minimal installation, that's the way to go.


On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane <todd.denniston@navy.mil> wrote:





> -----Original Message-----

> From: centos-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On

> Behalf Of david

> Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 17:13

> To: CentOS mailing list

> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Installing from CD

>

> At 02:10 PM 7/11/2011, you wrote:

> >david wrote:

> > > Folks

> > >

> > > The machine I'm trying to load does not have a DVD reader, but

only

> a

> > > CD reader.

> > >

> > > Are the multiple CD images of CENTOS 6 available somewhere?

> Earlier

> > > versions had them.

> > >

> > > Thanks

> > >

> > > David

> > >

> >As far as I know, this was not planed, at least not yet. For now, all

> >you can do is to use USB DVD and install from those.

> >

> >Ljubomir

>

>

> I wish I could, but this machine can boot only from a CD, a diskette

> or a HardDrive. *USB is not an option.

>

Boot with boot.iso

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Instal


lation_Guide/Making_Minimal_Boot_Media.html



But you will have to find some way to get the rest of the install to the

machine, such as

A local hard, USB

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Instal

lation_Guide/s1-begininstall-hd-x86.html

NFS

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Instal

lation_Guide/s1-begininstall-nfs-x86.html

HTTP

...

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Instal


lation_Guide/s1-installationmethod-x86.html





_______________________________________________

CentOS mailing list

CentOS@centos.org

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 PM
david
 
Default Installing from CD

Dear Gurus
Thanks for the responses. I'll summarize what I've learned trying to
install Centos6 on a Dell Optiplex GX 240

Review:
a) I decried the lack of CD images for Centos6.
b) I was informed that it's unlikely they'll be produced due to an
upstream decision.
c) I pointed out that the machine only had floppy, CD and HD boots
capability.
d) I got a suggestion to use the network method.

Results:
1) PXE boot might work, but it seems that it's a lot of trouble
setting up a PXE server. I'm still working on it.
2) The NET-INSTALL indeed did work, with the following gotchas:
2a) The URL to enter is not obvious.
2b) I tried the one at Stanford, and at uidaho, but they failed.
2c) Finally,
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.0/os/i386 worked.
3) SInce I had only a text install, various interesting and
important programs were missing:
ssh (which apparently is masquerading under the name
"openssh-clients"), ftp and perl, which YUM got for me.

4) The module perl-Digest-MD5 was not in the repository. Was
its removal intentional, or is it hiding in some other Centos6 repository?

5) The line-by-line notation during bootstrap is no longer
shown. This makes it difficult to detect where hangups occur during
the bootstrap process. Is there a way to display those notations in real time?

Conclusion:
I'm still trying

David

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Keith Roberts
 
Default Installing from CD

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, david wrote:

> To: CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org>
> From: david <david@daku.org>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Installing from CD
>
> Dear Gurus
> Thanks for the responses. I'll summarize what I've learned trying to
> install Centos6 on a Dell Optiplex GX 240
>
> Review:
> a) I decried the lack of CD images for Centos6.
> b) I was informed that it's unlikely they'll be produced due to an
> upstream decision.
> c) I pointed out that the machine only had floppy, CD and HD boots
> capability.
> d) I got a suggestion to use the network method.
>
> Results:
> 1) PXE boot might work, but it seems that it's a lot of trouble
> setting up a PXE server. I'm still working on it.
> 2) The NET-INSTALL indeed did work, with the following gotchas:
> 2a) The URL to enter is not obvious.
> 2b) I tried the one at Stanford, and at uidaho, but they failed.
> 2c) Finally,
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.0/os/i386 worked.
> 3) SInce I had only a text install, various interesting and
> important programs were missing:
> ssh (which apparently is masquerading under the name
> "openssh-clients"), ftp and perl, which YUM got for me.
>
> 4) The module perl-Digest-MD5 was not in the repository. Was
> its removal intentional, or is it hiding in some other Centos6 repository?
>
> 5) The line-by-line notation during bootstrap is no longer
> shown. This makes it difficult to detect where hangups occur during
> the bootstrap process. Is there a way to display those notations in real time?
>
> Conclusion:
> I'm still trying

Hi David. I seem to remember doing an http:// install using
the net installer CD. I did it via my LAN from my main
machine to an old laptop that could not read the DVD media.

Is that an option on the Centos net installer CD, and will
that work for you?

I think you just need to copy the OS installation files in a
directory under your Apache Document_root, and the installer
just grabs the files via http.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Installation_Guide/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html#id886240
4.6. Preparing for a Network Installation

Kind Regards,

Keith

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

All email addresses are challenge-response protected with
TMDA [http://tmda.net]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Keith Roberts
 
Default Installing from CD

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Keith Roberts wrote:

**snip**

>> Conclusion:
>> I'm still trying
>
> Hi David. I seem to remember doing an http:// install using
> the net installer CD. I did it via my LAN from my main
> machine to an old laptop that could not read the DVD media.
>
> Is that an option on the Centos net installer CD, and will
> that work for you?
>
> I think you just need to copy the OS installation files in a
> directory under your Apache Document_root, and the installer
> just grabs the files via http.
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Installation_Guide/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html#id886240
> 4.6. Preparing for a Network Installation

This was a few years ago, but IIRC, I just created a
temporary directory under my Apache DocumentRoot, and then
mounted the DVD iso image in my downloads directory, with
something like this:

[root]# mount -v CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-DVD.iso /srv/www/centos-5.5 -o loop

Then from the machine I was going to do the http network
install on, I used a web browser to check that I could get a
directory listing of the DVD's contents, mounted under
/srv/www/centos-5.5

Give Anaconda the IP address of the machine you want to
install from, and the directory and then it does the rest I
think.

HTH

Keith

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

All email addresses are challenge-response protected with
TMDA [http://tmda.net]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 AM
Mogens Kjaer
 
Default Installing from CD

On 07/12/2011 01:11 AM, david wrote:
> 5) The line-by-line notation during bootstrap is no longer
> shown. This makes it difficult to detect where hangups occur during
> the bootstrap process. Is there a way to display those notations in real time?

Yes, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and remove "rhgb quiet".

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:47 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org