FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default Installing from CD

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 7/13/2011 10:01 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>> Yeah, but it is really hard to find atapi style laptop drives, everything
>>> has gone to sata.
>> Try the older latops, you might even pick up a bare drive on
>> ebay.
>>
>
> I haven't tried it with a cd/dvd drive, but you can get inexpensive USB
> cables with combo adapters for IDE (both full and laptop size) and sata
> with corresponding power connectors that are very handy to have around
> for temporary hookups.
>
It is a same thing. They are basically HDD PATA and/or SATA controllers
with USB connection to PC. I have even hooked up IDE DOM modules
(without the actual cable).

Ljubomir
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Keith Roberts
 
Default Installing from CD

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Les Mikesell wrote:

> To: centos@centos.org
> From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Installing from CD
>
> On 7/13/2011 10:01 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>
>>>>
>>> Yeah, but it is really hard to find atapi style laptop drives, everything
>>> has gone to sata.
>>
>> Try the older latops, you might even pick up a bare drive on
>> ebay.
>>
>
> I haven't tried it with a cd/dvd drive, but you can get inexpensive USB
> cables with combo adapters for IDE (both full and laptop size) and sata
> with corresponding power connectors that are very handy to have around
> for temporary hookups.

That sounds the easiest path to go to. But if you are using
USB to start with, why not try installing Centos from the
USB drive directly to the fixed HDD in the machine? Or am I
missing something?

Keith

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

All email addresses are challenge-response protected with
TMDA [http://tmda.net]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Installing from CD

On 7/13/2011 12:15 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>
>> I haven't tried it with a cd/dvd drive, but you can get inexpensive USB
>> cables with combo adapters for IDE (both full and laptop size) and sata
>> with corresponding power connectors that are very handy to have around
>> for temporary hookups.
>
> That sounds the easiest path to go to. But if you are using
> USB to start with, why not try installing Centos from the
> USB drive directly to the fixed HDD in the machine? Or am I
> missing something?

Yes, I meant that it should work to hook any DVD drive in your junk box
(or that you can temporarily pull from something else) to anything with
USB 2.0 (life is too short for 1.x) - just that I hadn't tried it and
the cable is also handy for other things.

But, nfs is fast and easy if you already have some other linux system
installed on the network. I like to keep a directory exported via both
nfs and samba (read only for most of the network) so there is no special
setup need for that sort of install other than copying out the 'images'
directory from the dvd image as described in the docs. With the old CD
sets you didn't even have to do that.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-13-2011, 07:25 PM
John R Pierce
 
Default Installing from CD

On 07/13/11 8:30 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I haven't tried it with a cd/dvd drive, but you can get inexpensive USB
> cables with combo adapters for IDE (both full and laptop size) and sata
> with corresponding power connectors that are very handy to have around
> for temporary hookups.

afaik, those won't work with CD/DVD drives, as they use a completely
different command protocol on the IDE/SATA (ATAPI is scsi based
commands over the IDE or SATA port). Anyways, an older system probably
can't boot from a USB CD/DVD.



--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Ron Blizzard
 
Default Installing from CD

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 07/13/11 8:30 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I haven't tried it with a cd/dvd drive, but you can get inexpensive USB
>> cables with combo adapters for IDE (both full and laptop size) and sata
>> with corresponding power connectors that are very handy to have around
>> for temporary hookups.
>
> afaik, those won't work with CD/DVD drives, as they use a completely
> different command protocol on the IDE/SATA *(ATAPI is scsi based
> commands over the IDE or SATA port). * Anyways, an older system probably
> can't boot from a USB CD/DVD.

I've got an IDE/SATA to USB cable converter with power supply and it
works fine on CD and DVD drives.

Here's basically what I have on eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/6yabazh

Though, if you've just one older server, it probably makes more sense
to just get a cheap DVD drive.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.6
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:01 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org