Old 07-13-2011, 04:46 AM
Ron Blizzard

Default Installing from CD

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 2:54 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

>> If he's talking about a standard Optiplex GX240, it takes a regular
>> IDE DVD drive which is almost a throw-away item these days.
>
> an HP DL140 is a 1U server that uses a very slim laptop style drive.

Even laptop style DVD drives have become a near throw-away item.
Everyone wants DVD writers now.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.6

Old 07-13-2011, 04:49 AM
Ron Blizzard

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 13:44 -0700, david wrote:
>> Folks
>>
>> The machine I'm trying to load does not have a DVD reader, but only a
>> CD reader.
>>
>> Are the multiple CD images of CENTOS 6 available somewhere? *Earlier
>> versions had them.
> ----
> ubuntu LTS
>
> installs from a single CD
>
> allows you to partition prior to install
>
> Just sayin'

You can do the same with Puppy Linux, too -- and (probably) a hundred
other distributions. None of them would be CentOS.

But soon you won't have to compromise. Reportedly a Live CentOS CD is
on the way and it will also allow installation. The best of both
worlds.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.6

Old 07-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Steve Clark

*With an HP DL140 we open the cover and temporarily plug in a *standard atapi
*5.25 DVD drive in place of the CD drive.

If he's talking about a standard Optiplex GX240, it takes a regular
IDE DVD drive which is almost a throw-away item these days.

an HP DL140 is a 1U server that uses a very slim laptop style drive.

Even laptop style DVD drives have become a near throw-away item.
Everyone wants DVD writers now.

Yeah, but it is really hard to find atapi style laptop drives,
everything has gone to sata.

--

Stephen*Clark

NetWolves

Sr.*Software*Engineer*III

Phone:*813-579-3200

Fax:*813-882-0209

Email:*steve.clark@netwolves.com

http://www.netwolves.com

Old 07-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Steve Clark wrote:
> On 07/13/2011 12:46 AM, Ron Blizzard wrote:

>>> an HP DL140 is a 1U server that uses a very slim laptop style drive.
>> Even laptop style DVD drives have become a near throw-away item.
>> Everyone wants DVD writers now.
>>
> Yeah, but it is really hard to find atapi style laptop drives,
> everything has gone to sata.
>
> --

If there is support in the BIOS, you can use USB DVD drive, even if you
use USB rack for HDD 3.5" and hook regular DVD drive instead of HDD. I
have done that in the past.

Ljubomir

Old 07-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Keith Roberts

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Steve Clark wrote:

> From: Steve Clark <sclark@netwolves.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Installing from CD
>
> On 07/13/2011 12:46 AM, Ron Blizzard wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 2:54 PM, John R Pierce<pierce@hogranch.com>
>> wrote:

>> > an HP DL140 is a 1U server that uses a very slim laptop style drive.
>> Even laptop style DVD drives have become a near throw-away item.
>> Everyone wants DVD writers now.
>>
> Yeah, but it is really hard to find atapi style laptop drives, everything
> has gone to sata.

Try the older latops, you might even pick up a bare drive on
ebay.

HTH

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 07-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Keith Roberts

Old 07-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Craig White

On Jul 12, 2011, at 9:49 PM, Ron Blizzard wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 13:44 -0700, david wrote:
>>> Folks
>>>
>>> The machine I'm trying to load does not have a DVD reader, but only a
>>> CD reader.
>>>
>>> Are the multiple CD images of CENTOS 6 available somewhere? Earlier
>>> versions had them.
>> ----
>> ubuntu LTS
>>
>> installs from a single CD
>>
>> allows you to partition prior to install
>>
>> Just sayin'
>
> But soon you won't have to compromise. Reportedly a Live CentOS CD is
> on the way and it will also allow installation. The best of both
> worlds.
----
ignoring of course:

- live CD's are really slow to boot and the 'transfer' of the live image will consume a lot of install time

- you get no choice/options of partitioning

- you get a fully bloated installation when completed

a 'server install CD' could solve much of this but it would take a different version of anaconda to be able to do on the fly partitioning.

Craig

Old 07-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Craig White

----

Old 07-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Les Mikesell

On 7/13/2011 10:01 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:

>> Yeah, but it is really hard to find atapi style laptop drives, everything
>> has gone to sata.
>
> Try the older latops, you might even pick up a bare drive on
> ebay.

I haven't tried it with a cd/dvd drive, but you can get inexpensive USB
cables with combo adapters for IDE (both full and laptop size) and sata
with corresponding power connectors that are very handy to have around
for temporary hookups.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com