Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 AM
Muhammad Panji

Default Installing OS on Flash Drive on Server

Hi All,
On my gateway server I'm Installing CentOS on a flashdrive. is that a bad idea? the server keep hang, I can ping the server from the LAN and from the internet, the internet connection from LAN to internet is OK but another service is down, ssh, VPN (PPTPD) and another service. Even the console is unresponsive so I have to reset the server. Last time when I still can do SSH to server the / drive is mounted read only, when I try to remount rw it said error write protected but the flash drive itself have no write protection. I'm wondering is using Flashdrive on server OS is a bad idea? anyone have similar experience? thank you.

regards,

--
-----
Muhammad Panji

http://sumodirjo.wordpress.com* * * * * http://www.kurungsiku.web.id

Old 07-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Keith Roberts

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Muhammad Panji wrote:

> From: Muhammad Panji <sumodirjo@gmail.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] Installing OS on Flash Drive on Server
>
> Hi All,
> On my gateway server I'm Installing CentOS on a flashdrive. is that a bad
> idea? the server keep hang, I can ping the server from the LAN and from the
> internet, the internet connection from LAN to internet is OK but another
> service is down, ssh, VPN (PPTPD) and another service. Even the console is
> unresponsive so I have to reset the server. Last time when I still can do
> SSH to server the / drive is mounted read only, when I try to remount rw it
> said error write protected but the flash drive itself have no write
> protection. I'm wondering is using Flashdrive on server OS is a bad idea?
> anyone have similar experience? thank you.
> regards,

Hi Muhammad. You might like to check the mailing-list
archives for June, as there was quite a long discusiion on
using Flash USB drives an SSD's for Centos installations.

I think the general conclusions were that Flass drives are
not really designed for this, and will wear out quickly, and
the SDD's can fail without any warning whatsoever - and
bang does your OS and/or your data.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 07-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Muhammad Panji

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:14 PM, Keith Roberts <keith@karsites.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Muhammad Panji wrote:

>> From: Muhammad Panji <sumodirjo@gmail.com>
>> Subject: [CentOS] Installing OS on Flash Drive on Server
>>
>> Hi All,
>> On my gateway server I'm Installing CentOS on a flashdrive. is that a bad
>> idea? the server keep hang, I can ping the server from the LAN and from the
>> internet, the internet connection from LAN to internet is OK but another
>> service is down, ssh, VPN (PPTPD) and another service. Even the console is
>> unresponsive so I have to reset the server. Last time when I still can do
>> SSH to server the / drive is mounted read only, when I try to remount rw it
>> said error write protected but the flash drive itself have no write
>> protection. I'm wondering is using Flashdrive on server OS is a bad idea?
>> anyone have similar experience? thank you.
>> regards,
>
> Hi Muhammad. You might like to check the mailing-list
> archives for June, as there was quite a long discusiion on
> using Flash USB drives an SSD's for Centos installations.
>
> I think the general conclusions were that Flass drives are
> not really designed for this, and will wear out quickly, and
> the SDD's can fail without any warning whatsoever - and
> bang does your OS and/or your data.
Hi Keith thank you for the info. I will look at the archive. I just
change the flash drive with another flash drive last monday and today
the server error again. will reinstall the OS on a hard drive. Thank
you.

-----

http://www.linuxbox.web.id