Old 02-13-2008, 11:16 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default Performance Question

>Yes, jumbo frames, no irq coalescence, blockio and see if
>you can get Backup Exec to use large io request sizes when
>reading and writing the data. The larger the better.

Ok, Jumbo's enabled on the switch and media server. For the sake of our sanity jumping back and forth, I am trying to enable jumbo's on the bonded pair in the target, # ifconfig bond0 mtu 9014 and it errors out? Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Also, where do I tune irq coalescence?

Thanks!
jlc

Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Lol, sorry guys

Old 02-13-2008, 11:26 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> >Yes, jumbo frames, no irq coalescence, blockio and see if
> >you can get Backup Exec to use large io request sizes when
> >reading and writing the data. The larger the better.
>
> Ok, Jumbo's enabled on the switch and media server. For the
> sake of our sanity jumping back and forth, I am trying to
> enable jumbo's on the bonded pair in the target, # ifconfig
> bond0 mtu 9014 and it errors out? Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Yeah, it's MTU 9000 on Linux, Linux adds 14 byte ethernet frame
by default (standard MTU is actually 1514).

> Also, where do I tune irq coalescence?

It can be done through ethtool if the cards are supported,
or sometimes it needs to be done on mod load. Which card?

-Ross

Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 PM
"--[ UxBoD ]--"

Hello all,

we are about to configure a new storage system that utilizes the Nexenta OS with sparsely allocated ZVOLs.* We wish to present 4TB of storage to a Linux system that has four NICs available to it. We are unsure whether to present one large ZVOL or four smaller ones to maximize the use of the NICs available to us.* We have set rr_min_io to 100 which we have found offers a good level of performance.* Though this raises an interesting question; that the multipath.conf man pages says that the rr_min_io parameter is the number of IOs across the whole path group before a switch is made to the next path. What constitutes a single IO operation ? A user opens a file for read access, one IOP to open the file, IOsX to read the contents, and another to close ? Do each of those SCSI operations happen on the same path ie. on the same block device ? If a second user comes along and requests data from the same block device do they happen on the same path or the next one in the path group ? We imagine that they will all happen on the same path until rr_min_io is reached and it switches over to the next path.

We are trying to squeeze out the maximum performance from our system and we are unable to max out our 4 x 1Gbe interfaces. Any thoughts on how we can improve our performance ?
--
Thanks, Phil