-   -   Need the CentOS 4.3 i386 ISO (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/548603-need-centos-4-3-i386-iso.html)

Digimer 07-05-2011 08:51 PM

Need the CentOS 4.3 i386 ISO

Hi all,

I'm trying to rebuild a pretty old server. For this, I need a copy of
the CentOS 4.3 i386 DVD ISO, ideally. The torrent on the CentOS vault is
not working... Does anyone have a copy of:

CentOS-4.3-i386-binDVD.iso (md5sum: ca5ccf17951f4b4ef0460c7847e0f2ac)

Kicking around? I'd be much obliged if I could get a copy. :)

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Robert Heller 07-05-2011 09:34 PM

Need the CentOS 4.3 i386 ISO

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to rebuild a pretty old server. For this, I need a copy of
> the CentOS 4.3 i386 DVD ISO, ideally. The torrent on the CentOS vault is
> not working... Does anyone have a copy of:
>
> CentOS-4.3-i386-binDVD.iso (md5sum: ca5ccf17951f4b4ef0460c7847e0f2ac)
>
> Kicking around? I'd be much obliged if I could get a copy. :)

I have a set of 4.3 *CDs* I bought way back when from Cheapbytes. Will
this do?

John R Pierce 07-05-2011 09:48 PM

Need the CentOS 4.3 i386 ISO

On 07/05/11 1:51 PM, Digimer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to rebuild a pretty old server. For this, I need a copy of
> the CentOS 4.3 i386 DVD ISO, ideally. The torrent on the CentOS vault is
> not working... Does anyone have a copy of:
>
> CentOS-4.3-i386-binDVD.iso (md5sum: ca5ccf17951f4b4ef0460c7847e0f2ac)
>
> Kicking around? I'd be much obliged if I could get a copy. :)

why not 4.latest?

4.8 is here both as a download and a torrent
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/pub/centos/4/isos/i386/

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Digimer 07-06-2011 12:05 AM

Need the CentOS 4.3 i386 ISO

On 07/05/2011 05:34 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to rebuild a pretty old server. For this, I need a copy of
>> the CentOS 4.3 i386 DVD ISO, ideally. The torrent on the CentOS vault is
>> not working... Does anyone have a copy of:
>>
>> CentOS-4.3-i386-binDVD.iso (md5sum: ca5ccf17951f4b4ef0460c7847e0f2ac)
>>
>> Kicking around? I'd be much obliged if I could get a copy. :)
>
> I have a set of 4.3 *CDs* I bought way back when from Cheapbytes. Will
> this do?

The CD ISOs are available on the archive, I do believe. I had hoped to
avoid merging the CDs into a http-accessible directory and merging the
repos, if I can avoid it. I'll be installing as a Xen domU, so having a
single ISO also makes it easier to just boot off of the one image,
rather than needing to swap out mounted ISOs.

Very kind of you to offer though! :)

Digimer 07-06-2011 12:07 AM

Need the CentOS 4.3 i386 ISO

On 07/05/2011 05:48 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 07/05/11 1:51 PM, Digimer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to rebuild a pretty old server. For this, I need a copy of
>> the CentOS 4.3 i386 DVD ISO, ideally. The torrent on the CentOS vault is
>> not working... Does anyone have a copy of:
>>
>> CentOS-4.3-i386-binDVD.iso (md5sum: ca5ccf17951f4b4ef0460c7847e0f2ac)
>>
>> Kicking around? I'd be much obliged if I could get a copy. :)
>>

> why not 4.latest?
>
> 4.8 is here both as a download and a torrent
> ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/pub/centos/4/isos/i386/

It's a very heavily modified, and quite old, machine. We're going to
move away from it to a modern release, but until then, we don't want to
risk breaking anything. For this reason, we want to stick to the 4.3
install on the current server.

Andre Robatino 07-06-2011 07:01 AM

Need the CentOS 4.3 i386 ISO

Digimer <linux@...> writes:

> I'm trying to rebuild a pretty old server. For this, I need a copy of
> the CentOS 4.3 i386 DVD ISO, ideally. The torrent on the CentOS vault is
> not working... Does anyone have a copy of:
>
> CentOS-4.3-i386-binDVD.iso (md5sum: ca5ccf17951f4b4ef0460c7847e0f2ac)
>
> Kicking around? I'd be much obliged if I could get a copy. :)

I notice that the vault seems to consistently provide only CDs but not the DVD.
Since the delta isos going from the DVD to the CDs are of negligible size (for
example see the 13-Final/ and 14-Final/ subdirectories of
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/deltaisos/ ), it would probably be
better to do it the other way around (DVD + DVD->CD disos). The only downside
would be for people who only need a subset of the CDs having to use more
bandwidth to get them, but most people nowadays probably prefer the DVD anyway
(cheap DVD drives, virtual installs).

fred smith 07-06-2011 01:00 PM

Need the CentOS 4.3 i386 ISO

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 04:51:15PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to rebuild a pretty old server. For this, I need a copy of
> the CentOS 4.3 i386 DVD ISO, ideally. The torrent on the CentOS vault is
> not working... Does anyone have a copy of:
>
> CentOS-4.3-i386-binDVD.iso (md5sum: ca5ccf17951f4b4ef0460c7847e0f2ac)
>
> Kicking around? I'd be much obliged if I could get a copy. :)

have you looked at vault.centos.org?

http://vault.centos.org/4.3/isos/i386/

While we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg 07-06-2011 01:05 PM

Need the CentOS 4.3 i386 ISO

fred smith wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 04:51:15PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to rebuild a pretty old server. For this, I need a copy of
>> the CentOS 4.3 i386 DVD ISO, ideally. The torrent on the CentOS vault is
>> not working... Does anyone have a copy of:
>>
>> CentOS-4.3-i386-binDVD.iso (md5sum: ca5ccf17951f4b4ef0460c7847e0f2ac)
>>
>> Kicking around? I'd be much obliged if I could get a copy. :)
>
> have you looked at vault.centos.org?
>
> http://vault.centos.org/4.3/isos/i386/

well yeah, the OP mentions looking in the vault and indeed the DVD iso
is not there, only the DVD torrent (and CD isos).

Tom Brown 07-06-2011 01:10 PM

Need the CentOS 4.3 i386 ISO

> well yeah, the OP mentions looking in the vault and indeed the DVD iso
> is not there, only the DVD torrent (and CD isos).

Then just grab the CD iso's and make them into a DVD iso no ?

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/build/mkdvdiso.sh

or am i missing something

Les Mikesell 07-06-2011 01:54 PM

Need the CentOS 4.3 i386 ISO

On 7/6/2011 8:10 AM, Tom Brown wrote:
>> well yeah, the OP mentions looking in the vault and indeed the DVD iso
>> is not there, only the DVD torrent (and CD isos).
>
> Then just grab the CD iso's and make them into a DVD iso no ?
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/build/mkdvdiso.sh
>
> or am i missing something

Or drop the CD isos in an nfs-shared directory, burn the 1st one to boot
from and do an nfs install - you don't need to merge them or anything
like that - the installer knows how to deal with the iso files. But, I
think you are being too cautious about versions here. The point of an
'enterprise' distribution is that you don't have any unpleasant
surprises with updates within a major rev. They aren't always perfect,
but a lot of effort has gone into making 4.8 not break things where 4.3
would have worked.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com