Old 07-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Kaushal Shriyan

Default HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver

Hi

I am trying to install CentOS 5.6 on HP DL 180 G6 which has HP Smart
Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver. I have 4 * 500 GB SATA HDD
and configured RAID 1+0 using System BIOS, the BIOS detects usable
disk space as 940GB disk space, when i start installing the OS, it
does not detect HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver

As per http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=1 5351&prodSeriesId=3884339&swItem=MTX-ee8b3f5c09a44b8aa259d07d3d&prodNameId=3884340&swEn vOID=4004&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1

Is there a way to get .iso file during installation of CentOS Linux ?

Please suggest/guide

Regards

Kaushal

Old 07-05-2011, 02:18 PM

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to install CentOS 5.6 on HP DL 180 G6 which has HP Smart
> Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver. I have 4 * 500 GB SATA HDD
> and configured RAID 1+0 using System BIOS, the BIOS detects usable
> disk space as 940GB disk space, when i start installing the OS, it
> does not detect HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver
<snip>
Not familiar with the HP RAID controller card, but with others, you have
to go into the firmware on boot, and make the arrays, then make the
controller present it to the o/s. Until you do that very last step, you
don't see anything.

mark

Old 07-05-2011, 02:46 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I am trying to install CentOS 5.6 on HP DL 180 G6 which has HP Smart
>Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver. I have 4 * 500 GB SATA HDD
>and configured RAID 1+0 using System BIOS, the BIOS detects usable
>disk space as 940GB disk space, when i start installing the OS, it
>does not detect HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver

That thing is a software raid setup iirc, although there is an rpm for it
post install, you could use the ddkit from rhel to make a dd image but
frankly I would just use mdraid, turn off the riad setup and just use AHCI.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:08 PM

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>>I am trying to install CentOS 5.6 on HP DL 180 G6 which has HP Smart
>>Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver. I have 4 * 500 GB SATA HDD
>>and configured RAID 1+0 using System BIOS, the BIOS detects usable
>>disk space as 940GB disk space, when i start installing the OS, it
>>does not detect HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver
>
> That thing is a software raid setup iirc, although there is an rpm for it
> post install, you could use the ddkit from rhel to make a dd image but
> frankly I would just use mdraid, turn off the riad setup and just use
> AHCI.

Hmmm... if that's a software RAID, the o/s wouldn't see it, I would think,
until it was up. In that case, I'd make a plain vanilla partition
somewhere for /boot.

mark

Old 07-05-2011, 03:44 PM
John Doe

From: Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com>

> I am trying to install CentOS 5.6 on HP DL 180 G6 which has HP Smart
> Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver. I have 4 * 500 GB SATA HDD
> and configured RAID 1+0 using System BIOS, the BIOS detects usable
> disk space as 940GB disk space, when i start installing the OS, it
> does not detect HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver
> As per
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=1 5351&prodSeriesId=3884339&swItem=MTX-ee8b3f5c09a44b8aa259d07d3d&prodNameId=3884340&swEn vOID=4004&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1
> Is there a way to get .iso file during installation of CentOS Linux ?

As mark said, did you create one (or more) logical drive(s) after you created the array?
About the driver, they say: "The successful installation will replace the driver that shipped with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5" which seems to imply that a working driver exists already...
Also, remember for later that many hp tools/drivers do check the /etc/redhat-release for a specific Redhat release string...
If they see "CentOS ..." instead of "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)", it won't install.

JD

Old 07-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Kaushal Shriyan

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:14 PM, John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:
> From: Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com>
>
>> I am trying to install CentOS 5.6 on HP DL 180 G6 which has HP Smart
>> Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver. I have 4 * 500 GB SATA HDD
>> and configured RAID 1+0 using System BIOS, the BIOS detects usable
>> disk space as 940GB disk space, when i start installing the OS, it
>> does not detect HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver
>> As per
>> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=1 5351&prodSeriesId=3884339&swItem=MTX-ee8b3f5c09a44b8aa259d07d3d&prodNameId=3884340&swEn vOID=4004&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1
>> Is there a way to get .iso file during installation of CentOS Linux ?
>
> As mark said, did you create one (or more) logical drive(s) after you created the array?
> About the driver, they say: "The successful installation will replace the driver that shipped with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5" which seems to imply that a working driver exists already...
> Also, remember for later that many hp tools/drivers do check the /etc/redhat-release for a specific Redhat release string...
> If they see "CentOS ..." instead of "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)", it won't install.
>
> JD

Hi again

So what i understand is disable RAID mode on the BIOS and enable AHCI
mode and install the OS and install driver rpm and use the HP
proprietary solution and it would be a software raid or use mdadm
software RAID as provided by the OS ?

Please help me understand.

Regards,

Kaushal

Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Please help me understand.

If the device requires an additional driver, unless its packaged as a dd for use at
install, how can you install and then add a driver?

Disable RAID mode, set it to AHCI, then Anaconda will see all the individual discs
at which point during install you can choose to setup Linux md raid, far simpler
and almost always better than software raid IMHO.

Recovery and monitoring facilities are built into Linux, life's just easier...

Old 07-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Kaushal Shriyan

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 4:27 AM, Joseph L. Casale
<jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>Please help me understand.
>
> If the device requires an additional driver, unless its packaged as a dd for use at
> install, how can you install and then add a driver?
>
> Disable RAID mode, set it to AHCI, then Anaconda will see all the individual discs
> at which point during install you can choose to setup Linux md raid, far simpler
> and almost always better than software raid IMHO.
>
> Recovery and monitoring facilities are built into Linux, life's just easier...

Hi Joseph L Casale

>That thing is a software raid setup iirc, although there is an rpm for it
>post install, you could use the ddkit from rhel to make a dd image but
>frankly I would just use mdraid, turn off the riad setup and just use AHCI.

Thanks for the quick reply and explanation. You said use dd kit from
rhel and create a linux device driver image and supply drivers during
OS installation. dd command i suppose. Please further suggest.

I have extracted the rpm file and it has hpahcisr.o file. Am i
understanding you correctly ?

Thanks again

Regards

Kaushal

Old 07-06-2011, 07:03 AM
"Simon Matter"

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 4:27 AM, Joseph L. Casale
> <jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>>Please help me understand.
>>
>> If the device requires an additional driver, unless its packaged as a dd
>> for use at
>> install, how can you install and then add a driver?
>>
>> Disable RAID mode, set it to AHCI, then Anaconda will see all the
>> individual discs
>> at which point during install you can choose to setup Linux md raid, far
>> simpler
>> and almost always better than software raid IMHO.
>>
>> Recovery and monitoring facilities are built into Linux, life's just
>> easier...
>>

> Hi Joseph L Casale
>

>>That thing is a software raid setup iirc, although there is an rpm for it
>>post install, you could use the ddkit from rhel to make a dd image but
>>frankly I would just use mdraid, turn off the riad setup and just use
>> AHCI.
>
> Thanks for the quick reply and explanation. You said use dd kit from
> rhel and create a linux device driver image and supply drivers during
> OS installation. dd command i suppose. Please further suggest.
>
> I have extracted the rpm file and it has hpahcisr.o file. Am i
> understanding you correctly ?

Hi Kaushal,

Maybe there's some kind of misunderstanding. The term software raid can be
misleading because IMHO mdraid is also an software raid. So let's use the
term fakeraid for those controllers which make one believe they do
everything in their hardware but in fact simply do some kind of software
raid in thier proprietary OS driver.

So, what you should try to find out is whether your controller is not
usable in raid mode because the OS has no support for it (seems obvious)
or if you set the controller into AHCI mode in BIOS, if the controller is
usable by the OS without any additional driver.

So, go to the BIOS and set the disk controller to AHCI mode (if such
setting exists) and try to install the OS. If you'll see any disks in this
configuration, the just go with mdraid and you're done.

Simon

Old 07-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Kaushal Shriyan

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Simon Matter <simon.matter@invoca.ch> wrote:

>>> If the device requires an additional driver, unless its packaged as a dd
>>> for use at
>>> install, how can you install and then add a driver?
>>>
>>> Disable RAID mode, set it to AHCI, then Anaconda will see all the
>>> individual discs
>>> at which point during install you can choose to setup Linux md raid, far
>>> simpler
>>> and almost always better than software raid IMHO.
>>>
>>> Recovery and monitoring facilities are built into Linux, life's just
>>> easier...
>>>

>> Hi Joseph L Casale
>>

>>>That thing is a software raid setup iirc, although there is an rpm for it
>>>post install, you could use the ddkit from rhel to make a dd image but
>>>frankly I would just use mdraid, turn off the riad setup and just use
>>> AHCI.
>>
>> Thanks for the quick reply and explanation. You said use dd kit from
>> rhel and create a linux device driver image and supply drivers during
>> OS installation. *dd command i suppose. Please further suggest.
>>
>> I have extracted the rpm file and it has hpahcisr.o file. Am i
>> understanding you correctly ?
>
> Hi Kaushal,
>
> Maybe there's some kind of misunderstanding. The term software raid can be
> misleading because IMHO mdraid is also an software raid. So let's use the
> term fakeraid for those controllers which make one believe they do
> everything in their hardware but in fact simply do some kind of software
> raid in thier proprietary OS driver.
>
> So, what you should try to find out is whether your controller is not
> usable in raid mode because the OS has no support for it (seems obvious)
> or if you set the controller into AHCI mode in BIOS, if the controller is
> usable by the OS without any additional driver.
>
> So, go to the BIOS and set the disk controller to AHCI mode (if such
> setting exists) and try to install the OS. If you'll see any disks in this
> configuration, the just go with mdraid and you're done.
>
> Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the explanation. Please help me understand why do Hardware
Vendors provide onboard storage raid controller chipset on the
motherboard (fakeraid if its a software raid.). Is it a marketing
term for selling servers. Since it does not add value at all strictly
speaking due to the fact that the OS is unable to determine the
Logical drives.

Awaiting your earnest reply.

Regards

Kaushal