Old 07-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Kaushal Shriyan

Default Starting asterisk: /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk: line 86: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

Hi

Please help me understand about the below issue ?

[root@asterisk1 ~]# /etc/init.d/asterisk restart
Stopping safe_asterisk: [ OK ]
Shutting down asterisk: [ OK ]
Starting asterisk: /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk: line 86: ulimit: open
files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
[ OK ]
(reverse-i-search)`d': /etc/init.d/asterisk restart
[root@asterisk1 ~]# rpm -qa | grep asterisk
asterisk-sounds-core-en-gsm-1.4.21-1_centos5
asterisk18-1.8.4.4-1_centos5
asterisk18-core-1.8.4.4-1_centos5
asterisk18-doc-1.8.4.4-1_centos5
asterisk18-dahdi-1.8.4.4-1_centos5
asterisk18-configs-1.8.4.4-1_centos5
asterisk18-voicemail-1.8.4.4-1_centos5
[root@asterisk1 ~]# uname -a
Linux asterisk1 2.6.18-238.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 15:51:15 EST 2011
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@asterisk1 ~]# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.18-238.el5 (mockbuild@builder10.centos.org) (gcc
version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48)) #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 15:51:15
EST 2011
[root@asterisk1 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.6 (Final)
[root@asterisk1 ~]#

Regards

Kaushal

Old 07-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please help me understand about the below issue ?
>
> [root@asterisk1 ~]# /etc/init.d/asterisk restart
> Stopping safe_asterisk: [ OK ]
> Shutting down asterisk: [ OK ]
> Starting asterisk: /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk: line 86: ulimit: open
> files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

the message is pretty clear...
man ulimit
looks like that script is non-root when it tries to change the open
files ulimit, and tries to change it beyond the hard limit. So, fails.
Or if it's not non-root it could be selinux interfering (?).

Old 07-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Kaushal Shriyan

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
<Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg@imag.fr> wrote:
> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Please help me understand about the below issue ?
>>
>> [root@asterisk1 ~]# /etc/init.d/asterisk restart
>> Stopping safe_asterisk: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[ *OK *]
>> Shutting down asterisk: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[ *OK *]
>> Starting asterisk: /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk: line 86: ulimit: open
>> files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
>
> the message is pretty clear...
> man ulimit
> looks like that script is non-root when it tries to change the open
> files ulimit, and tries to change it beyond the hard limit. So, fails.
> Or if it's not non-root it could be selinux interfering (?).

Hi

I have disabled SElinux, still no luck. Let me know if you need more
information.

Regards

Kaushal

Old 07-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Kaushal Shriyan

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Kaushal Shriyan
<kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
> <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg@imag.fr> wrote:
>> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Please help me understand about the below issue ?
>>>
>>> [root@asterisk1 ~]# /etc/init.d/asterisk restart
>>> Stopping safe_asterisk: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[ *OK *]
>>> Shutting down asterisk: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[ *OK *]
>>> Starting asterisk: /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk: line 86: ulimit: open
>>> files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
>>
>> the message is pretty clear...
>> man ulimit
>> looks like that script is non-root when it tries to change the open
>> files ulimit, and tries to change it beyond the hard limit. So, fails.
>> Or if it's not non-root it could be selinux interfering (?).
>>

> Hi
>
> I have disabled SElinux, still no luck. Let me know if you need more
> information.
>
> Regards
>
> Kaushal

Hi Again,

Can someone please reply on my earlier post to this mailing list

Regards

Kaushal

Old 07-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Rob Kampen

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

[...]

answered. Is this an initial install or has something that was working,
stopped working.
If initial install - you need to go to where the asterisk expertise
exists - the asterisk forums.
If it used to work and now doesn't = look at what you changed - back up
and check again.

HTH