Old 05-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default HP MicroServer

A bit OT, but I'm running CentOS-5.6 on this machine
(in fact on two of them)
and it seems to run perfectly -
I've had no problems at all.

Except that I'd like to add a second ethernet port,
and am not sure where one can find a card that will fit this machine.
As far as I can see, it requires a half-height PCIe card,
which seems to be rather a rare animal.
(There doesn't seem to be a standard for the backplate.)

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried this?
Incidentally, is there a forum anywhere
for users of the MicroServer under Linux?

(The machine is unbelievably cheap at the moment,
due to a bizarre cashback offer from HP.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 05-08-2011, 02:28 PM
John R Pierce

On 05/08/11 6:53 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> A bit OT, but I'm running CentOS-5.6 on this machine
> (in fact on two of them)
> and it seems to run perfectly -
> I've had no problems at all.
>
> Except that I'd like to add a second ethernet port,
> and am not sure where one can find a card that will fit this machine.
> As far as I can see, it requires a half-height PCIe card,
> which seems to be rather a rare animal.
> (There doesn't seem to be a standard for the backplate.)

"low profile" is the buzzword, and there's lots of them. for example...
http://www.intel.com/products/server/adapters/pro1000pt/pro1000pt-overview.htm

or a dual port equivalent
http://www.intel.com/products/server/adapters/pro1000pt-dualport/pro1000pt-dualport-overview.htm

Old 05-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Ryan Wagoner

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:
> A bit OT, but I'm running CentOS-5.6 on this machine
> (in fact on two of them)
> and it seems to run perfectly -
> I've had no problems at all.
>
> Except that I'd like to add a second ethernet port,
> and am not sure where one can find a card that will fit this machine.
> As far as I can see, it requires a half-height PCIe card,
> which seems to be rather a rare animal.
> (There doesn't seem to be a standard for the backplate.

A number of cards come with a changeable plate to make them half
height. Below are links to Intel desktop and server cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106035

Ryan

Old 05-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Timothy Murphy

John R Pierce wrote:

>> Except that I'd like to add a second ethernet port,
>> and am not sure where one can find a card that will fit this machine.
>> As far as I can see, it requires a half-height PCIe card,
>> which seems to be rather a rare animal.
>> (There doesn't seem to be a standard for the backplate.)
>
> "low profile" is the buzzword, and there's lots of them. for example...
> http://www.intel.com/products/server/adapters/pro1000pt/pro1000pt-
overview.htm

Thanks for your response.
But I don't think "low profile" is enough -
the MicroServer needs half-height low profile,
and I don't think from the pictures the ones you pointed to are half-height.
(The backplate looks too high.)

> or a dual port equivalent
> http://www.intel.com/products/server/adapters/pro1000pt-
dualport/pro1000pt-dualport-overview.htm

For some reason the dual port NICs seem incredibly expensive -
more expensive than the computer, in fact.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Timothy Murphy

Ryan Wagoner wrote:

>> Except that I'd like to add a second ethernet port,
>> and am not sure where one can find a card that will fit this machine.
>> As far as I can see, it requires a half-height PCIe card,
>> which seems to be rather a rare animal.
>> (There doesn't seem to be a standard for the backplate.
>
> A number of cards come with a changeable plate to make them half
> height. Below are links to Intel desktop and server cards.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106011
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106035

Thanks very much.
I'll look at those (even though I am beyond the reach of newegg).
I know some cards come with two plates,
but I've yet to discover how one identifies them.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Alexander Dalloz

Am 08.05.2011 19:52, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> John R Pierce wrote:
>
>>> Except that I'd like to add a second ethernet port,
>>> and am not sure where one can find a card that will fit this machine.
>>> As far as I can see, it requires a half-height PCIe card,
>>> which seems to be rather a rare animal.
>>> (There doesn't seem to be a standard for the backplate.)
>>
>> "low profile" is the buzzword, and there's lots of them. for example...
>> http://www.intel.com/products/server/adapters/pro1000pt/pro1000pt-
> overview.htm
>
> Thanks for your response.
> But I don't think "low profile" is enough -
> the MicroServer needs half-height low profile,
> and I don't think from the pictures the ones you pointed to are half-height.
> (The backplate looks too high.)

The add-on card article by HP is

NC112T PCI-Express Gigabit-Serveradapter (503746-B21)

connector: 1x RJ-45
chipset: Intel i82574L
specials: Wake on LAN, low profile

>> or a dual port equivalent
>> http://www.intel.com/products/server/adapters/pro1000pt-
> dualport/pro1000pt-dualport-overview.htm
>
> For some reason the dual port NICs seem incredibly expensive -
> more expensive than the computer, in fact.

Dual port NICs working are i.e.

Intel Gigabit ET Server Adapter, 2x 1000Base-T, PCIe x4, low profile
(E1G42ET)

available for 120 Euro.

Alexander

Old 05-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Timothy Murphy

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> John R Pierce wrote:
>
>>> Except that I'd like to add a second ethernet port,
>>> and am not sure where one can find a card that will fit this machine.
>>> As far as I can see, it requires a half-height PCIe card,
>>> which seems to be rather a rare animal.
>>> (There doesn't seem to be a standard for the backplate.)
>>
>> "low profile" is the buzzword, and there's lots of them. for example...
>> http://www.intel.com/products/server/adapters/pro1000pt/pro1000pt-
> overview.htm
>
> Thanks for your response.
> But I don't think "low profile" is enough -
> the MicroServer needs half-height low profile,
> and I don't think from the pictures the ones you pointed to are
> half-height. (The backplate looks too high.)

Sorry, I see now that the Intel Pro PT you point to does say:
"Optional low-profile bracket included for high-density,
rack-mounted servers"

I'd been looking at the Pro CT, which may not have this.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Timothy Murphy

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> The add-on card article by HP is
>
> NC112T PCI-Express Gigabit-Serveradapter (503746-B21)
>
> connector: 1x RJ-45
> chipset: Intel i82574L
> specials: Wake on LAN, low profile

Thanks, I'll look for that.
I did see HP recommended a card, probably this one,
but again the picture seemed to show a full height backplate.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:55 PM
John R Pierce

On 05/08/11 6:53 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> (The machine is unbelievably cheap at the moment,
> due to a bizarre cashback offer from HP.)

where's this deal?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:43 PM
"Christopher J. Buckley"

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 14:53, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

Except that I'd like to add a second ethernet port,

and am not sure where one can find a card that will fit this machine.

As far as I can see, it requires a half-height PCIe card,

which seems to be rather a rare animal.

(There doesn't seem to be a standard for the backplate.)

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried this?

Incidentally, is there a forum anywhere

for users of the MicroServer under Linux?

I ordered one directly from HP. Was ~40.
--
Kind Regards,
Christopher J. Buckley