Old 05-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Ryan Wagoner

Default Configuring ipv6 reboot persistence, CentOS 5.6

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 4:28 PM, David Mehler <dave.mehler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running a CentOS 5.6 server through linode. I am atempting to
> configure it for ipv6, previously this had been done though not by me
> on a ubuntu box so the hardware can take it. I've got an ipv6 tunnel
> through Hurricane Electric and at a shell prompt have done the
> following:
>
> ifconfig sit0 up
> ifconfig sit0 inet6 tunnel ::IPV4 Address
> ifconfig sit1 up
> ifconfig sit1 inet6 add IPV6 Address
> route -A inet6 add ::/0 dev sit1
>
> Testing that with a ping6 works fine. I then want it to persist across
> reboots. So I added the following to /etc/sysconfig/network:
>
> * * * NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
> * * * IPV6_DEFAULTDEV=sit1
>
> and I made /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-sit1
>
> * * * DEVICE=sit1
> * * * BOOTPROTO=none
> * * * ONBOOT=yes
> * * * IPV6INIT=yes
> * * * IPV6TUNNELIPV4=IPV4 Address
> * * * IPV6ADDR=IPV6 Address
>
> Reboot the box, check sit1 and it has an ip address. Running that
> ping6 command says the network can't be reached. I have to take the
> interface down and rerun those above commands manually. I'd appreciate
> any suggestions.

Try adding TYPE=sit to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-sit1

Ryan

Old 05-07-2011, 09:14 PM
David Mehler

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that didn't fix it.

Dave

Old 05-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Stephen Harris

On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 04:28:45PM -0400, David Mehler wrote:
> Testing that with a ping6 works fine. I then want it to persist across
> reboots. So I added the following to /etc/sysconfig/network:
>
> NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
> IPV6_DEFAULTDEV=sit1

Looks good; I have the same.

> and I made /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-sit1
>
> DEVICE=sit1
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> IPV6INIT=yes
> IPV6TUNNELIPV4=IPV4 Address
> IPV6ADDR=IPV6 Address

I have
DEVICE=sit1
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6TUNNELIPV4=remote_ipv4_address
IPV6ADDR=my_ip6_address/netmask

> Reboot the box, check sit1 and it has an ip address. Running that
> ping6 command says the network can't be reached. I have to take the
> interface down and rerun those above commands manually. I'd appreciate
> any suggestions.

Is the IPv4 address in the config above the IP address of the HE endpoint
and _not_ your IP address? (In my case I have 72.52.104.74 for tserv3)

ifconfig sit1 should show something like
sit1 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
inet6 addr: your_ip6/metmask Scope:Global
inet6 addr: fe80::link_addr/64 Scope:Link
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:76421 (74.6 KiB) TX bytes:88155 (86.0 KiB)

Also check the output of
ip -6 route | grep -v 'dev lo'

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 05-07-2011, 10:49 PM
David Mehler

Hello,
Thank you for your response. The IPV4 endpoint address in ifcfg-sit1
is in fact the tunnel endpoint and not my system's address.

The output of ifconfig sit1 does in fact show the ipv6 addresses looks
correct to me.

The output of ip -6 route | grep -v 'dev lo' shows ipv6 traffic going
out sit1. I should probably mention I do not have any ipv6 firewall in
place.

Thanks.
Dave.