Old 05-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Gilbert Sebenste

Default Typing "startx" gives me a black scrren, have to reboot to get back to runlevel 3

Hello everyone,

I have been having a vexing problem for a year, and I cannot solve it.
Hopefully, someone has a tip to get me over the hump to fix this once and
for all.

When I type "startx" from root, I get:

(EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
(WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
(WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
(II) fglrx(0): FBADPhys: 0xf00000000 FBMappedSize: 0x10000000
(WW) fglrx(0): Failed to set up write-combining range
(0xd0000000,0x10000000)

I get a ton of stuff before this, but just info messages. Where should I
start looking to fix this problem? I use the Redhat experimental kernels
at http://epople.redhat.com/jwilson/el5/. Running CentOS 5.6,
fully patched as of this morning with the gdb/OO updates.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Phil Schaffner

Gilbert Sebenste wrote on 05/07/2011 11:57 AM:
> I get a ton of stuff before this, but just info messages. Where should I
> start looking to fix this problem? I use the Redhat experimental kernels
> at http://epople.redhat.com/jwilson/el5/. Running CentOS 5.6,
> fully patched as of this morning with the gdb/OO updates.

Not sure what the experimental kernels have to do with it, but you might
try a standard kernel.

See if this helps:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/ConfigureNewVideoCard

If still having problems then see FAQ #23 at
http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General

Phil

Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Gilbert Sebenste

On Sat, 7 May 2011, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> Gilbert Sebenste wrote on 05/07/2011 11:57 AM:
>> I get a ton of stuff before this, but just info messages. Where should I
>> start looking to fix this problem? I use the Redhat experimental kernels
>> at http://epople.redhat.com/jwilson/el5/. Running CentOS 5.6,
>> fully patched as of this morning with the gdb/OO updates.
>
> Not sure what the experimental kernels have to do with it, but you might
> try a standard kernel.
>
> See if this helps:
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/ConfigureNewVideoCard
>
> If still having problems then see FAQ #23 at
> http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General

I'll do that tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks, Phil!
I much appreciate the Wiki pointer, that's my first step.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Gilbert Sebenste

On Sat, 7 May 2011, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> See if this helps:
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/ConfigureNewVideoCard

System-config-display --reconfig fixed up a seriously
messed up configuration. It works! Thanks to all who
gave me feedback, this did the trick.