Old 05-07-2011, 03:22 PM
"David"

Default No sound on HP 8540w, guidance requested

Dear Experts

I have been unsuccessful getting the sound to work on a HP Mobile
Workstation HP 8540w.

Here's a brief rundown of where I am

I did a clean new install of Centos 5.6 from DVD, using the Gnome
Desktop option and no optional modules.
I enabled the firewall, but disabled SELINUX.

I installed three files from elrepo to make the wireless adaptor
work, and specified the video adaptor using the Gnome -> System ->
Preferences -> Display panel.

I ran "yum update" until all updates were completed, rebooted system
because the Kernel changed.

The system now works -- all of the following appear to function properly:
- USB connections
- wireless
- ethernet
- pointer-stick for the mouse
- the display at its "natural" resolution (1920x1200)
- An occassional beep does occur, proving that the PC speaker is connected.

However, I when I play any sound or movie file, I get no sound. I
know that the PC speaker produces low quality sound, but there should
be something.

I have experimented with the "Sound" setup, but none of the options
seem to produce good results.

Is there some special driver or option I need?

Any assistance or direction would be appreciated.

David

Old 05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Robert Heller

> Dear Experts
>
> I have been unsuccessful getting the sound to work on a HP Mobile
> Workstation HP 8540w.
>
> Here's a brief rundown of where I am
>
> I did a clean new install of Centos 5.6 from DVD, using the Gnome
> Desktop option and no optional modules.
> I enabled the firewall, but disabled SELINUX.
>
> I installed three files from elrepo to make the wireless adaptor
> work, and specified the video adaptor using the Gnome -> System ->
> Preferences -> Display panel.
>
> I ran "yum update" until all updates were completed, rebooted system
> because the Kernel changed.
>

> The system now works -- all of the following appear to function properly:
> - USB connections
> - wireless
> - ethernet
> - pointer-stick for the mouse
> - the display at its "natural" resolution (1920x1200)
> - An occassional beep does occur, proving that the PC speaker is connected.
>
> However, I when I play any sound or movie file, I get no sound. I
> know that the PC speaker produces low quality sound, but there should
> be something.
>
> I have experimented with the "Sound" setup, but none of the options
> seem to produce good results.
>
> Is there some special driver or option I need?

Probably.

Do a 'lspci | grep -i audio' in a terminal window and post the results
here. This will list what sort of sound chipset your system has.

You may need to download and install a driver, probably from the Elrepo
repositority, much like you did for the wireless.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Robert Heller

At Sat, 7 May 2011 11:41:25 -0400 Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:

> > Dear Experts
> >
> > I have been unsuccessful getting the sound to work on a HP Mobile
> > Workstation HP 8540w.
> >
> > Here's a brief rundown of where I am
> >
> > I did a clean new install of Centos 5.6 from DVD, using the Gnome
> > Desktop option and no optional modules.
> > I enabled the firewall, but disabled SELINUX.
> >
> > I installed three files from elrepo to make the wireless adaptor
> > work, and specified the video adaptor using the Gnome -> System ->
> > Preferences -> Display panel.
> >
> > I ran "yum update" until all updates were completed, rebooted system
> > because the Kernel changed.
> >

> > The system now works -- all of the following appear to function properly:
> > - USB connections
> > - wireless
> > - ethernet
> > - pointer-stick for the mouse
> > - the display at its "natural" resolution (1920x1200)
> > - An occassional beep does occur, proving that the PC speaker is connected.
> >
> > However, I when I play any sound or movie file, I get no sound. I
> > know that the PC speaker produces low quality sound, but there should
> > be something.
> >
> > I have experimented with the "Sound" setup, but none of the options
> > seem to produce good results.
> >
> > Is there some special driver or option I need?
>
> Probably.
>
> Do a 'lspci | grep -i audio' in a terminal window and post the results
> here. This will list what sort of sound chipset your system has.
>
> You may need to download and install a driver, probably from the Elrepo
> repositority, much like you did for the wireless.

Also, it is possible that the sound card/chip is NOT connected to the PC
speaker. Most (all?) laptops / notbooks / netbooks / tablets do include
speaker(s) connected to the sound card/chip. Most (all?) *desktops* do
not -- they require *external* speakers ("sold separately") to be
connected.

Since this calls itself a "Mobile Workstation", I am not sure how things
are connected. Is "Mobile Workstation" 'fancy' terminology for "laptop"
or is it something else? Is this a 'lugable' machine (eg a desktop with
a carrying handle and built-in monitor)?

Old 05-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Ned Slider

On 07/05/11 16:22, David wrote:
> Dear Experts
>
> I have been unsuccessful getting the sound to work on a HP Mobile
> Workstation HP 8540w.
>
> Here's a brief rundown of where I am
>
> I did a clean new install of Centos 5.6 from DVD, using the Gnome
> Desktop option and no optional modules.
> I enabled the firewall, but disabled SELINUX.
>
> I installed three files from elrepo to make the wireless adaptor
> work, and specified the video adaptor using the Gnome -> System ->
> Preferences -> Display panel.

Hi David,

If you're already familiar with elrepo then I'd suggest you try their
updated alsa sound drivers.

yum --enanlerepo=elrepo install kmod-alsa

and reboot.

Also, don't forget to check your sound device isn't muted. The ALSA docs
state:

Note: All mixer channels are muted by default. You must use a native
or OSS mixer program to unmute appropriate channels (for example a
mixer from the alsa-utils package).

Old 05-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Ned Slider

On 07/05/11 17:28, Ned Slider wrote:

fixing my own typo

> yum --enanlerepo=elrepo install kmod-alsa

yum --enablerepo=elrepo install kmod-alsa

Old 05-07-2011, 07:32 PM
"David"

At 09:28 AM 5/7/2011, you wrote:
>On 07/05/11 16:22, David wrote:
> > Dear Experts
> >
> > I have been unsuccessful getting the sound to work on a HP Mobile
> > Workstation HP 8540w.
> >
> > Here's a brief rundown of where I am
> >
> > I did a clean new install of Centos 5.6 from DVD, using the Gnome
> > Desktop option and no optional modules.
> > I enabled the firewall, but disabled SELINUX.
> >
> > I installed three files from elrepo to make the wireless adaptor
> > work, and specified the video adaptor using the Gnome -> System ->
> > Preferences -> Display panel.
> >

>Hi David,
>
>If you're already familiar with elrepo then I'd suggest you try their
>updated alsa sound drivers.
>
>yum --enanlerepo=elrepo install kmod-alsa
>
>and reboot.
>
>Also, don't forget to check your sound device isn't muted. The ALSA docs
>state:
>
>Note: All mixer channels are muted by default. You must use a native
> or OSS mixer program to unmute appropriate channels (for example a
> mixer from the alsa-utils package).

I got two recommendations:
a) Used 'alsamixer' to unmute all channels. The were, as a responder
suggested, muted.
b) Installed kmod-alsa from elrepo. It produced a bunch of warnings
which I ignored.
c) I performed lspci | grep -i audio, and got

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
High Definition Audio (rev 06)
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio
Controller (rev a1)
got

No sound, and the mute button on the function display does nothing --
it's a constant orange color.
I am not sure where to go from here.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Robert Heller

> At 09:28 AM 5/7/2011, you wrote:
> >On 07/05/11 16:22, David wrote:
> > > Dear Experts
> > >
> > > I have been unsuccessful getting the sound to work on a HP Mobile
> > > Workstation HP 8540w.
> > >
> > > Here's a brief rundown of where I am
> > >
> > > I did a clean new install of Centos 5.6 from DVD, using the Gnome
> > > Desktop option and no optional modules.
> > > I enabled the firewall, but disabled SELINUX.
> > >
> > > I installed three files from elrepo to make the wireless adaptor
> > > work, and specified the video adaptor using the Gnome -> System ->
> > > Preferences -> Display panel.
> > >

> >Hi David,
> >
> >If you're already familiar with elrepo then I'd suggest you try their
> >updated alsa sound drivers.
> >
> >yum --enanlerepo=elrepo install kmod-alsa
> >
> >and reboot.
> >
> >Also, don't forget to check your sound device isn't muted. The ALSA docs
> >state:
> >
> >Note: All mixer channels are muted by default. You must use a native
> > or OSS mixer program to unmute appropriate channels (for example a
> > mixer from the alsa-utils package).
>

> I got two recommendations:
> a) Used 'alsamixer' to unmute all channels. The were, as a responder
> suggested, muted.
> b) Installed kmod-alsa from elrepo. It produced a bunch of warnings
> which I ignored.
> c) I performed lspci | grep -i audio, and got
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
> High Definition Audio (rev 06)
> 01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio
> Controller (rev a1)
> got

OK, this looks like the same audio chipset I have in my desktop machine
-- the *stock* snd-hda-intel driver should work. Also there seems to be
*two* audio chipsets (do you have a PCI sound card *in addition* to the
motherboard's audio chipset? If so, then it is possible that your movie
player to talking to the soundchip that is not connected to any speakers!

It is also worth noting: many laptops have a set of volume and/or mute
buttons, either separate from the keyboard proper (my ThinkPad X31 does
-- labeled with a speaker with a down arrowhead, an up arrowhead, and a
speaker with a slash through it) or layered as 'Function' (Fn) keys on
the F* keys (activated by the special Fn key). It is possible that you
need to push one of these to enable / unmute / turn up the volume...

Old 05-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Ned Slider

On 07/05/11 20:32, David wrote:

> I got two recommendations:
> a) Used 'alsamixer' to unmute all channels. The were, as a responder
> suggested, muted.
> b) Installed kmod-alsa from elrepo. It produced a bunch of warnings
> which I ignored.
> c) I performed lspci | grep -i audio, and got
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
> High Definition Audio (rev 06)
> 01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio
> Controller (rev a1)

Hmm, any idea why you have 2 audio controllers?

> I am not sure where to go from here.

Next you need to identify the Vendorevice ID pairing for your
device(s) above and then search for a driver that supports them.

If I show you by example, on MY hardware, perhaps you can follow along
for yours...

You already did:

# lspci | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 02)

so now take the PCI ID (first part above) and query it for the
Vendorevice ID pairing:

# lspci -n | grep '00:1b.0'
00:1b.0 0403: 8086:293e (rev 02)

and take the Vendorevice ID pairing (8086:293e in my example) and
search for a matching driver supporting that device:

# grep -i 8086 /lib/modules/*/modules.alias | grep -i 293e
/lib/modules/2.6.18-128.el5/modules.alias:alias
pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel
/lib/modules/2.6.18-164.el5/modules.alias:alias
pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel
/lib/modules/2.6.18-194.el5/modules.alias:alias
pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel
/lib/modules/2.6.18-238.9.1.el5/modules.alias:alias
pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel
/lib/modules/2.6.18-238.el5/modules.alias:alias
pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel
/lib/modules/2.6.18-53.el5/modules.alias:alias
pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel
/lib/modules/2.6.18-92.el5/modules.alias:alias
pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel

which shows me the snd-hda-intel driver present in kernel-2.6.18-53.el5
onwards supports my hardware.

Now do the same for your hardware and show us the results.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:51 PM
John R Pierce

On 05/07/11 1:35 PM, Ned Slider wrote:
>> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
>> > High Definition Audio (rev 06)
>> > 01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio
>> > Controller (rev a1)
> Hmm, any idea why you have 2 audio controllers?

wild guess says, one is the mainboard chipset audio controller, and the
other is HDMI audio on the video card.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:31 PM
"David"

At 01:35 PM 5/7/2011, you wrote:
>On 07/05/11 20:32, David wrote:
> >
> > I got two recommendations:
> > a) Used 'alsamixer' to unmute all channels. The were, as a responder
> > suggested, muted.
> > b) Installed kmod-alsa from elrepo. It produced a bunch of warnings
> > which I ignored.
> > c) I performed lspci | grep -i audio, and got
> >
> > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
> > High Definition Audio (rev 06)
> > 01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio
> > Controller (rev a1)
>
># lspci -n | grep '00:1b.0'
>00:1b.0 0403: 8086:293e (rev 02)
>
>and take the Vendorevice ID pairing (8086:293e in my example) and
>search for a matching driver supporting that device:
>

># grep -i 8086 /lib/modules/*/modules.alias | grep -i 293e
>/lib/modules/2.6.18-128.el5/modules.alias:alias
>pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel
>/lib/modules/2.6.18-164.el5/modules.alias:alias
>pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel
>/lib/modules/2.6.18-194.el5/modules.alias:alias
>pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel
>/lib/modules/2.6.18-238.9.1.el5/modules.alias:alias
>pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel
>/lib/modules/2.6.18-238.el5/modules.alias:alias
>pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel
>/lib/modules/2.6.18-53.el5/modules.alias:alias
>pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel
>/lib/modules/2.6.18-92.el5/modules.alias:alias
>pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i* snd-hda-intel
>
>which shows me the snd-hda-intel driver present in kernel-2.6.18-53.el5
>onwards supports my hardware.
>
>Now do the same for your hardware and show us the results.

I performed the tests as you indicated.
Here's what I got...

#lspci -n | grep -i '00:1b,0'
00:1b:0 0403: 8086:3b56 (rev06)
#grep '8086' /lib/modules/*/modules.alias | grep -i '3b56'

No output from the above

The test on the other device
#lspci -n | grep -i '01:00.1'
01:00.1 0403: 10de:0be2 (rev a1)
#grep '10de' /lib/modules/*/modules.alias | grep -i '0be2'

No output from the above.

(not lookin' good?)

David