Old 05-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Benjamin Smith

Default EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

On Friday, May 06, 2011 11:44:40 AM Johnny Hughes wrote:

> But the real question is, do you want to use EL6.**I personally would

> only roll out testing stuff on EL 6 at this point (be it SL 6.0, Oracle

> UBL 6.0, RHEL 6.0, etc.).**CentOS 5 still has 3 years of normal support

> before its retirement date, and is much more mature at this point (IMHO).

Yes, I'm pretty sure I want to switch to EL 6. Way back when, I was fairly aggressive switching to EL 4, and have enjoyed a very long, stable period as a result. I don't really want to switch frequently, I'd rather "shake it all out in one fell swoop" and then not worry about it again for as long as possible.

At this point, I'm likely to begin testing with SL 6, and then switch to CentOS (if it's available in time) prior to actual rollout in a few month's time.

I recognize (and appreciate!) CentOS' dedication to quality before punctuality, even if it is inconvenient at times.

-Ben

dangerous content by
MailScanner, and is

believed to be clean.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:18 PM
"Christopher J. Buckley"

I'm a long-time Centos user, and am basically happy with CentOS. I understand there are delays getting EL 6 out. We have been long anxious to roll out EL 6 as soon as it's ready, but our time window for rollout is looming and we will need to act. (for business reasons, we need to rollout over summer, before Aug 1, we need to start regression testing now!)

So buy RHEL.

--
Kind Regards,
Christopher J. Buckley

Old 05-06-2011, 07:38 PM
"Nicolas Ross"

> I'm a long-time Centos user, and am basically happy with CentOS. I
> understand there are delays getting EL 6 out. We have been long anxious to
> roll out EL 6 as soon as it's ready, but our time window for rollout is
> looming and we will need to act. (for business reasons, we need to rollout
> over summer, before Aug 1, we need to start regression testing now!)

Hi !

Here, we have a cluster of 8 nodes that we just deployed in RHEL 6 (the real
thing, 14 k$/year). And with that, came other servers (router, test servers,
developpement servers), and I wanted to have also the same OS. While waiting
for C6, I installed an unsubscribed version of RHEL6, but it was troublesome
to install packeges. So for those servers that were already installed, I
switched them to SL6 without having to re-install, and it went great without
a pain. I installed some other servers with SL6, and didn't noticed any
difference.

I plan to switch those SL6 servers back to C6 when it's out, for uniformity
reasons, I don't anticipate any problems then.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Les Mikesell

On 5/6/2011 1:44 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> But the real question is, do you want to use EL6. I personally would
> only roll out testing stuff on EL 6 at this point (be it SL 6.0, Oracle
> UBL 6.0, RHEL 6.0, etc.). CentOS 5 still has 3 years of normal support
> before its retirement date, and is much more mature at this point (IMHO).

In this business, mature is a synonym for ancient. But the bigger issue
is that 3 years out may not cover the lifespan of a newly deployed
server that you'd really like to keep running with nothing more
complicated than 'yum update'.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Blake Hudson

> for C6, I installed an unsubscribed version of RHEL6, but it was troublesome
> to install packeges. So for those servers that were already installed, I
> switched them to SL6 without having to re-install, and it went great without
> a pain.

Did you perform a yum reinstall * or did you just update your repos?

--Blake

Old 05-07-2011, 02:01 AM
"Nicolas Ross"

>> While waiting
>> for C6, I installed an unsubscribed version of RHEL6, but it was
>> troublesome
>> to install packeges. So for those servers that were already installed, I
>> switched them to SL6 without having to re-install, and it went great
>> without
>> a pain.
>
> Did you perform a yum reinstall * or did you just update your repos?

I juste updated the repo and uninstalled some redhat packages :

rpm -e rhnlib rhn-client-tools rhn-setup yum-rhn-plugin rhn-check rhnsd
redhat-indexhtml redhat-lsb

rpm -e --nodeps redhat-release-server-6Server
rpm -hiv sl-release-6.0-6.0.1.x86_64.rpm

rpm -e --nodeps redhat-logos
rpm -hiv redhat-logos-60.0.14-1.sl6.1.noarch.rpm

I did a test for yum reinstall *, and saw that 565 out of the 623 packages
were to be re-installed, so I didn't want to get into problems with a remote
server, I left it that way. I will do a reinstall on a server I got at the
office, and I'll report back.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Chuck Munro

On 05/07/2011 09:00 AM, Benjamin Smith wrote:

> I was wondering what feedback might be offered by the CentOS community on their
> experiences using Scientific Linux?
>
> I'm a long-time Centos user, and am basically happy with CentOS. I understand
> there are delays getting EL 6 out. We have been long anxious to roll out EL 6
> as soon as it's ready, but our time window for rollout is looming and we will
> need to act. (for business reasons, we need to rollout over summer, before Aug
> 1, we need to start regression testing now!)
>
> I was once a WhiteBox Enterprise Linux user and switched to CentOS 4 without
> issue, and am assuming that I might need to do something similar if we decide
> to go this route.
>
> Any feedback is appreciated!

I had to complete a new VM Host machine before CentOS-6 was ready, so I
used SL-6 as the underpinnings. It simply worked, once I ironed out a
couple of unrelated hardware issues. It auto-updates and lets me know
when that's been done, but it doesn't reboot unless I want to, so
there's little risk in allowing the updates. Auto-update can be
disabled if you prefer.

So far it has been flawless. It's managing two very large software
RAID-6 arrays and 7 Guest VMs on a dual-Xeon Supermicro motherboard.

All of the VM Guest OS's are CentOS-5.6 which works well for my
applications. I may or may not upgrade the Guests to C6, depending on
need. CentOS has been so reliable that I'm reluctant to move to a
different platform. I've used Ubuntu Server and it works well, but I'm
more familiar with the RHEL way of doing things so I'll stick with CentOS.

One thing I don't know much about is an in-place upgrade of C5 to C6.
There are some under-the-hood differences that must be taken into
account, which I haven't looked into.

YMMV,
Chuck

Old 05-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Chuck Munro wrote:

> On 05/07/2011 09:00 AM, Benjamin Smith wrote:
>> I was wondering what feedback might be offered by the CentOS community on their
>> experiences using Scientific Linux?
>>
>> I'm a long-time Centos user, and am basically happy with CentOS. I understand
>> there are delays getting EL 6 out. We have been long anxious to roll out EL 6
>> as soon as it's ready, but our time window for rollout is looming and we will
>> need to act. (for business reasons, we need to rollout over summer, before Aug
>> 1, we need to start regression testing now!)
>>
>> I was once a WhiteBox Enterprise Linux user and switched to CentOS 4 without
>> issue, and am assuming that I might need to do something similar if we decide
>> to go this route.
>>
>> Any feedback is appreciated!
>
> I had to complete a new VM Host machine before CentOS-6 was ready, so I
> used SL-6 as the underpinnings. It simply worked, once I ironed out a
> couple of unrelated hardware issues. It auto-updates and lets me know
> when that's been done, but it doesn't reboot unless I want to, so
> there's little risk in allowing the updates. Auto-update can be
> disabled if you prefer.
>
> So far it has been flawless. It's managing two very large software
> RAID-6 arrays and 7 Guest VMs on a dual-Xeon Supermicro motherboard.
>
> All of the VM Guest OS's are CentOS-5.6 which works well for my
> applications. I may or may not upgrade the Guests to C6, depending on
> need. CentOS has been so reliable that I'm reluctant to move to a
> different platform. I've used Ubuntu Server and it works well, but I'm
> more familiar with the RHEL way of doing things so I'll stick with CentOS.
>
> One thing I don't know much about is an in-place upgrade of C5 to C6.
> There are some under-the-hood differences that must be taken into
> account, which I haven't looked into.
>
> YMMV,
> Chuck

in-place upgrade of C5 to C6 will be most likely impossible. To many
changes of how thing work.

Ljubomir

Old 05-08-2011, 01:59 PM
R P Herrold

On Sat, 7 May 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> in-place upgrade of C5 to C6 will be most likely impossible. To many
> changes of how thing work.

In local testing built from the anaconda and related sources
that will become CentOS 6, the offer to upgrade an existing
install is made during a media based install. As I was not
interested in upgrading a random drive pulled from my 'scratch
pool', I did a wipe and fresh partition and install

Particularly difficult to me seems to be the 'ext4' conversion
from lower numbered versions with an 'in place' upgrade

-- Russ herrold

Old 05-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Benjamin Smith

On Saturday, May 07, 2011 11:52:21 AM Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> in-place upgrade of C5 to C6 will be most likely impossible. To many*

> changes of how thing work.

Thankfully, the only in-place upgrades I'll really consider is to cross-grade SL6 to C6. I've started testing with SL6 and will happily report to everyone how the cross-grade goes as soon as C6 is out!

-Ben

dangerous content by
MailScanner, and is

believed to be clean.