Old 05-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Benjamin Smith

Default EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

I was wondering what feedback might be offered by the CentOS community on their experiences using Scientific Linux?

I'm a long-time Centos user, and am basically happy with CentOS. I understand there are delays getting EL 6 out. We have been long anxious to roll out EL 6 as soon as it's ready, but our time window for rollout is looming and we will need to act. (for business reasons, we need to rollout over summer, before Aug 1, we need to start regression testing now!)

I was once a WhiteBox Enterprise Linux user and switched to CentOS 4 without issue, and am assuming that I might need to do something similar if we decide to go this route.

Any feedback is appreciated!

dangerous content by
MailScanner, and is

believed to be clean.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:43 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> I was wondering what feedback might be offered by the CentOS
> community on their experiences using Scientific Linux?

Fresh install of 6.0 without a hitch a while ago.

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.

//me

Old 05-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 05/06/2011 01:31 PM, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> I was wondering what feedback might be offered by the CentOS community
> on their experiences using Scientific Linux?
>

> I'm a long-time Centos user, and am basically happy with CentOS. I
> understand there are delays getting EL 6 out. We have been long anxious
> to roll out EL 6 as soon as it's ready, but our time window for rollout
> is looming and we will need to act. (for business reasons, we need to
> rollout over summer, before Aug 1, we need to start regression testing
> now!)
>

> I was once a WhiteBox Enterprise Linux user and switched to CentOS 4
> without issue, and am assuming that I might need to do something similar
> if we decide to go this route.
>

> Any feedback is appreciated!

We are getting fairly close to having a tree ready to send to QA. The
goal for sending the tree is 10 May 2011. It might not happen before
then, but it should happen within a week of that date.

Disclaimer: We may have something that fails to work and throws a
monkey wrench in the plans ... but it is getting close.

I would expect once it is in QA that we can release in 2-4 weeks
(maximum) from that point.

But the real question is, do you want to use EL6. I personally would
only roll out testing stuff on EL 6 at this point (be it SL 6.0, Oracle
UBL 6.0, RHEL 6.0, etc.). CentOS 5 still has 3 years of normal support
before its retirement date, and is much more mature at this point (IMHO).