-   -   USB->Parallel cable compatibility (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/522804-usb-parallel-cable-compatibility.html)

Bill Campbell 05-05-2011 11:18 PM

USB->Parallel cable compatibility

I have an installation where we're replacing a rather old Linux
box with a new one that has no parallel ports. The old box has
two parallel ports going to Okidata printers.

The IOGEAR GUC1284B USB to Parallel Adapter cable looks like it
might be a simple solution to this, but I would like to know that
it works before getting a couple.

Comments?

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

the incurable idiots may conceivably constitute an absolute
majority of the population. -- H.L. Mencken

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 05-05-2011 11:39 PM

Bill Campbell wrote:
> I have an installation where we're replacing a rather old Linux
> box with a new one that has no parallel ports. The old box has
> two parallel ports going to Okidata printers.
>
> The IOGEAR GUC1284B USB to Parallel Adapter cable looks like it
> might be a simple solution to this, but I would like to know that
> it works before getting a couple.
>
> Comments?
>
> Bill

I would generally recomend agains USB to Paralell CABLEs. Better find
nice Parallel PCI/PCIe card and enjoy.

Ljubomir

Steve Clark 05-06-2011 11:26 AM

USB->Parallel cable compatibility

I have an installation where we're replacing a rather old Linux
box with a new one that has no parallel ports. The old box has
two parallel ports going to Okidata printers.

The IOGEAR GUC1284B USB to Parallel Adapter cable looks like it
might be a simple solution to this, but I would like to know that
it works before getting a couple.

Comments?

Bill

I have been using a usb-to-parallel adapter
connected to an old Canon LBP-860 for several

years now. lsusb list it as:

WinChipHead CH34x printer adapter cable

I pretty sure I bought it from NewEgg.

--

Stephen*Clark

NetWolves

Sr.*Software*Engineer*III

Phone:*813-579-3200

Fax:*813-882-0209

Email:*steve.clark@netwolves.com

http://www.netwolves.com

Stephen Harris 05-06-2011 01:53 PM

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 07:26:43AM -0400, Steve Clark wrote:
> >I have an installation where we're replacing a rather old Linux
> >box with a new one that has no parallel ports. The old box has
> >two parallel ports going to Okidata printers.

> I have been using a usb-to-parallel adapter connected to an old Canon
> LBP-860 for several
> years now. lsusb list it as:
> WinChipHead CH34x printer adapter cable

In Jan 2010 I bought a generic parallel USB adapter from ebay for $3.29
(inc shipping) and used it on CentOS 5 with my old old laser printer.

It just worked.

lsusb identified it as
ID 067b:2305 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2305 Parallel Port

Hmm, ebay description was "USB TO PARALLEL PRINTER ADAPTER 1284 CABLE 36
PIN IEEE".

Yeah, this looks like the same model

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-PARALLEL-PRINTER-ADAPTER-1284-CABLE-36-PIN-IEEE-/130517298222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e636f ec2e

--