Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Marko Vojinovic

Default Audio/video recording software

Hi everyone! :-)

I am supposed to get (for the first time) into the world of making youtube
clips. I have a webcam, a microphone and a big hard drive configured and ready.
The question is: what would you suggest as an easy-to-use yum-installable app
that could handle a couple of minutes/hours of recording?

People who are about to use it are complete noobs, and I would like to give
them a user interface of type "start the program, press record, talk for a
while, press stop, press save, quit the program". That is, if something like
that exists for CentOS (version 5.6, if it matters).

I don't mind proprietary/patented/nonfree A/V formats, codecs and stuff.
Anything goes, of a typical amateur youtube quality. I just need something
that generates video clips in the simplest way possible.

Any recommendations?

TIA, :-)
Marko

Old 05-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Robert Heller

> Hi everyone! :-)
>
> I am supposed to get (for the first time) into the world of making youtube
> clips. I have a webcam, a microphone and a big hard drive configured and ready.
> The question is: what would you suggest as an easy-to-use yum-installable app
> that could handle a couple of minutes/hours of recording?
>
> People who are about to use it are complete noobs, and I would like to give
> them a user interface of type "start the program, press record, talk for a
> while, press stop, press save, quit the program". That is, if something like
> that exists for CentOS (version 5.6, if it matters).

I wonder if Kino would do this. Kino is availalble from the rpmforge
repo and installs cleanly via yum under CentOS 5.x.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone! :-)
>
> I am supposed to get (for the first time) into the world of making youtube
> clips. I have a webcam, a microphone and a big hard drive configured and ready.
> The question is: what would you suggest as an easy-to-use yum-installable app
> that could handle a couple of minutes/hours of recording?
>
> People who are about to use it are complete noobs, and I would like to give
> them a user interface of type "start the program, press record, talk for a
> while, press stop, press save, quit the program". That is, if something like
> that exists for CentOS (version 5.6, if it matters).
>
> I don't mind proprietary/patented/nonfree A/V formats, codecs and stuff.
> Anything goes, of a typical amateur youtube quality. I just need something
> that generates video clips in the simplest way possible.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> TIA, :-)
> Marko

Cinelerra seems to be more professional but hard to master. can try that

Rajagopal

Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Eduardo Grosclaude

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 09:14, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone! :-)
>
> The question is: what would you suggest as an easy-to-use yum-installable app
> that could handle a couple of minutes/hours of recording?
>
> People who are about to use it are complete noobs, and I would like to give
> them a user interface of type "start the program, press record, talk for a
> while, press stop, press save, quit the program". That is, if something like
> that exists for CentOS (version 5.6, if it matters).

If your clips are the computer lesson or software demo style,
"recordmydesktop" is as noob-proof as you can get. Regarding how to
shoot talking heads, I'd envision recording a webcam window, probably
contrived but feasible. Mixing other recorded material in would be
possible too.

--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue