Old 05-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Les Mikesell

Default Boot speed

On 5/3/11 8:17 AM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
> centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:

>>> The Linux kernel is also used in laptops/desktops
>>
>> Fast boots also matter for embedded systems.
>
> +1
>
> So does booting on small, non-PAE hardware.
> RH wants to drop the embedded world, but the centosplus kernel may yet
> "save us" from ignominy.

So you save a second in boot time, then waste half an hour trying to figure out
which wire goes to which network interface... Doesn't sound like a win to me
unless you only have one NIC.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> On 5/3/11 8:17 AM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
>> centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:

>>> Fast boots also matter for embedded systems.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> So does booting on small, non-PAE hardware.
>> RH wants to drop the embedded world, but the centosplus kernel may
>> yet "save us" from ignominy.
>
> So you save a second in boot time, then waste half an hour trying to
> figure out which wire goes to which network interface... Doesn't
> sound like a win to me unless you only have one NIC.

I got one nic on one single-core non-PAE i586 CPU (GEODE LX800) that
roars at 800MHz with 1/4GB ram. I got 1 hard drive with DMA, the
other "drive" is a CF socket accessed by PIO.

Look up the ETX boards, and consider those with 4 amps max total
current.
They're used all over the world for process control and
special-situation comms systems.

It's headless, access is by ssh; it *must* go from power-on to full
operation in 90 seconds, it *should* get there in 30. That includes BIOS
startup. Once installed, it does NOT change hardware configuration
exception hard-drive-swap for application version upgrade every 2-3
years.

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.

//me

Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Steve Clark

On 5/2/2011 10:25 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

Trying to save a few seconds when rebooting a server seems
pointlessto me

The Linux kernel is also used in laptops/desktops

Fast boots also matter for embedded systems.

+1

So does booting on small, non-PAE hardware.
RH wants to drop the embedded world, but the centosplus kernel may yet
"save us" from ignominy.

So you save a second in boot time, then waste half an hour trying to figure out
which wire goes to which network interface... Doesn't sound like a win to me
unless you only have one NIC.

But udev keeps these straight across reboots - at least for me.

--

Stephen*Clark

NetWolves

Sr.*Software*Engineer*III

Phone:*813-579-3200

Fax:*813-882-0209

Email:*steve.clark@netwolves.com

http://www.netwolves.com

Old 05-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Les Mikesell

On 5/3/2011 8:49 AM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:

>> So you save a second in boot time, then waste half an hour trying to
>> figure out which wire goes to which network interface... Doesn't
>> sound like a win to me unless you only have one NIC.
>
> I got one nic on one single-core non-PAE i586 CPU (GEODE LX800) that
> roars at 800MHz with 1/4GB ram. I got 1 hard drive with DMA, the
> other "drive" is a CF socket accessed by PIO.
>
> Look up the ETX boards, and consider those with 4 amps max total
> current.
> They're used all over the world for process control and
> special-situation comms systems.
>
> It's headless, access is by ssh; it *must* go from power-on to full
> operation in 90 seconds, it *should* get there in 30. That includes BIOS
> startup. Once installed, it does NOT change hardware configuration
> exception hard-drive-swap for application version upgrade every 2-3
> years.

If you've got one nic, it'a a pretty sure bet that any detection order
is going to call it eth0. Add a few more and I think you'll change your
opinion, especially with that headless situation where all you can do is
move wires until ssh works. That's extra fun when you on the phone and
paying by the hour for remote support.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Les Mikesell

On 5/3/2011 9:01 AM, Steve Clark wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> So does booting on small, non-PAE hardware.
>>> RH wants to drop the embedded world, but the centosplus kernel may yet
>>> "save us" from ignominy.
>> So you save a second in boot time, then waste half an hour trying to figure out
>> which wire goes to which network interface... Doesn't sound like a win to me
>> unless you only have one NIC.
>>
> But udev keeps these straight across reboots - at least for me.

Once the hardware address matches in the ifcfg-eth? file, it pins the
name to the device, but move a disk to a new chassis or swap a network
card and you are fried again.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-03-2011, 02:42 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 5/3/2011 8:49 AM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
>>
>>> So you save a second in boot time, then waste half an hour trying to
>>> figure out which wire goes to which network interface... Doesn't
>>> sound like a win to me unless you only have one NIC.
>>
>> I got one nic on one single-core non-PAE i586 CPU (GEODE LX800) that
>> roars at 800MHz with 1/4GB ram. I got 1 hard drive with DMA, the
>> other "drive" is a CF socket accessed by PIO.
>>
>> Look up the ETX boards, and consider those with 4 amps max total
>> current. They're used all over the world for process control and
>> special-situation comms systems.
>>
>> It's headless, access is by ssh; it *must* go from power-on to full
>> operation in 90 seconds, it *should* get there in 30. That includes BIOS
>> startup. Once installed, it does NOT change hardware configuration
>> exception hard-drive-swap for application version upgrade every 2-3
>> years.
>
> If you've got one nic, it'a a pretty sure bet that any detection order
> is going to call it eth0. Add a few more and I think you'll change your
> opinion, especially with that headless situation where all you can do is
> move wires until ssh works. That's extra fun when you on the phone and
> paying by the hour for remote support.

*shrug* I don't have a lot of systems with more than one NIC, but I can
always do ethtool eth<whatever> till I see a link detected - that's a
matter of a minute or two, unless you've got a *lot* of ports.

mark

Old 05-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Les Mikesell

On 5/3/2011 9:42 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

>> If you've got one nic, it'a a pretty sure bet that any detection order
>> is going to call it eth0. Add a few more and I think you'll change your
>> opinion, especially with that headless situation where all you can do is
>> move wires until ssh works. That's extra fun when you on the phone and
>> paying by the hour for remote support.
>
> *shrug* I don't have a lot of systems with more than one NIC, but I can
> always do ethtool eth<whatever> till I see a link detected - that's a
> matter of a minute or two, unless you've got a *lot* of ports.

We typically have at least 2 active, some with 4 or 5, and the machines
mostly come with broadcomm NICs on the motherboard which we ignore and
add Intel server cards. So there are always 4 to 8 possibilities and 2
to 5 connected wires with link up and the intel cards have an
approximately random chance of starting at eth0 or eth2. We have
machines at several locations and like to ship preconfigured disks to
meet them, but it doesn't work very well. If we only used one OS I
suppose it would be worth building some specialized infrastructure to
support it's quirks, but it would be nicer if it just did something
predictable. At least most of them go to our larger data centers where
we have our own operators present to configure the addresses. These
machines generally aren't rebooted for many months at a time and are in
load balanced groups so it doesn't matter how long it takes.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 5/3/2011 9:42 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>> If you've got one nic, it'a a pretty sure bet that any detection order
>>> is going to call it eth0. Add a few more and I think you'll change
>>> your
>>> opinion, especially with that headless situation where all you can do
>>> is
>>> move wires until ssh works. That's extra fun when you on the phone and
>>> paying by the hour for remote support.
>>
>> *shrug* I don't have a lot of systems with more than one NIC, but I can
>> always do ethtool eth<whatever> till I see a link detected - that's a
>> matter of a minute or two, unless you've got a *lot* of ports.
>
> We typically have at least 2 active, some with 4 or 5, and the machines
> mostly come with broadcomm NICs on the motherboard which we ignore and
> add Intel server cards. So there are always 4 to 8 possibilities and 2
> to 5 connected wires with link up and the intel cards have an
<snip>
Sorry, I sit corrected: most of our servers do have two NICs, but we only
use one, except for clustered systems.

mark