-   -   list of supported hardware (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/521445-list-supported-hardware.html)

Michael Schumacher 05-03-2011 09:16 AM

list of supported hardware

Hello CentOS list,

I have been looking for a list of hardware that is supported by the
Centos kernel and its modules. I couldn't find anything in the
documentation at Centos nor at RH. Google didn't bring up anything
either. Is there any list or will I need to browse the source code
directories?

Just for clarification, I am not looking for "certified" hardware. I
just want to see if a certain piece of hardware is supported.

best regards
---
Michael Schumacher

John R Pierce 05-03-2011 09:30 AM

list of supported hardware

the certified list at redhat.com is all you're likely to find.

Brandon Ooi 05-03-2011 09:36 AM

list of supported hardware

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:30 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

On 05/03/11 2:16 AM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

> Hello CentOS list,

> I have been looking for a list of hardware that is supported by the

> Centos kernel and its modules. I couldn't find anything in the

> documentation at Centos nor at RH. Google didn't bring up anything

> either. Is there any list or will I need to browse the source code

> directories?

> Just for clarification, I am not looking for "certified" hardware. I

> just want to see if a certain piece of hardware is supported.

the certified list at redhat.com is all you're likely to find.

Honestly your best bet is to identify the hardware that may have issues (newer ethernet, raid cards, hba's etc..). Figure out what chipset they use and google for it or look at RH release notes and kernel source to see if the driver is included. The driver source code usually has a pretty good list of supported chipsets and pci ids.

Brandon

Devin Reade 05-03-2011 04:13 PM

list of supported hardware

I've also found it to be a good rule of thumb to not purchase motherboards
that are using technology that have been out for less than a year or so.
This is more applicable to "desktop/consumer grade" systems rather than
"server grade" systems, since the latter don't tend to use a given
technology until it has been out for a while anyway.

Conversely, if you're deploying on an arbitrary x86 system that is more
than a
year and a half old (excluding laptops, which are sometimes more
problematic),
then most things usually work out of the box. Again, this is just rule of
thumb;
nothing beats testing with the actual hardware if you can.

Devin