-   -   community communication (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/521415-community-communication.html)

Steve Castellotti 05-03-2011 07:50 AM

community communication

On 05/03/2011 02:26 AM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> Have you been following things lately or not?

If I missed an update or announcement I apologize.

I check the @CentOS twitter feed several times per day.

I lurk in the #centos, #centos-devel, #centos-qa, and
#centos-social IRC chat rooms regularly.

I checked the centos and centos-devel mailing list archives for any
information since the last twitter update (and several weeks prior)
before composing my email.

Is there some other resource I should include in my daily sweeps
seeking information? I am trying to remain as low-impact as possible on
the developer community, but without hearing anything two weeks after
that last twitter update promised more information in "the new few days"
it seemed the best next step would be to submit the question to this list.

> They are now QA the installers.

Thank you.

> If you so cannot wait, go hit SL or RH.

I believe I can wait for the release but knowing the difference
between one month, three months, or another six months would have an
impact. I am only seeking updated information or knowledge of a means to
pursue that information directly.

Cheers

Akemi Yagi 05-03-2011 07:59 AM

community communication

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Steve Castellotti <sc@eyemagnet.com> wrote:

> * * I check the @CentOS twitter feed several times per day.
>
> * * I lurk in the #centos, #centos-devel, #centos-qa, and
> #centos-social IRC chat rooms regularly.
>
> * * I checked the centos and centos-devel mailing list archives for any
> information since the last twitter update (and several weeks prior)
> before composing my email.
>
> * * Is there some other resource I should include in my daily sweeps
> seeking information?

Forum Announcement is yet another place you may want to check:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25878&forum=53

The latest (post #9) says:

"What I can tell you, as a result of my recent communication with
Karanbir, is that the last few packages are now being worked on and it
is hoped that both trees (32- and 64-bit) will be with the QA team by
about 10th May. Please remember, any date mentioned is just an
estimate and is not set in stone."

Akemi

"John R. Dennison" 05-03-2011 08:12 AM

community communication

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 12:59:03AM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> Forum Announcement is yet another place you may want to check:

Forums, mailing lists, twitter feeds...

Enough is enough.

Can we _please_ consolidate such status updates, the few times they
appear, at _one_ location? People should not have to play guessing
games as to where status updates may or may not appear, nor should they
have to be checking a minimum of 3 sources to locate such information.

Having a single location would be a great boon and would allow us to
point people to one "official" location when the inevitable questions on
releases come up.

Sorry, Akemi - this really isn't in direct reply to you, but to the
thread in general :)

John

--
Technology makes it possible for people to gain control over everything,
except over technology.

-- John Tudor

Steve Castellotti 05-03-2011 08:15 AM

community communication

On 05/03/2011 02:59 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> Forum Announcement is yet another place you may want to check:
>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25878&forum=53
>
> The latest (post #9) says:
>
> "What I can tell you, as a result of my recent communication with
> Karanbir, is that the last few packages are now being worked on and it
> is hoped that both trees (32- and 64-bit) will be with the QA team by
> about 10th May. Please remember, any date mentioned is just an
> estimate and is not set in stone."

Ah excellent, thank you.

I hadn't considered the web forums.

May 10th for reaching QA sounds reasonably like release might land
in the 1-3 month than 3-6 month range which is in line with our needs.

Again thank you for the quick response - even if one wouldn't mind
more consistent and frequent "official" updates!

Cheers

Lucian 05-03-2011 08:20 AM

community communication

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 9:12 AM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 12:59:03AM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>
>> Forum Announcement is yet another place you may want to check:
>
> Forums, mailing lists, twitter feeds...
>
> Enough is enough.
>
> Can we _please_ consolidate such status updates, the few times they
> appear, at _one_ location? *People should not have to play guessing
> games as to where status updates may or may not appear, nor should they
> have to be checking a minimum of 3 sources to locate such information.
>
> Having a single location would be a great boon and would allow us to
> point people to one "official" location when the inevitable questions on
> releases come up.

+1

Ned Slider 05-03-2011 09:47 AM

community communication

On 03/05/11 09:12, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 12:59:03AM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>
>> Forum Announcement is yet another place you may want to check:
>
> Forums, mailing lists, twitter feeds...
>
> Enough is enough.
>
> Can we _please_ consolidate such status updates, the few times they
> appear, at _one_ location? People should not have to play guessing
> games as to where status updates may or may not appear, nor should they
> have to be checking a minimum of 3 sources to locate such information.

Erm, I thought that's exactly what Alan was doing - on the forums. He
pulls all the information together and posts it in that thread. I'm sure
we've had this discussion before.

Phil Schaffner 05-03-2011 09:53 AM

community communication

John R. Dennison wrote on 05/03/2011 04:12 AM:
> Having a single location would be a great boon and would allow us to
> point people to one "official" location when the inevitable questions on
> releases come up.

I will leave it to core team members to comment on how "official" it is,
but the "CentOS Announcements" link is available from the menu bar at
the top of the home page or from any Forum page. It points to content
that is updated frequently.

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=53

Phil

Karanbir Singh 05-03-2011 10:06 AM

community communication

On 05/03/2011 07:57 AM, Steve Castellotti wrote:

> /"We should have news, along with a release plan, for CentOS-6 in the
> next few days"/

There is a plan, of sorts. I wanted to make sure the QA guys had a few
days to mull it over before making it public. And then there was the
rather nice and long holiday weekends here in the UK. 10th is the first
target, with a release couple of weeks later. We have a potential
release date to work against from there on.

- KB

"John R. Dennison" 05-03-2011 10:38 AM

community communication

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 05:53:23AM -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> I will leave it to core team members to comment on how "official" it is,
> but the "CentOS Announcements" link is available from the menu bar at
> the top of the home page or from any Forum page. It points to content
> that is updated frequently.
>
> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=53

This would be fine if it was inclusive of all bits of
information from the sources I mentioned. Simple case in point
was the centos twitter blurb from 4/18/2010 or if it includes
the most recent centos twitter from a short time ago.

People want to see this type of information, no matter how
trivial it may appear; there wouldn't be 7,406 followers if not.
This is what I meant in my previous reply; to get all this
information they need to follow twitter _and_ the announcement
forum thread _and_ the mailing list. Perhaps the new website
design will permit better data funneling but right now that's
not available.

If it all goes to the forum thread, that would be fine.

John

--
It has always seemed strange to me that in our endless discussions about
education so little stress is laid on the pleasure of becoming an educated

-- Edith Hamilton (1867-1963), educator and writer, Saturday Evening Post,

"Brunner, Brian T." 05-03-2011 01:15 PM

community communication

centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 9:12 AM, John R. Dennison
> <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 12:59:03AM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>>
>>> Forum Announcement is yet another place you may want to check:
>>
>> Forums, mailing lists, twitter feeds...
>>
>> Enough is enough.
>>
>> Can we _please_ consolidate such status updates, the few times they
>> appear, at _one_ location? *People should not have to play guessing
>> games as to where status updates may or may not appear, nor should
>> they have to be checking a minimum of 3 sources to locate such
>> information.
>>
>> Having a single location would be a great boon and would allow us to
>> point people to one "official" location when the inevitable
>> questions on releases come up.
>
> +1

+1
And it's not asking too much that the CentOS team post *here* the information for
which they KNOW we're waiting with bated breath; meaning *here on this list as
well as on their many other locations*, including forums I don't have access to
on a regular basis.

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.

//me