Old 05-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Warren Young

Default Boot speed (was: RHEL 6.1 beta)

On 5/2/2011 10:25 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>> Trying to save a few seconds when rebooting a server seems pointlessto me
>
> The Linux kernel is also used in laptops/desktops

Fast boots also matter for embedded systems.

We integrate a series of Linux-based boxes made by another company into
our system, and one of them reboots in about 9 seconds, while the other
version takes about a minute. The latter are a pain to code for, since
it means you have to have timeouts that can cope with a device going MIA
for over a full minute before they can be talked to again.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:17 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> On 5/2/2011 10:25 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>>>
>>> Trying to save a few seconds when rebooting a server seems
>>> pointlessto me
>>
>> The Linux kernel is also used in laptops/desktops
>
> Fast boots also matter for embedded systems.

+1

So does booting on small, non-PAE hardware.
RH wants to drop the embedded world, but the centosplus kernel may yet
"save us" from ignominy.

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.

//me