Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Amos Shapira

Default Rebuilding RHEL from source?

Hello,

Does anyone have instructions on how to go through the entire process from downloading source RPM's from RedHat's servers through to building the entire distribution?

I've searched through the web and CentOS' own web sites and couldn't find such instructions.

Is it just a matter of downloading them from ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/ and building the packages?

This is for personal/internal use so there shouldn't be an issue with trademarks+redistribution as far as I'm aware.

Thanks,

--Amos

Old 05-02-2011, 02:22 AM
R P Herrold

On Mon, 2 May 2011, Amos Shapira wrote:

> Does anyone have instructions on how to go through the
> entire process from downloading source RPM's from RedHat's
> servers through to building the entire distribution?
>
> I've searched through the web and CentOS' own web sites and couldn't find
> such instructions.

yeah - no one has ever documented it

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-April/109942.html

Those centos people are hiding the secrets

... not

You must have looked -- what? 5 seconds?

-- Russ herrold

Old 05-02-2011, 02:40 AM
"Jason Pyeron"

Nice write up. I we could provide some VMs let us know.

- -
- Jason Pyeron PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant 10 West 24th Street #100 -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333 Baltimore, Maryland 21218 -
- -

Old 05-02-2011, 02:47 AM
John R Pierce

On 05/01/11 7:17 PM, Amos Shapira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have instructions on how to go through the entire process
> from downloading source RPM's from RedHat's servers through to
> building the entire distribution?
>
> I've searched through the web and CentOS' own web sites and couldn't
> find such instructions.
>
> Is it just a matter of downloading them from
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/
> and building the packages?
>
> This is for personal/internal use so there shouldn't be an issue with
> trademarks+redistribution as far as I'm aware.

the difficult part is figuring out which compilers and tools and such to
use to build certain components, this isn't published, and you can't
just use the tools built into el5 or whatever and expect correct results.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Amos Shapira

On 2 May 2011 12:22, R P Herrold <herrold@owlriver.com> wrote:

On Mon, 2 May 2011, Amos Shapira wrote:

> Does anyone have instructions on how to go through the

> entire process from downloading source RPM's from RedHat's

> servers through to building the entire distribution?

> I've searched through the web and CentOS' own web sites and couldn't find

> such instructions.

yeah - no one has ever documented it

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-April/109942.html

Those centos people are hiding the secrets

... not

You must have looked -- what? 5 seconds?

Thanks for the pointer and your kind words.

None of the keywords I used ("Red Hat", "RHEL", "Build", "Compile" "source" etc) appear in this reference, even though I've been digging for this on and off for a few days.

If I get to implement this, I'll try to put up the scripts in public.

Cheers,

--Amos