Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 AM
"John R. Dennison"

Default Switching to php53

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 09:40:13AM +0100, Dave Cross wrote:

> This is exactly what worried me. Thanks for confirming my fears.

Something else I should have pointed out earlier is that the php53
package from TUV does _not_ have a Provide: php in effect; meaning that
this is not a fully drop-in replacement for the default version and will
cause issues if you try to use it with packages that require "php" to be
provided for - squirrelmail is one such example of a package that CentOS
provides that will not work with php53 but there are many others.

There are some other issues present with php53 as well. People needing
php53 support may very well be happier with the package as provided by
the IUS repository; it's more complete and more compatible than the one
that TUV is supplying. More information on IUS is available at:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

Please take a few moments and read the IUS web page that's linked off
the CentOS wiki article in its entirety to understand how IUS works.

John
--
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems
unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.

-- Konrad Hermann Josef Adenauer (1876-1967), West German Chancellor from
1949-1963, as quoted in Through Russian Eyes: President Kennedy's 1036
Days (1973) by Anatoli-Andreevich Gromyko

Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Dave Cross

On 1 May 2011 09:40, Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 May 2011 08:50, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 08:19:49AM +0100, Lucian wrote:
>>>
>>> It's not really that risky, just rpm -e --nodeps and then yum install
>>> php53 packages.
>>
>> Do not follow this advice at all; it will most likely wreck your server.
>>
>> Contact Plesk support or your hosting provider's support department and
>> ask them about upgrading php. *Plesk, like most control panels,
>> integrates quite tightly into your system; replacing the system default
>> php-5.1.6 with the php53 optional package may not be supported for your
>> environment.
>
> This is exactly what worried me. Thanks for confirming my fears.

Some quick research reveals that it's likely to break Plesk horribly.

http://forum.parallels.com/printthread.php?t=109479

I think I'll wait for Centos 6 (and for Plesk to certify it).

Thanks for all the help.

Dave...

--
Dave Cross :: dave@dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/

Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Lucian

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 8:50 AM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 08:19:49AM +0100, Lucian wrote:
>>
>> It's not really that risky, just rpm -e --nodeps and then yum install
>> php53 packages.
>
> Do not follow this advice at all; it will most likely wreck your server.
>
> Contact Plesk support or your hosting provider's support department and
> ask them about upgrading php. *Plesk, like most control panels,
> integrates quite tightly into your system; replacing the system default
> php-5.1.6 with the php53 optional package may not be supported for your
> environment.

Plesk uses stock PHP (one of the smarter things about Plesk) so you
can pretty much play around with it. The problem here is indeed the
fact that php53 from RH doesn't "Provide" "php" (other repos have this
fixed, ius etc).
What I advised wouldn't have "horribly" broken his setup; fixing it
would've been as simple and fast as uninstalling php53 and
reinstalling old php 5.1, 1 minute job.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:29 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 01:02:13PM +0100, Lucian wrote:
> What I advised wouldn't have "horribly" broken his setup; fixing it
> would've been as simple and fast as uninstalling php53 and
> reinstalling old php 5.1, 1 minute job.

Broken is broken; it doesn't matter that it is trivial to fix, it would
have still wrecked his system and possibly disrupted business.

Additionally using --nodeps (or --force for that matter) should _always_
be a last resort option; and if you have to resort to using either of
them perhaps taking a step back and engineering a different solution
would be best.

John
--
Although CREW has been unable to uncover the demographic makeup of [these
companies], it seems safe to assume the vast majority of their employees

-- Melanie Sloan of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington,
after more than a dozen companies were given the vaccines, including
Citigroup, Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase, 5 November 2009