Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Jussi Hirvi

Default Identifying physical disks

I am sure this is really simple.

I have a setup of 2 disks (sda, sdb) which are outwardly identical, and
are mirrors of each other. Together they form 3 raid1 devices. Both
disks can boot.

Now sda has bad sectors, and I should replace it. But which one of the
physical disks is sda??

The machine boots fine from either one of the disks, (and the booting
disk of course is always called sda).

In the messages log I see entries like this:

Apr 29 02:21:07 a134-224 kernel: ata2: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus
123 SControl 300)

By noticing which SATA link (ata1, ata2) is up and which is down, I can
find out which physical disk is connected to ata1 and which to ata2.

If both disks are connected, will the hd in ata1 become sda, and the hd
in ata2 become sdb??

- Jussi

Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Eero Volotinen

2011/4/30 Jussi Hirvi <listmember@greenspot.fi>:
> I am sure this is really simple.
>
> I have a setup of 2 disks (sda, sdb) which are outwardly identical, and
> are mirrors of each other. Together they form 3 raid1 devices. Both
> disks can boot.
>
> Now sda has bad sectors, and I should replace it. But which one of the
> physical disks is sda??

take look at serial number using smartctl

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/using-smartctl-to-get-smart-status-information-on-your-hard-drives/1389

--
Eero

Old 04-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Jussi Hirvi

On 30.4.2011 12.34, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> take look at serial number using smartctl
>
> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/using-smartctl-to-get-smart-status-information-on-your-hard-drives/1389

Thanks, I did. I am sure they will help me when it is time to actually
replace the drive.

- Jussi

Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Kay Diederichs

On 04/30/2011 11:30 AM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
> I am sure this is really simple.
>
> I have a setup of 2 disks (sda, sdb) which are outwardly identical, and
> are mirrors of each other. Together they form 3 raid1 devices. Both
> disks can boot.
>
> Now sda has bad sectors, and I should replace it. But which one of the
> physical disks is sda??
>
> The machine boots fine from either one of the disks, (and the booting
> disk of course is always called sda).
>
> In the messages log I see entries like this:
>
> Apr 29 02:21:07 a134-224 kernel: ata2: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus
> 123 SControl 300)
>
> By noticing which SATA link (ata1, ata2) is up and which is down, I can
> find out which physical disk is connected to ata1 and which to ata2.
>
> If both disks are connected, will the hd in ata1 become sda, and the hd
> in ata2 become sdb??
>
> - Jussi

run
hdparm -tT /dev/sda
and identify sda - it is the one with the blinking LEDs.

HTH,
Kay

Old 05-03-2011, 07:05 PM
"Andy Holt"

How about:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-id

which on my system gives me:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 6 14:34 scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD154UIS1XWJ1BZ900317 -> ../../sdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 6 14:34 scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD154UIS1XWJ1BZ900318 -> ../../sdb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 6 14:34 scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD154UIS1XWJ9CZA00454 -> ../../sdd

which are my three identical Samsung HD154UI disks. Their serial numbers are the S1XWJ... bits at the end.

hth Andy

Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Jussi Hirvi

On 3.5.2011 22.05, Andy Holt wrote:
> ls -l /dev/disk/by-id
>
> which on my system gives me:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 6 14:34 scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD154UIS1XWJ1BZ900317 -> ../../sdc
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 6 14:34 scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD154UIS1XWJ1BZ900318 -> ../../sdb
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 6 14:34 scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD154UIS1XWJ9CZA00454 -> ../../sdd
>
> which are my three identical Samsung HD154UI disks. Their serial numbers are the S1XWJ... bits at the end.

Hei,

That is cool! Thanks.

- Jussi