Old 04-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Todd Rinaldo

Default I have RHel6. How does that turn into Centos 6?

On Apr 29, 2011, at 11:43 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:On 04/29/2011 11:17 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
The bickering here about Centos 6 has made me wonder what is actually
legally necessary to re-distribute the RPM files that come with RHel6.

I am not starting a flame ware, I hope. *I'm just curious about what
is minimally necessary go from RHel6 to another distribution. I
suppose we could discuss "Paul Linux 6" instead of Centos, if that
makes you feel more comfortable. (and not too OT)

Suppose I dump out all of the SRPM packages and do a global find and
search to change the characters "RedHat" to "Paul". *What else would I
have to do?

Which of the RPM files in RH6 have "proprietary" software in them?
Those cannot be re-distributed as is? I figure there must be
something, because I installed the test version of SL6 back in January
and it locked up in disk recognition, whereas RH6 did not. So the Rhel
6 folks know some secrets stuff.

So, obviously, to create Centos 6, oops, Paul Linux 6, *I have to
isolate the non-GPL software and then replace it with something
workable.

After that, what am I legally required to do? *As far as all of the
other RPM packages are concerned, couldn't they be redistributed
exactly as they are, without any modification at all? In Centos-devel,
it appears to me most of the discussion is about "re-branding", going
through the packages and changing "RedHat" to "Centos" and swapping
out icons.

Is that legally necessary? *In my memory, there was a Linux distro
called Mandrake and it was exactly the same as RH for i386, except
they re-compiled with gcc options for i686. *I recall that in many of
the RPM packages in Mandrake, they did not bother to replace "RedHat"
with some other name.

This is not the PAUL Linux mailing list. *It is the CentOS mailing list.

The CentOS project will not redistribute files signed by Red Hat, and we
will not sign files that we do not create. *Simple as that.

You also must make a "good faith effort" to not distribute any branding
that makes your version of Linux tell people that it is Red Hat Linux or
Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

I've always been surprised that CentOS ships /etc/redhat-release given the above paragraph.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Digimer

On 04/29/2011 01:26 PM, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
> I've always been surprised that CentOS ships /etc/redhat-release given
> the above paragraph.

Probably a programmatic requirement, if I was the betting type.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Old 04-29-2011, 05:52 PM
John R Pierce

On 04/29/11 10:26 AM, Todd Rinaldo wrote:

> I've always been surprised that CentOS ships /etc/redhat-release given
> the above paragraph.

I've always been annoyed that file isn't /etc/release like many other
unix systems. or at least symlinked as such.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/29/2011 11:17 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Which of the RPM files in RH6 have "proprietary" software in them?
> Those cannot be re-distributed as is? I figure there must be
> something, because I installed the test version of SL6 back in January
> and it locked up in disk recognition, whereas RH6 did not. So the Rhel
> 6 folks know some secrets stuff.

I don't think that's a reasonable conclusion. There's a reason one is
called a 'test' version, after all. Things often work better after
fixing the things found in tests...

> Is that legally necessary? In my memory, there was a Linux distro
> called Mandrake and it was exactly the same as RH for i386, except
> they re-compiled with gcc options for i686. I recall that in many of
> the RPM packages in Mandrake, they did not bother to replace "RedHat"
> with some other name.

If you are remembering from long ago, it was probably before Red Hat
decided to restrict redistribution (remember, the thing that helped them
build the community that generated the most of the content they ship and
found/fixed lots of bugs...).

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-29-2011, 06:50 PM
John Hinton

On 4/29/2011 1:46 PM, Digimer wrote:
> On 04/29/2011 01:26 PM, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
>> I've always been surprised that CentOS ships /etc/redhat-release given
>> the above paragraph.
> Probably a programmatic requirement, if I was the betting type.

I could easily be confused as it has been so long now... I think
Whitebox actually changed that to whitebox-release and maybe CentOS did
the save very early on. But, many applications look for that file and if
they see redhat-release, know their stuff can run on your system and you
are off to the races. I suppose the final answer was it wasn't an
infringement and solved a lot of other problems. Seems I had to edit
this file or name to get something to run on a server like 4 or 5 years
ago?

Am I required to remember everything I did from that long back? LOL
There might be some stuff in the archives though... back in the early
ver. 3 days.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502

Old 04-29-2011, 06:56 PM
"NOYK"

Given the difficulty of getting Centos 6 released - maybe this is not the
correct group to ask. Just saying.

[...]

PJ
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 04-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Eric Viseur

On top of that, it just seems logical granted the RHEL binary compatibility thing.* It's used by many apps to detect the distro you're using, so...

Old 04-29-2011, 07:01 PM

John Hinton wrote:
> On 4/29/2011 1:46 PM, Digimer wrote:
>> On 04/29/2011 01:26 PM, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
>>> I've always been surprised that CentOS ships /etc/redhat-release given
>>> the above paragraph.
>> Probably a programmatic requirement, if I was the betting type.
>>
> I could easily be confused as it has been so long now... I think
> Whitebox actually changed that to whitebox-release and maybe CentOS did
> the save very early on. But, many applications look for that file and if
> they see redhat-release, know their stuff can run on your system and you
> are off to the races. I suppose the final answer was it wasn't an
> infringement and solved a lot of other problems. Seems I had to edit
> this file or name to get something to run on a server like 4 or 5 years
> ago?
>
> Am I required to remember everything I did from that long back? LOL
> There might be some stuff in the archives though... back in the early
> ver. 3 days.

Actually, it annoys me - it *should* be LSB release, not redhat, I always
thought.

mark

Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Les Mikesell

>> Am I required to remember everything I did from that long back? LOL
>> There might be some stuff in the archives though... back in the early
>> ver. 3 days.
>
> Actually, it annoys me - it *should* be LSB release, not redhat, I always
> thought.

Well, if LSB actually meant you could run something unchanged across
distributions. I've never had much hope for that.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-29-2011, 07:16 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> Given the difficulty of getting Centos 6 released - maybe
> this is not the
> correct group to ask. Just saying.

Actually, telling us just how hard and complex and detail-burdened it
would be to kick off "BlueSox", a homolog to CentOS rebuilding of
"RedHat", might calm down some of the anxiety we've endured this year.
I've come to understand that "hard" is not a matter of innovation, it's
a matter of enduring
1: highly boring build-inspect-tweak-repeat cycles
2: repeated for a large number of packages.
3: Being so careful with the fine details that businesses world-wide
trust your statement "It's Done".

Russ Harrold commented on this as a 'nose-to-the-grindstone' labor; I
can't comment on how much nose is required.

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.

//me