-   -   ETA (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/519608-eta.html)

Dimitri Maziuk 04-28-2011 05:25 PM

ETA

Dear developers,

I don't care for reasons, arguments, or flamefests. I need to plan my
workload.

By now I have half a dozen servers overdue for reimaging. I can put this
off for another week or two, but not really much longer.

There's obviously no point in installing centos 5 on any new machine.

So I need to know: is there any point in my waiting another week, or
should I just say 'screw it' and start scheduling SL roll-outs.

Thank you in advance
Dima

04-28-2011 05:32 PM

ETA

Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> I don't care for reasons, arguments, or flamefests. I need to plan my
> workload.
>
> By now I have half a dozen servers overdue for reimaging. I can put this
> off for another week or two, but not really much longer.
>
> There's obviously no point in installing centos 5 on any new machine.
>
> So I need to know: is there any point in my waiting another week, or
> should I just say 'screw it' and start scheduling SL roll-outs.

I don't understand. CentOS 5.6 is out - I've been rolling it out for well
over a week.

Or did you mean 6.0?

mark

Johnny Hughes 04-28-2011 05:41 PM

ETA

On 04/28/2011 12:25 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> I don't care for reasons, arguments, or flamefests. I need to plan my
> workload.
>
> By now I have half a dozen servers overdue for reimaging. I can put this
> off for another week or two, but not really much longer.
>
> There's obviously no point in installing centos 5 on any new machine.
>
> So I need to know: is there any point in my waiting another week, or
> should I just say 'screw it' and start scheduling SL roll-outs.

If you want to deploy 6.0 within two weeks then you need to use
Scientific Linux.

Dimitri Maziuk 04-28-2011 05:44 PM

ETA

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 04/28/2011 12:25 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
>> Dear developers,
>>
>> I don't care for reasons, arguments, or flamefests. I need to plan my
>> workload.
>>
>> By now I have half a dozen servers overdue for reimaging. I can put this
>> off for another week or two, but not really much longer.
>>
>> There's obviously no point in installing centos 5 on any new machine.
>>
>> So I need to know: is there any point in my waiting another week, or
>> should I just say 'screw it' and start scheduling SL roll-outs.
>>

> If you want to deploy 6.0 within two weeks then you need to use
> Scientific Linux.

Thank you.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Dima

Daniel Heitmann 04-28-2011 06:01 PM

ETA

He meant 6, that's why he mentioned SL, I think.

You should at least wait "a few days" upon making a decision, see: https://twitter.com/#!/centos

You should also remember that CentOS is a community effort and not RHEL.

Greetings,
Daniel Heitmann

gpg id: B251006E | key: http://horrendum.de/gpg.asc
xmpp: maledictvm@jabber.ccc.de | otr-fingerprint: http://horrendum.de/otr.txt

Proprietary attachments instantly go to /dev/null.

Robert Heller 04-28-2011 06:18 PM

ETA

> Dear developers,
>
> I don't care for reasons, arguments, or flamefests. I need to plan my
> workload.
>
> By now I have half a dozen servers overdue for reimaging. I can put this
> off for another week or two, but not really much longer.
>
> There's obviously no point in installing centos 5 on any new machine.

I am not so sure about that. If you need the machine up today, install
5.6 on it -- you can always upgrade later. If you want bleeding edge
software install Fedora Core 14. Otherwise sit tight. Hassling the
developers is not going to make CentOS 6 show up any sooner.

I know that if I needed a server up this week or next week, I'd go ahead
and install CentOS 5.6. (And I would have installed CentOS 5.5 back
before CentOS 5.6 was released.)

Johnny Hughes 04-28-2011 06:34 PM

ETA

On 04/28/2011 01:18 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> Dear developers,
>>
>> I don't care for reasons, arguments, or flamefests. I need to plan my
>> workload.
>>
>> By now I have half a dozen servers overdue for reimaging. I can put this
>> off for another week or two, but not really much longer.
>>
>> There's obviously no point in installing centos 5 on any new machine.
>
> I am not so sure about that. If you need the machine up today, install
> 5.6 on it -- you can always upgrade later. If you want bleeding edge
> software install Fedora Core 14. Otherwise sit tight. Hassling the
> developers is not going to make CentOS 6 show up any sooner.
>
> I know that if I needed a server up this week or next week, I'd go ahead
> and install CentOS 5.6. (And I would have installed CentOS 5.5 back
> before CentOS 5.6 was released.)

CentOS-5.x has an EOL data of March 31, 2014. I deploy new 5.x servers
all the time.

3 years is half of the useful lifetime of the distribution.

But, if people have to make a decision and deploy within the new 2
weeks, then I would not be waiting for 6.0 to be released during that time.

We might have a tree with installable net images by then.

Johnny Hughes 04-28-2011 06:36 PM

ETA

On 04/28/2011 01:34 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 04/28/2011 01:18 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
>>

>>> Dear developers,
>>>
>>> I don't care for reasons, arguments, or flamefests. I need to plan my
>>> workload.
>>>
>>> By now I have half a dozen servers overdue for reimaging. I can put this
>>> off for another week or two, but not really much longer.
>>>
>>> There's obviously no point in installing centos 5 on any new machine.
>>
>> I am not so sure about that. If you need the machine up today, install
>> 5.6 on it -- you can always upgrade later. If you want bleeding edge
>> software install Fedora Core 14. Otherwise sit tight. Hassling the
>> developers is not going to make CentOS 6 show up any sooner.
>>
>> I know that if I needed a server up this week or next week, I'd go ahead
>> and install CentOS 5.6. (And I would have installed CentOS 5.5 back
>> before CentOS 5.6 was released.)
>>

> CentOS-5.x has an EOL data of March 31, 2014. I deploy new 5.x servers
> all the time.
>
> 3 years is half of the useful lifetime of the distribution.
>
> But, if people have to make a decision and deploy within the new 2
> weeks, then I would not be waiting for 6.0 to be released during that time.
>
> We might have a tree with installable net images by then.

I meant to say "IN QA" by then :)