Old 04-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Reynolds McClatchey

Default INN removed from CentOS 6

I use inn to make internal company announcements and
discussions available to remote offices.
I note inn is removed form RHEL 6. What replaces inn?

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Technical_Notes/apc.html

Will inn be available from elsewhere? Will I have to compile
it?

Should I modify my scripts to create and install html files
for a web server? That would make article deletion, archiving,
and maintenance more difficult than it is with the inn
nntp server.

Is there some "forum" type package that would be better
than the inn system?
--
M Reynolds McClatchey Jr VP Engineering and Inventory
Southern Aluminum Finishing Co Inc 404-355-1560 x222 Voice

Old 04-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Robert Heller

> I use inn to make internal company announcements and
> discussions available to remote offices.
> I note inn is removed form RHEL 6. What replaces inn?
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Technical_Notes/apc.html
>
> Will inn be available from elsewhere? Will I have to compile
> it?
>
> Should I modify my scripts to create and install html files
> for a web server? That would make article deletion, archiving,
> and maintenance more difficult than it is with the inn
> nntp server.
>
> Is there some "forum" type package that would be better
> than the inn system?

You could install one of several (open source) CMS packages, that work
with a database (MySQL) and a Webserver (Apache) and are generally
coded in PHP. WordPress is a fairly simple system that might give you
what you want. Not exactly a "forum", but does allow people to
'comment' on blog entries (posts), which might be all you need. It
does allow for the site adminstrator to grant authoring privs to other
users. And there might be plugins that implement full-fledged forums
(I haven't looked). Joomla! is a more comprehensive CMS system and it
does have extensions that implement forums.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Mário Barbosa

Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
> I use inn to make internal company announcements and
> discussions available to remote offices.
> I note inn is removed form RHEL 6. What replaces inn?
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Technical_Notes/apc.html
>
> Will inn be available from elsewhere? Will I have to compile
> it?
>
> Should I modify my scripts to create and install html files
> for a web server? That would make article deletion, archiving,
> and maintenance more difficult than it is with the inn
> nntp server.
>
> Is there some "forum" type package that would be better
> than the inn system?

I am a bit out of my waters. Nevertheless, if unable to find an
alternative in the NNTP space, something you may want to try is
cyrus-imap + shared (readonly) mailboxes + any imap client on the planet

Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Keith Keller

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 09:56:44AM -0400, Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
> I use inn to make internal company announcements and
> discussions available to remote offices.
> I note inn is removed form RHEL 6. What replaces inn?

INN the NNTP server? If that's the one, then you might try leafnode,
which should be in rpmforge.

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

Old 04-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/27/2011 9:24 AM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> I use inn to make internal company announcements and
>> discussions available to remote offices.
>> I note inn is removed form RHEL 6. What replaces inn?
>>
>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Technical_Notes/apc.html
>>
>> Will inn be available from elsewhere? Will I have to compile
>> it?
>>
>> Should I modify my scripts to create and install html files
>> for a web server? That would make article deletion, archiving,
>> and maintenance more difficult than it is with the inn
>> nntp server.
>>
>> Is there some "forum" type package that would be better
>> than the inn system?
>
> You could install one of several (open source) CMS packages, that work
> with a database (MySQL) and a Webserver (Apache) and are generally
> coded in PHP. WordPress is a fairly simple system that might give you
> what you want. Not exactly a "forum", but does allow people to
> 'comment' on blog entries (posts), which might be all you need. It
> does allow for the site adminstrator to grant authoring privs to other
> users. And there might be plugins that implement full-fledged forums
> (I haven't looked). Joomla! is a more comprehensive CMS system and it
> does have extensions that implement forums.

A wiki works well for this sort of thing too, especially if it has the
ability to email notifications about updates. Inn/news does have an
advantage in scaling and resource consumption, but the real issue here
is retraining the users, especially if they are currently using a combo
news/email client that automatically sees new messages posted to a
group. I've always wondered if there is a free equivalent of the
software running http://news.lugnet.com/ which seems to be
simultaneously a web forum, a newsgroup, and an email list, depending on
how you access it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Robert Heller

> On 4/27/2011 9:24 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
> >

> >> I use inn to make internal company announcements and
> >> discussions available to remote offices.
> >> I note inn is removed form RHEL 6. What replaces inn?
> >>
> >> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Technical_Notes/apc.html
> >>
> >> Will inn be available from elsewhere? Will I have to compile
> >> it?
> >>
> >> Should I modify my scripts to create and install html files
> >> for a web server? That would make article deletion, archiving,
> >> and maintenance more difficult than it is with the inn
> >> nntp server.
> >>
> >> Is there some "forum" type package that would be better
> >> than the inn system?
> >
> > You could install one of several (open source) CMS packages, that work
> > with a database (MySQL) and a Webserver (Apache) and are generally
> > coded in PHP. WordPress is a fairly simple system that might give you
> > what you want. Not exactly a "forum", but does allow people to
> > 'comment' on blog entries (posts), which might be all you need. It
> > does allow for the site adminstrator to grant authoring privs to other
> > users. And there might be plugins that implement full-fledged forums
> > (I haven't looked). Joomla! is a more comprehensive CMS system and it
> > does have extensions that implement forums.
>
> A wiki works well for this sort of thing too, especially if it has the
> ability to email notifications about updates. Inn/news does have an
> advantage in scaling and resource consumption, but the real issue here
> is retraining the users, especially if they are currently using a combo
> news/email client that automatically sees new messages posted to a
> group. I've always wondered if there is a free equivalent of the
> software running http://news.lugnet.com/ which seems to be
> simultaneously a web forum, a newsgroup, and an email list, depending on
> how you access it.

I think Mailman might have a news=>mailing list 'gateway' function and
I think there are news=>web forum gateway packages 'out there'. It is
possible http://news.lugnet.com/ is just a nntp server (eg inn) with
some 'addon' packages (eg Mailman).

Old 04-27-2011, 03:05 PM

Robert Heller wrote:
> wrote:
>> On 4/27/2011 9:24 AM, Robert Heller wrote:

<snip>
> I think Mailman might have a news=>mailing list 'gateway' function and
> I think there are news=>web forum gateway packages 'out there'. It is
> possible http://news.lugnet.com/ is just a nntp server (eg inn) with
> some 'addon' packages (eg Mailman).

I was thinking of a mailing list, myself, when I saw Robert's reply.

mark

Old 04-27-2011, 04:27 PM

In article <1303912604.9834.12.camel@reylinux.saf.com>,
Reynolds McClatchey <rey@saf.com> wrote:
> I use inn to make internal company announcements and
> discussions available to remote offices.
> I note inn is removed form RHEL 6. What replaces inn?
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Technical_Notes/apc.html
>
> Will inn be available from elsewhere? Will I have to compile
> it?

The first thing I would try is to install the inn SRPM from either
the latest CentOS 5 or Fedora 14 and try rebuilding it:

Either:
# rpm -ivh inn-2.4.3-9.el5.src.rpm
Or:
# rpm -ivh inn-2.5.2-4.fc14.src.rpm
Then:
# cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
# rpmbuild -ba inn.spec

Then the RPM should be in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk

Old 04-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article<1303912604.9834.12.camel@reylinux.saf.com> ,
> Reynolds McClatchey<rey@saf.com> wrote:
>> I use inn to make internal company announcements and
>> discussions available to remote offices.
>> I note inn is removed form RHEL 6. What replaces inn?
>>
>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Technical_Notes/apc.html
>>
>> Will inn be available from elsewhere? Will I have to compile
>> it?
>
> The first thing I would try is to install the inn SRPM from either
> the latest CentOS 5 or Fedora 14 and try rebuilding it:
>
> Either:
> # rpm -ivh inn-2.4.3-9.el5.src.rpm
> Or:
> # rpm -ivh inn-2.5.2-4.fc14.src.rpm
> Then:
> # cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
> # rpmbuild -ba inn.spec
>
> Then the RPM should be in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

For the record, you shouldn't build as root. Instead follow these
instructions:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SetupRpmBuildEnvironment

Also, if you're not changing the SRPM you can simply rpmbuild --rebuild .

Old 04-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Robert Nichols

On 04/27/2011 08:56 AM, Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
> I use inn to make internal company announcements and
> discussions available to remote offices.
> I note inn is removed form RHEL 6. What replaces inn?
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Technical_Notes/apc.html
>
> Will inn be available from elsewhere? Will I have to compile
> it?

Quickest solution is to grab the SRPM from Fedora 13 and build it on
your RHEL 6 machine. I just tried that on Scientific Linux 6.0, and
"rpmbuild -ba" built everything just fine with no changes whatsoever.

I checked the SELinux policy in SL-60, and all the inn stuff seems
to be there, so no problem there either.

Tracking updates would of course be up to you if you go that way.

Do NOT delete it.