Old 04-26-2011, 04:47 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

Default cups drivers for printing pdf and tif

List,

I updated a gateway/router computer with Centos 5.6 and lost the ability
to print pdf and tif files with the command "lp -d printer img.tif"

This new unit replaced a Fedora 5 system that had been working well, and
is still able to print pdf and tif files withing the same network.

I have other Centos 5.6 gateway's at different facilities that print the
pdf and tif files without a problem. All of these 5.6 systems have been
updated without a problem.

hpijs-1.6.7-6.el5_6.1.x86_64 has already been installed.

I am at a loss in trying to see the difference between my 5.6 machines
and would appreciate some advice as to where to look.

Thanks much for your help.

Greg Ennis

Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> List,
>
> I updated a gateway/router computer with Centos 5.6 and lost the ability
> to print pdf and tif files with the command "lp -d printer img.tif"
>
> This new unit replaced a Fedora 5 system that had been working well, and
> is still able to print pdf and tif files withing the same network.
>
> I have other Centos 5.6 gateway's at different facilities that print the
> pdf and tif files without a problem. All of these 5.6 systems have been
> updated without a problem.
>
> hpijs-1.6.7-6.el5_6.1.x86_64 has already been installed.
>
> I am at a loss in trying to see the difference between my 5.6 machines
> and would appreciate some advice as to where to look.
>
> Thanks much for your help.
>
> Greg Ennis

Have you checked if you are able to print regular text? It's a first
step in troubleshooting. And what is the commands output when you try to
print pdf/tiff?

Ljubomir

Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> List,
>
> I updated a gateway/router computer with Centos 5.6 and lost the ability
> to print pdf and tif files with the command "lp -d printer img.tif"
>
> This new unit replaced a Fedora 5 system that had been working well, and
> is still able to print pdf and tif files withing the same network.
>
> I have other Centos 5.6 gateway's at different facilities that print the
> pdf and tif files without a problem. All of these 5.6 systems have been
> updated without a problem.
>
> hpijs-1.6.7-6.el5_6.1.x86_64 has already been installed.
>
> I am at a loss in trying to see the difference between my 5.6 machines
> and would appreciate some advice as to where to look.
>
> Thanks much for your help.
>
> Greg Ennis

Have you checked if you are able to print regular text? It's a first
step in troubleshooting. And what is the commands output when you try to
print pdf/tiff?

Ljubomir

Ljubomir,

Regular ASCII text prints fine, as well as any pcl file. I can print
pdf and tiff files from a different computer on the affected printer,
but when a pdf or tiff file goes through the print server on the gateway
the print stream ends up printing graphic characters on several pages
instead of the image in the file.

The output of lp -d lpt3 ./img.tif is normal
"request id is lpt3-842 (1 file(s))"

I thought this might be a libtiff problem, but I have the same file on
our other machines (libtiff-3.8.2),

libtiff-3.8.2-7.el5_6.7.x86_64 already installed and latest version
libtiff-3.8.2-7.el5_6.7.i386 already installed and latest version

Thank you for your help, I am stumped on this one so far.

Greg

Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> List,
>>
>> I updated a gateway/router computer with Centos 5.6 and lost the ability
>> to print pdf and tif files with the command "lp -d printer img.tif"
>>
>> This new unit replaced a Fedora 5 system that had been working well, and
>> is still able to print pdf and tif files withing the same network.
>>
>> I have other Centos 5.6 gateway's at different facilities that print the
>> pdf and tif files without a problem. All of these 5.6 systems have been
>> updated without a problem.
>>
>> hpijs-1.6.7-6.el5_6.1.x86_64 has already been installed.
>>
>> I am at a loss in trying to see the difference between my 5.6 machines
>> and would appreciate some advice as to where to look.
>>
>> Thanks much for your help.
>>
>> Greg Ennis
>>

> Have you checked if you are able to print regular text? It's a first
> step in troubleshooting. And what is the commands output when you try to
> print pdf/tiff?
>
> Ljubomir

> Ljubomir,
>
> Regular ASCII text prints fine, as well as any pcl file. I can print
> pdf and tiff files from a different computer on the affected printer,
> but when a pdf or tiff file goes through the print server on the gateway
> the print stream ends up printing graphic characters on several pages
> instead of the image in the file.
>
> The output of lp -d lpt3 ./img.tif is normal
> "request id is lpt3-842 (1 file(s))"
>
> I thought this might be a libtiff problem, but I have the same file on
> our other machines (libtiff-3.8.2),
>
> libtiff-3.8.2-7.el5_6.7.x86_64 already installed and latest version
> libtiff-3.8.2-7.el5_6.7.i386 already installed and latest version
>
> Thank you for your help, I am stumped on this one so far.
>
> Greg

You should run "yum list installed > <text-file-name>" on both working
and non-working system and compare (diff?) those lists.

Ljubomir

Old 04-27-2011, 02:01 AM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> List,
>>
>> I updated a gateway/router computer with Centos 5.6 and lost the ability
>> to print pdf and tif files with the command "lp -d printer img.tif"
>>
>> This new unit replaced a Fedora 5 system that had been working well, and
>> is still able to print pdf and tif files withing the same network.
>>
>> I have other Centos 5.6 gateway's at different facilities that print the
>> pdf and tif files without a problem. All of these 5.6 systems have been
>> updated without a problem.
>>
>> hpijs-1.6.7-6.el5_6.1.x86_64 has already been installed.
>>
>> I am at a loss in trying to see the difference between my 5.6 machines
>> and would appreciate some advice as to where to look.
>>
>> Thanks much for your help.
>>
>> Greg Ennis
>>

> Have you checked if you are able to print regular text? It's a first
> step in troubleshooting. And what is the commands output when you try to
> print pdf/tiff?
>
> Ljubomir

> Ljubomir,
>
> Regular ASCII text prints fine, as well as any pcl file. I can print
> pdf and tiff files from a different computer on the affected printer,
> but when a pdf or tiff file goes through the print server on the gateway
> the print stream ends up printing graphic characters on several pages
> instead of the image in the file.
>
> The output of lp -d lpt3 ./img.tif is normal
> "request id is lpt3-842 (1 file(s))"
>
> I thought this might be a libtiff problem, but I have the same file on
> our other machines (libtiff-3.8.2),
>
> libtiff-3.8.2-7.el5_6.7.x86_64 already installed and latest version
> libtiff-3.8.2-7.el5_6.7.i386 already installed and latest version
>
> Thank you for your help, I am stumped on this one so far.
>
> Greg

You should run "yum list installed > <text-file-name>" on both working
and non-working system and compare (diff?) those lists.

Ljubomir

The only difference I can see between the two servers is that the one
that does not work is x64 and the one that works is i386. I am about
ready to use the old Fedora system as the cups server instead the Centos
5.6 that was just put together. Thanks much for your help!!!!

Greg

Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>>> List,
>>>
>>> I updated a gateway/router computer with Centos 5.6 and lost the ability
>>> to print pdf and tif files with the command "lp -d printer img.tif"
>>>
>>> This new unit replaced a Fedora 5 system that had been working well, and
>>> is still able to print pdf and tif files withing the same network.
>>>
>>> I have other Centos 5.6 gateway's at different facilities that print the
>>> pdf and tif files without a problem. All of these 5.6 systems have been
>>> updated without a problem.
>>>
>>> hpijs-1.6.7-6.el5_6.1.x86_64 has already been installed.
>>>
>>> I am at a loss in trying to see the difference between my 5.6 machines
>>> and would appreciate some advice as to where to look.
>>>
>>> Thanks much for your help.
>>>
>>> Greg Ennis
>>>
>> Have you checked if you are able to print regular text? It's a first
>> step in troubleshooting. And what is the commands output when you try to
>> print pdf/tiff?
>>
>> Ljubomir

>> Ljubomir,
>>
>> Regular ASCII text prints fine, as well as any pcl file. I can print
>> pdf and tiff files from a different computer on the affected printer,
>> but when a pdf or tiff file goes through the print server on the gateway
>> the print stream ends up printing graphic characters on several pages
>> instead of the image in the file.
>>
>> The output of lp -d lpt3 ./img.tif is normal
>> "request id is lpt3-842 (1 file(s))"
>>
>> I thought this might be a libtiff problem, but I have the same file on
>> our other machines (libtiff-3.8.2),
>>
>> libtiff-3.8.2-7.el5_6.7.x86_64 already installed and latest version
>> libtiff-3.8.2-7.el5_6.7.i386 already installed and latest version
>>
>> Thank you for your help, I am stumped on this one so far.
>>
>> Greg
>>

> You should run "yum list installed > <text-file-name>" on both working
> and non-working system and compare (diff?) those lists.
>
> Ljubomir
>
> The only difference I can see between the two servers is that the one
> that does not work is x64 and the one that works is i386. I am about
> ready to use the old Fedora system as the cups server instead the Centos
> 5.6 that was just put together. Thanks much for your help!!!!
>
> Greg

OK. But I was wondering if installing CentOS 5.6 i386 would help, and if
it would work for you.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:49 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

>>> List,
>>>
>>> I updated a gateway/router computer with Centos 5.6 and lost the ability
>>> to print pdf and tif files with the command "lp -d printer img.tif"
>>>
>>> This new unit replaced a Fedora 5 system that had been working well, and
>>> is still able to print pdf and tif files withing the same network.
>>>
>>> I have other Centos 5.6 gateway's at different facilities that print the
>>> pdf and tif files without a problem. All of these 5.6 systems have been
>>> updated without a problem.
>>>
>>> hpijs-1.6.7-6.el5_6.1.x86_64 has already been installed.
>>>
>>> I am at a loss in trying to see the difference between my 5.6 machines
>>> and would appreciate some advice as to where to look.
>>>
>>> Thanks much for your help.
>>>
>>> Greg Ennis
>>>
>> Have you checked if you are able to print regular text? It's a first
>> step in troubleshooting. And what is the commands output when you try to
>> print pdf/tiff?
>>
>> Ljubomir

>> Ljubomir,
>>
>> Regular ASCII text prints fine, as well as any pcl file. I can print
>> pdf and tiff files from a different computer on the affected printer,
>> but when a pdf or tiff file goes through the print server on the gateway
>> the print stream ends up printing graphic characters on several pages
>> instead of the image in the file.
>>
>> The output of lp -d lpt3 ./img.tif is normal
>> "request id is lpt3-842 (1 file(s))"
>>
>> I thought this might be a libtiff problem, but I have the same file on
>> our other machines (libtiff-3.8.2),
>>
>> libtiff-3.8.2-7.el5_6.7.x86_64 already installed and latest version
>> libtiff-3.8.2-7.el5_6.7.i386 already installed and latest version
>>
>> Thank you for your help, I am stumped on this one so far.
>>
>> Greg
>>

> You should run "yum list installed > <text-file-name>" on both working
> and non-working system and compare (diff?) those lists.
>
> Ljubomir
>
> The only difference I can see between the two servers is that the one
> that does not work is x64 and the one that works is i386. I am about
> ready to use the old Fedora system as the cups server instead the Centos
> 5.6 that was just put together. Thanks much for your help!!!!
>
> Greg

OK. But I was wondering if installing CentOS 5.6 i386 would help, and if
it would work for you.

Lijubomir,

That is interesting, I would not have thought that changing to i386
would have solved the problem, but it might be worth the try. I will
have to create some time to redo that machine. Thanks for your
suggestion!!

Greg

Old 04-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

>> You should run "yum list installed> <text-file-name>" on both working
>> and non-working system and compare (diff?) those lists.
>>
>> Ljubomir
>>
>> The only difference I can see between the two servers is that the one
>> that does not work is x64 and the one that works is i386. I am about
>> ready to use the old Fedora system as the cups server instead the Centos
>> 5.6 that was just put together. Thanks much for your help!!!!
>>
>> Greg
>>

> OK. But I was wondering if installing CentOS 5.6 i386 would help, and if
> it would work for you.
>
> Lijubomir,
>
> That is interesting, I would not have thought that changing to i386
> would have solved the problem, but it might be worth the try. I will
> have to create some time to redo that machine. Thanks for your
> suggestion!!

I doubt it's an i386 vs x86_64 issue. Printing pdf documunts from the
command line through cups works fine here on an x86_64 C5 system.

Have you looked at the logs in /var/log/cups/ ?
You could increase the log level to debug in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf if
nothing is obvious in your current logs.

For reference, with the default "info" loglevel, when printing a pdf
file I get this in /var/log/cups/error_log :

I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:20 +0200] [Job 827] Adding start banner page "none".
I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:20 +0200] [Job 827] Adding job file of type
application/pdf.
I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:20 +0200] [Job 827] Adding end banner page "none".
I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:20 +0200] [Job 827] Queued on "delice" by "nthierry".
I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:20 +0200] [Job 827] Started filter
/usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops (PID 15344)
I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:20 +0200] [Job 827] Started backend
/usr/lib/cups/backend/socket (PID 15345)
I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:34 +0200] [Job 827] Completed successfully.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:35 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

>> You should run "yum list installed> <text-file-name>" on both working
>> and non-working system and compare (diff?) those lists.
>>
>> Ljubomir
>>
>> The only difference I can see between the two servers is that the one
>> that does not work is x64 and the one that works is i386. I am about
>> ready to use the old Fedora system as the cups server instead the Centos
>> 5.6 that was just put together. Thanks much for your help!!!!
>>
>> Greg
>>

> OK. But I was wondering if installing CentOS 5.6 i386 would help, and if
> it would work for you.
>
> Lijubomir,
>
> That is interesting, I would not have thought that changing to i386
> would have solved the problem, but it might be worth the try. I will
> have to create some time to redo that machine. Thanks for your
> suggestion!!

I doubt it's an i386 vs x86_64 issue. Printing pdf documunts from the
command line through cups works fine here on an x86_64 C5 system.

Have you looked at the logs in /var/log/cups/ ?
You could increase the log level to debug in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf if
nothing is obvious in your current logs.

For reference, with the default "info" loglevel, when printing a pdf
file I get this in /var/log/cups/error_log :

I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:20 +0200] [Job 827] Adding start banner page "none".
I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:20 +0200] [Job 827] Adding job file of type
application/pdf.
I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:20 +0200] [Job 827] Adding end banner page "none".
I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:20 +0200] [Job 827] Queued on "delice" by "nthierry".
I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:20 +0200] [Job 827] Started filter
/usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops (PID 15344)
I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:20 +0200] [Job 827] Started backend
/usr/lib/cups/backend/socket (PID 15345)
I [27/Apr/2011:16:11:34 +0200] [Job 827] Completed successfully.

Nicolas,

That was very helpful.

The problem was caused by me, I failed to copy over the ppd files of the
printer to the new system. The error log files did not report errors
related to not finding the /etc/cups/ppd/printer.ppd file for the
printer, but did remind me of the file's need to be present. When I
checked it was not present, but was an easy fix.

Thank you very much!!!!

Greg