-   -   Setting up a GUI remote access (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/518689-setting-up-gui-remote-access.html)

Todd Cary 04-26-2011 04:25 PM

Setting up a GUI remote access

Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop with Samba
providing access to my Linux server. Since Linux is more
reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my Linux
(Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or some
similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if it is
not locked up :-) ) with Samba.

What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
Linux server?

Todd

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com

Akemi Yagi 04-26-2011 04:31 PM

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com> wrote:
> Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop with Samba
> providing access to my Linux server. *Since Linux is more
> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my Linux
> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or some
> similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if it is
> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
>
> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
> Linux server?

See:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX

and

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server

Akemi

Monty Shinn 04-26-2011 04:34 PM

On 04/26/2011 11:25 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
> Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop with Samba
> providing access to my Linux server. Since Linux is more
> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my Linux
> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or some
> similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if it is
> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
>
> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
> Linux server?
>
> Todd

Todd,

I have been using noamchine for a while now and has worked flawlessly.
They have free versions of their server as well as clients for linux,
macosx, and windows.

http://www.nomachine.com/products.php

Hope this helps.

Monty

Les Mikesell 04-26-2011 04:45 PM

On 4/26/2011 11:25 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
> Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop with Samba
> providing access to my Linux server. Since Linux is more
> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my Linux
> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or some
> similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if it is
> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
>
> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
> Linux server?

If you just want file access (all you'll get with samba), winscp might
work. For a full GUI desktop, the nicest way is to install freenx from
the Centos extras or EPEL repositories and run the NX client that you
can download from www.nomachine.com. Note that freenx generates a
unique keypair for each install, so you need to paste the contents of
the server /etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key file into the client
configure/key dialog to allow the connection.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Todd Cary 04-26-2011 04:54 PM

On 4/26/2011 9:25 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
> Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop with Samba
> providing access to my Linux server. Since Linux is more
> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my Linux
> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or some
> similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if it is
> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
>
> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
> Linux server?
>
> Todd

Thanks all. I'll give nomachine a try.

Todd

Dave Stevens 04-26-2011 04:57 PM

Quoting Monty Shinn <montys@videopost.com>:

> On 04/26/2011 11:25 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
>> Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop with Samba
>> providing access to my Linux server. Since Linux is more
>> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my Linux
>> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or some
>> similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if it is
>> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
>>
>> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
>> Linux server?

It depends on what you do on the server, but for monitoring I use
Virtualmin, both GPL and paid versions on different machines and find
it very useful.

Dave

>> Todd
>>

> Todd,
>
> I have been using noamchine for a while now and has worked flawlessly.
> They have free versions of their server as well as clients for linux,
> macosx, and windows.
>
> http://www.nomachine.com/products.php
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Monty

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
Krishnamurti

John R Pierce 04-26-2011 05:05 PM

On 04/26/11 9:25 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
> Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop with Samba
> providing access to my Linux server. Since Linux is more
> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my Linux
> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or some
> similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if it is
> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
>
> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
> Linux server?

for connecting to a windows host from a linux host, you want rdesktop.
for connecting from a remote windows host (your laptop) through a linux
firewall to a protected windows host (your desktop), I would use ssh w/
port forwarding such that you forward localhost:3390 (on the laptop) to
windesk:3389 via an SSH connection to the linux host in the middle.
For example, using a command line SSH util on your laptop, and assuming
your desktop is 192.168.0.10 on the LAN behind the lunix box at
123.123.123.123

ssh -L 3390:192.168.0.10:3389 unixuser@123.123.123.123

you would then use the Windows RDP client, aka mstsc.exe, on the Laptop,
and connect to localhost:3390 to manage the remote windows desktop over
this ssh tunnel.

you can do much the same with PuTTY or SecureCRT via the GUI connection
setup dialogs on the windows laptop.

If you want to view the Linux desktop, thats a different problem, best
addressed by FreeNX or similar.

Lamar Owen 04-26-2011 05:12 PM

On Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:25:38 PM Todd Cary wrote:
> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
> Linux server?

You've received some good info; let me add to your list the xrdp server app, which allows use of the built-in Windows remote desktop client to log in to the Linux server. A slightly older version is available in RPMforge for C5, and for the upcoming C6 it should be in EPEL or RPMforge (it's in the main Fedora repository).

"Brunner, Brian T." 04-26-2011 06:08 PM

centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> On 4/26/2011 11:25 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
>> I would like to be able to access my Linux
>> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook
>>
>> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
>> Linux server?
>
> If you just want file access (all you'll get with samba),
> winscp might work.

+1 winscp
Samba not required.
PuTTY included.
SSH secured.
All day every day, here.

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.

//me

Richard Mollel 04-26-2011 07:45 PM

Setting up a GUI remote access

> providing access to my Linux server.* Since Linux is
> more
> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my
> Linux
> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or
> some
> similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if
> it is
> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
>
> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on
> the
> Linux server?
>
> Todd
>
> --
> Ariste Software
> Petaluma, CA 94952
>
> http://www.aristesoftware.com

I would say install Xming. ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/)
Once this is installed on windows, setup ssh session, with a command to run on server side (i.e. linux box) as either /usr/bin/gnome-session or /usr/bin/startkde (depending on your favorite dwm). Using single screen mode configuration, you get your remote gnome desktop on your windows side. No software to install on linux.

Alternatively, if you want to work on Linux, and have a windows feel, use rdesktop from linux->windows::

"rdesktop -f -a 16 host.domain.com"

To toggle out of full screen mode, use "Ctrl-Alt-Enter"

BEST of ALL, you can forward your local disk to remote (window) machine, such that if you saved files locally, you can access them on windows, without a need to samba (reverse samba, sort of).
To forward:

"rdesktop -f -a 16 -r 'disk:linux=/home/Username' host.domain.com" and your local homedir (in this case) will be mounted on windows as a removable storage.