Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Bowie Bailey

Default Setting up a GUI remote access

On 4/26/2011 3:45 PM, Richard Mollel wrote:

> --- On Tue, 4/26/11, Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on
>> the
>> Linux server?
> I would say install Xming. ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/)
> Once this is installed on windows, setup ssh session, with a command to run on server side (i.e. linux box) as either /usr/bin/gnome-session or /usr/bin/startkde (depending on your favorite dwm). Using single screen mode configuration, you get your remote gnome desktop on your windows side. No software to install on linux.

I have used Xming and it works fine on a LAN. It is painful over the
Internet. The problem is that it just turns your Windows box into an X
server and then streams all of the X traffic across the network.

NX performs MUCH better. On the LAN, you can't tell you are not on the
local server, and over the Internet, the lag is barely noticeable most
of the time.

--
Bowie

Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 4/26/2011 3:45 PM, Richard Mollel wrote:
>> --- On Tue, 4/26/11, Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on
>>> the
>>> Linux server?
>> I would say install Xming. ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/)
>> Once this is installed on windows, setup ssh session, with a command to run on server side (i.e. linux box) as either /usr/bin/gnome-session or /usr/bin/startkde (depending on your favorite dwm). Using single screen mode configuration, you get your remote gnome desktop on your windows side. No software to install on linux.
>
> I have used Xming and it works fine on a LAN. It is painful over the
> Internet. The problem is that it just turns your Windows box into an X
> server and then streams all of the X traffic across the network.
>
> NX performs MUCH better. On the LAN, you can't tell you are not on the
> local server, and over the Internet, the lag is barely noticeable most
> of the time.

Nomachine is the best solution. You are connected via SSH tunnel so you
are protected. Also, you do not have to be logged on to Gnome/KDE to use it.
And there is more. There is option to setup Java based NX server so you
can access your GUI from web browser.

Ljubomir

Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Tom Grace

On 26/04/11 22:19, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Bowie Bailey wrote:
> Nomachine is the best solution. You are connected via SSH tunnel so you
> are protected. Also, you do not have to be logged on to Gnome/KDE to use it.
> And there is more. There is option to setup Java based NX server so you
> can access your GUI from web browser.
Something to bear in mind if using NoMachine NX is the restrictions on
number of users permitted to connect. Last time I played with it, the
limit was two users ever rather than two connected users.

It's a load easier to set up than FreeNX though.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/27/11 5:52 AM, Tom Grace wrote:

>> Nomachine is the best solution. You are connected via SSH tunnel so you
>> are protected. Also, you do not have to be logged on to Gnome/KDE to use it.
>> And there is more. There is option to setup Java based NX server so you
>> can access your GUI from web browser.
> Something to bear in mind if using NoMachine NX is the restrictions on
> number of users permitted to connect. Last time I played with it, the
> limit was two users ever rather than two connected users.
>
> It's a load easier to set up than FreeNX though.

Errr, 'yum install freenx' is pretty easy (from centos extras or epel). Then if
you have the default ssh setup, the only extra work is copying the client key
from the server.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Todd Cary

On 4/26/2011 9:25 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
> Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop with Samba
> providing access to my Linux server. Since Linux is more
> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my Linux
> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or some
> similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if it is
> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
>
> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
> Linux server?
>
> Todd

WOW! A few choices. in checking the ssh configuration file, I
am setup using password authentication - not the best choice. If
I change that to NO, is it easy to change my ssh client? One
client I use is SSH Tectia. Of course, this will require a
change in FreeNX.

FreeNX will be my first install. After that I may try some of
the other suggested methods.

Many thanks to all...

Todd

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com

Old 04-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com> wrote:

> WOW! *A few choices. *in checking the ssh configuration file, I
> am setup using password authentication - not the best choice. *If
> I change that to NO, is it easy to change my ssh client? *One
> client I use is SSH Tectia. *Of course, this will require a
> change in FreeNX.
>
> FreeNX will be my first install. *After that I may try some of
> the other suggested methods.

Then you may want to read through the CentOS wiki:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX

If you decide to leave password authentication enabled, you can skip
the entire section "2. Key-based authentication". If you go for the
key-based authentication, then follow the instructions to the letter
and you should be up and running soon.

Akemi

Old 04-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Todd Cary

On 4/27/2011 10:51 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Todd Cary<todd@aristesoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> WOW! A few choices. in checking the ssh configuration file, I
>> am setup using password authentication - not the best choice. If
>> I change that to NO, is it easy to change my ssh client? One
>> client I use is SSH Tectia. Of course, this will require a
>> change in FreeNX.
>>
>> FreeNX will be my first install. After that I may try some of
>> the other suggested methods.
> Then you may want to read through the CentOS wiki:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX
>
> If you decide to leave password authentication enabled, you can skip
> the entire section "2. Key-based authentication". If you go for the
> key-based authentication, then follow the instructions to the letter
> and you should be up and running soon.
>
> Akemi

That is the info that prompted the question which is "can I still
use putty and SSH Tectia...can those be configured to use Key
based authentication?". I'm trying to dig up some docs on those.

Todd

Old 04-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/27/2011 12:43 PM, Todd Cary wrote:
> On 4/26/2011 9:25 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
>> Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop with Samba
>> providing access to my Linux server. Since Linux is more
>> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my Linux
>> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or some
>> similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if it is
>> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
>>
>> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
>> Linux server?
>>
>> Todd
>>
> WOW! A few choices. in checking the ssh configuration file, I
> am setup using password authentication - not the best choice. If
> I change that to NO, is it easy to change my ssh client? One
> client I use is SSH Tectia.

Clients normally try key-based authentication first if they have the
private side of the identity key.

> Of course, this will require a
> change in FreeNX.

The NX client uses passwordless key authentication to connect as the nx
user first, then uses that encrypted channel to do password-based
authentication as the actual user. So you at least have to permit
passwords over the loopback (127.0.0.x) interface.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Bob Hepple

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:25:38 -0700
Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com> wrote:

> Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop with Samba
> providing access to my Linux server. Since Linux is more
> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my Linux
> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or some
> similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if it is
> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
>
> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
> Linux server?

The big win for me with NX is that copy and paste between local and
remote server works like a charm. I was never able to get *VNC* copy
and paste to work at all (or maybe I did once - mists of time, it
doesn't work now). That trumps it for me. Mind you - I never tried
freenx.

g'luck

Bob

--
Bob Hepple <bhepple@promptu.com>
ph: 07-5584-5908 Fx: 07-5575-9550

Old 04-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Richard Mollel

> >> Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop
> with Samba
> >> providing access to my Linux server.* Since
> Linux is more
> >> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to
> access my Linux
> >> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully
> via VNC or some
> >> similar application and then access the Windows
> desktop (if it is
> >> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
> >>
> >> What is the best VNC like application to install
> or use on the
> >> Linux server?
> >>
> >> Todd
> >>
> > WOW!* A few choices.* in checking the ssh
> configuration file, I
> > am setup using password authentication - not the best
> choice.* If
> > I change that to NO, is it easy to change my ssh
> client?* One
> > client I use is SSH Tectia.
>
> Clients normally try key-based authentication first if they
> have the
> private side of the identity key.
>
> > Of course, this will require a
> > change in FreeNX.
>
> The NX client uses passwordless key authentication to
> connect as the nx
> user first, then uses that encrypted channel to do
> password-based
> authentication as the actual user.* So you at least
> have to permit
> passwords over the loopback (127.0.0.x) interface.
>
> --
> ***Les Mikesell
> * * lesmikesell@gmail.com

I just tried FreeNX on server (centos), and NX Client from Nomachine. Setup was not bad, though too many sources of info. Settled on centos wiki doc to get me going.
However, once I got logged in (using gnome), there are some very normal applications that I am unable to launch, and they work flawlessly with Xming (or the commercial Xwin32). For example, I am unable to launch a gui for our backup program, netvault, gui is "nvgui". It simply flashes, and dies out. That was on day one.
I suspended the session, and tried to re-attach this morning. It worked, great. However, it seems to have a big issue with backing store. I have killed all sessions, reconnected, same issue. If I "shake" a window, it leaves its traces all over, and there is nothing I can do about it but kill the session again and retry. Any ideas?