Old 04-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

Default Cacti rpm for el5.6 with php53

Hello,

Does someone know if there's a cacti rpm available
that works (=installs and doesn't conflict) when "php53" rpm
is installed, instead of the older "php" rpm ?

cacti rpms from rpmforge/dag have these requirements:
php
php-mysql
php-snmp

So those cacti versions conflict with "php53".
I checked cacti-0.8.7g-2.el5.rf

-- Pasi

Old 04-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Kai Schaetzl

I think this would be a good question for rpmforge-users list. e.g. ask if
they can change the requirements in such a way that these rpms fit.

Kai

Old 04-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does someone know if there's a cacti rpm available
> that works (=installs and doesn't conflict) when "php53" rpm
> is installed, instead of the older "php" rpm ?
>
> cacti rpms from rpmforge/dag have these requirements:
> php
> php-mysql
> php-snmp
>
> So those cacti versions conflict with "php53".
> I checked cacti-0.8.7g-2.el5.rf
>
> -- Pasi

You can download source rpm, change spec file (from php to php53),
change package name to something like "cacti53" and compile it your
self. And then send a spec to RPMForge mailing list so they can add it
to their repo.

Ljubomir

Old 04-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 04:34:53PM +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does someone know if there's a cacti rpm available
> > that works (=installs and doesn't conflict) when "php53" rpm
> > is installed, instead of the older "php" rpm ?
> >
> > cacti rpms from rpmforge/dag have these requirements:
> > php
> > php-mysql
> > php-snmp
> >
> > So those cacti versions conflict with "php53".
> > I checked cacti-0.8.7g-2.el5.rf
> >
> > -- Pasi
>
> You can download source rpm, change spec file (from php to php53),
> change package name to something like "cacti53" and compile it your
> self. And then send a spec to RPMForge mailing list so they can add it
> to their repo.

Hey,

Yep, I know I can create my own version of cacti,
but I was trying to avoid exactly that

Thanks for the heads up about rpmforge mailing list,
I wasn't aware of it.

-- Pasi

Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM
"Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane"

Not being a PHP developer, I was under the impression that many/most of these packages were interpreted scripts which probably would work fine under php53 vs. the php installed by default.
I have been wondering from afar about this thread and the discussions over in the EPEL list, if someone could create a meta rpm that required php53 and provided php (and similar for php-mysql & php-snmp) and have the system continue to work. This is of course under the assumptions of:
a. the packages are interpreted scripts
b. the syntax has only added, and not changed or removed functionality since the stock php.

Is this a not_bright idea in the php package world?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 01:09:36PM -0400, Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane wrote:
> [...]

That should work, yes.
"php53-php" perhaps..

-- Pasi

Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Johnny Hughes

On 04/27/2011 03:00 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 01:09:36PM -0400, Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane wrote:

I thought about this, but I think that any packages that provide files
to /etc/php.d/ would then be able to be installed on php53 as is, and
these would fail to work.

So, while this work around would work perfectly for packages that are
nothing more than "php applications/scripts (that is actual .php
files)", it would not work for things that are compiled against the php
libraries or that provide php or pecl modules, etc.

Therefore, I think the best solution is for the php applications to get
compiled against php53 (and for the php53 ones to be separate).

Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 AM
John Doe

From: "Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane" <todd.denniston@navy.mil>

> Not being a PHP developer, I was under the impression that many/most of these
>packages were interpreted scripts which probably would work fine under php53
>vs. the php installed by default.
> I have been wondering from afar about this thread and the discussions over in
>the EPEL list, if someone could create a meta rpm that required php53 and
>provided php (and similar for php-mysql & php-snmp) and have the system
>continue to work. This is of course under the assumptions of:
> a. the packages are interpreted scripts
> b. the syntax has only added, and not changed or removed functionality since
>the stock php.
>
> Is this a not_bright idea in the php package world?

Almost... some languages' instructions almost never change, others do a bit
more...
By example, see: http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration53.incompatible.php

JD