-   -   CentOS 5.6 x86_64 hosting unreachable Virtualbox 4.0.6 bridged guests (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/518541-centos-5-6-x86_64-hosting-unreachable-virtualbox-4-0-6-bridged-guests.html)

Philippe 04-26-2011 08:28 AM

CentOS 5.6 x86_64 hosting unreachable Virtualbox 4.0.6 bridged guests

Hi,

On a box running CentOS 5.6 x86_64 and Virtualbox 4.0.6, I have
configured 2 guests (WinXP x86 + CentOS 5.6 x86_64) in bridged mode.
The hosting box and the two guests are dhcp enabled. The hosting box
get its address normally, but the 2 hosted systems fail to get theirs.
The dhcp server log tells : DHCPDISCOVER from 08:00:xx:xx:xx:xx via
em0: network xx.xx/16: no free leases.
When changing from dhcp to static ip in the CentOS guest, 'service
network restart' does not report any errors, but the guest keeps
unreachable from the outside : pinging the guest works some times, but
trying to reach the guest with ssh, http, or ftp always fail, with or
whitout iptables enabled on the host and/or the guests.

Please note that:
- Kernel and softwares on the hosting CentOS are up-to-date, the box
has an Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)
NIC, does not have an Intel VT compliant CPU (Pentium E5700), but
VT/AMD-V enabled in bios.
- The host is not configured in bridged mode (does not have a br
interface configured), Oracle telling that bridged mode on the host is
not required to run Virtualbox guests in bridged mode.
- The 2 guests work perfectly in NAT mode, but this mode is not an
option for me.
- The same 2 guests work perfectly in bridged mode on another same
hosting box running Fedora 14.

Is anyone experimenting the same difficulties with Virtualbox on CentOS
5.6 ? I don't know where to search to solve this problem.
Thanks for your help !

--
Philippe

Johnny Hughes 04-26-2011 09:26 AM

On 04/26/2011 03:28 AM, Philippe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On a box running CentOS 5.6 x86_64 and Virtualbox 4.0.6, I have
> configured 2 guests (WinXP x86 + CentOS 5.6 x86_64) in bridged mode.
> The hosting box and the two guests are dhcp enabled. The hosting box
> get its address normally, but the 2 hosted systems fail to get theirs.
> The dhcp server log tells : DHCPDISCOVER from 08:00:xx:xx:xx:xx via
> em0: network xx.xx/16: no free leases.
> When changing from dhcp to static ip in the CentOS guest, 'service
> network restart' does not report any errors, but the guest keeps
> unreachable from the outside : pinging the guest works some times, but
> trying to reach the guest with ssh, http, or ftp always fail, with or
> whitout iptables enabled on the host and/or the guests.
>
> Please note that:
> - Kernel and softwares on the hosting CentOS are up-to-date, the box
> has an Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)
> NIC, does not have an Intel VT compliant CPU (Pentium E5700), but
> VT/AMD-V enabled in bios.
> - The host is not configured in bridged mode (does not have a br
> interface configured), Oracle telling that bridged mode on the host is
> not required to run Virtualbox guests in bridged mode.
> - The 2 guests work perfectly in NAT mode, but this mode is not an
> option for me.
> - The same 2 guests work perfectly in bridged mode on another same
> hosting box running Fedora 14.
>
> Is anyone experimenting the same difficulties with Virtualbox on CentOS
> 5.6 ? I don't know where to search to solve this problem.
> Thanks for your help !

Some things to check:

1. Make sure the user that is running the VMs is in the vboxusers group.

2. What is the status of SELinux on the host CentOS and the Guest
CentOS. For troubleshooting purposes I would turn SELinux off on both
hosts .. if nothing changes, turn them back on.

Although, if they work correctly in NAT mode, then those are likely OK.

Rob Kampen 04-26-2011 01:15 PM

Philippe wrote:

[...]

I am running Virtualbox 3.1.2 in bridged mode with WinXP guest OS but
use a fixed IP address as its in my home network, hardwired, and I want
my DNS to be complete with forward and reverse lookups for my CentOS
workstation host as well as my WinXP guest. I only use DHCP for my
wireless clients (hard allocate IP and hostname based upon ethernet
address) and true guests to my network. The bridged method works fine -
no bridge on host just normal ethernet - bridged on Virtualbox. As it
works I have not moved up to version 4 as yet - probably will when
CentOS 6 gets released and I build a new workstation. There are just a
few pesky apps that insist on using windows / IE and have no viable open
source alternatives that keep me using a WinXP guest.

Devin Reade 04-26-2011 02:58 PM

CentOS 5.6 x86_64 hosting unreachable Virtualbox 4.0.6 bridged guests

--On Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:28:40 AM +0200 Philippe <lists@lrnx.ath.cx>
wrote:

> The hosting box
> get its address normally, but the 2 hosted systems fail to get theirs.
> The dhcp server log tells : DHCPDISCOVER from 08:00:xx:xx:xx:xx via
> em0: network xx.xx/16: no free leases.

Based on that message, I would suspect that probably either:
- the DHCP server is not seeing distinct MAC addresses from your VMs
vs your host, or
- you have actually exhausted your DHCP address pool.

I'd look at those two first, based on what you see in your dhcp server
log. You may have to get your dhcp server to tell you what leases
are currently in use.

Devin

Philippe Lauget 04-26-2011 03:24 PM

Le 26/04/2011 16:58, Devin Reade a écrit :
> --On Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:28:40 AM +0200 Philippe <lists@lrnx.ath.cx>
> wrote:
>
>> The hosting box
>> get its address normally, but the 2 hosted systems fail to get theirs.
>> The dhcp server log tells : DHCPDISCOVER from 08:00:xx:xx:xx:xx via
>> em0: network xx.xx/16: no free leases.
>
> Based on that message, I would suspect that probably either:
> - the DHCP server is not seeing distinct MAC addresses from your VMs
> vs your host, or
> - you have actually exhausted your DHCP address pool.
>
> I'd look at those two first, based on what you see in your dhcp server
> log. You may have to get your dhcp server to tell you what leases
> are currently in use.

The DHCP server does not use address pool but provides static addressing.
Each MAC address (the one from the host, the others from the guests) are
seen distinctly from any other hosts in my lan.

This problem seems to be very similar to the one described in
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7101

Thanks for your help.
--
Philippe

Philippe Lauget 04-26-2011 03:30 PM

Le 26/04/2011 11:26, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
> On 04/26/2011 03:28 AM, Philippe wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On a box running CentOS 5.6 x86_64 and Virtualbox 4.0.6, I have
>> configured 2 guests (WinXP x86 + CentOS 5.6 x86_64) in bridged mode.
>> The hosting box and the two guests are dhcp enabled. The hosting box
>> get its address normally, but the 2 hosted systems fail to get theirs.
>> The dhcp server log tells : DHCPDISCOVER from 08:00:xx:xx:xx:xx via
>> em0: network xx.xx/16: no free leases.
>> When changing from dhcp to static ip in the CentOS guest, 'service
>> network restart' does not report any errors, but the guest keeps
>> unreachable from the outside : pinging the guest works some times, but
>> trying to reach the guest with ssh, http, or ftp always fail, with or
>> whitout iptables enabled on the host and/or the guests.
>>
>> Please note that:
>> - Kernel and softwares on the hosting CentOS are up-to-date, the box
>> has an Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)
>> NIC, does not have an Intel VT compliant CPU (Pentium E5700), but
>> VT/AMD-V enabled in bios.
>> - The host is not configured in bridged mode (does not have a br
>> interface configured), Oracle telling that bridged mode on the host is
>> not required to run Virtualbox guests in bridged mode.
>> - The 2 guests work perfectly in NAT mode, but this mode is not an
>> option for me.
>> - The same 2 guests work perfectly in bridged mode on another same
>> hosting box running Fedora 14.
>>
>> Is anyone experimenting the same difficulties with Virtualbox on CentOS
>> 5.6 ? I don't know where to search to solve this problem.
>> Thanks for your help !
>>

> Some things to check:
>
> 1. Make sure the user that is running the VMs is in the vboxusers group.

Yes, the user running the vms belongs to vboxusers group.

> 2. What is the status of SELinux on the host CentOS and the Guest
> CentOS. For troubleshooting purposes I would turn SELinux off on both
> hosts .. if nothing changes, turn them back on.

SE in strict, permissive, or simply disabled does not change anything.

> Although, if they work correctly in NAT mode, then those are likely OK.

Thanks for your response.
--
Philippe