Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 AM
sync

Default How to merge many LDAP Servers to the One Server

Hi , all :

*I have many LDAP Servers which are 389 LDAP Server* on different network .
So I want to merge them to the one server.

Could someone can give some suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Old 04-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Devin Reade

sync <jiannma@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have many LDAP Servers which are 389 LDAP Server on different network .
> So I want to merge them to the one server.
>
> Could someone can give some suggestions?

Really broad strokes:

This can work if:
- All the servers you're trying to merge are using consistent schema.
If they're not, it's a lost cause.
- The existing servers are serving different parts of
the DIT hierarchy, and that there is no overlap.

First of all, I wouldn't go down to a single server. As a minimum have
one slave, or doing maintenance on your LDAP server will bring down
many network services unnecessarily (as would an unplanned outage).
If you have satellite offices, at least one replica per site (preferably
two) is good.

The easiest way to do it is to prepare your new master, then dump the
ldif from each of your old masters, then load those into the new master.
Make sure you have schema checking turned on. Then configure your
new replicas to use the new master. Then cut over your clients.
Add in suitable testing at all stages.

If you have different administrative requirements for the different part
of the DIT, configure your ACLs before you import the ldif into the
new master.

Detailed explanations available at my standard consulting rates
(Just joking, I don't have the spare cycles right now.)

Devin
--
I got food poisoning today. I don't know when I'll use it.
- Stephen Wright

Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 AM
sync

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Devin Reade <gdr@gno.org> wrote:

sync <jiannma@gmail.com> wrote:

> *I have many LDAP Servers which are 389 LDAP Server *on different network .

> So I want to merge them to the one server.

> Could someone can give some suggestions?

Really broad strokes:

This can work if:

* * - All the servers you're trying to merge are using consistent schema.

* * * If they're not, it's a lost cause.

* * - The existing servers are serving different parts of

* * * the DIT hierarchy, and that there is no overlap.

First, thanks for your reply .

Sorry to tell you ,* the existing servers are servers differernt parts of the* DIT
hierarchy, but there has some account on the differernt ldap servers, but passwd

is not the same .

There is the first problem

First of all, I wouldn't go down to a single server. *As a minimum have

one slave, or doing maintenance on your LDAP server will bring down

many network services unnecessarily (as would an unplanned outage).

If you have satellite offices, at least one replica per site (preferably

two) is good.

Yeah, you are right. I* will merge the all LDAP server data to the new LDAP server
and then setup the* slave server , which can sync the master ldap data