-   -   Still a kvm problem after 5.6 upgrade (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/516788-still-kvm-problem-after-5-6-upgrade.html)

David McGuffey 04-21-2011 11:11 AM

Still a kvm problem after 5.6 upgrade

After the upgrade, my VMs stopped loading. Found others with the problem
and followed the guidance to use virsh to dump the xml file of the VM,
undefine the VM, edit the xml file to change 'raw' to 'qcow2', redefine
the VM from the edited xml, and restart the machine. I still get the
following error when I try to start the VM:

redlibvirtError: internal error Process exited while reading console log
output: qemu: could not open disk image /dev/hda

A libvirt update came in last night, so I was hoping the update would
allow libvirt to automatically recognize the type of image file (as
previous versions did). Nope.

Any other thoughts?

Dave M

Johnny Hughes 04-21-2011 12:19 PM

On 04/21/2011 06:11 AM, David McGuffey wrote:
> After the upgrade, my VMs stopped loading. Found others with the problem
> and followed the guidance to use virsh to dump the xml file of the VM,
> undefine the VM, edit the xml file to change 'raw' to 'qcow2', redefine
> the VM from the edited xml, and restart the machine. I still get the
> following error when I try to start the VM:
>
> redlibvirtError: internal error Process exited while reading console log
> output: qemu: could not open disk image /dev/hda

You should not need to do anything in virsh to dump a file ... there
should be an xml file in /etc/libvirt/qemu/ for every VM already. In
that file, you need to go to the "<disk type='file' device='disk'>"
section and look for a line that says:

<driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none'/>

and change it to

<driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='none'/>

(the cache might be different, but you can leave it alone)

The key is to change the type=raw to type=qcow2

"compdoc" 04-21-2011 12:56 PM

Still a kvm problem after 5.6 upgrade

> I still get the following error when I try to start the VM:

>redlibvirtError: internal error Process exited while reading
>console log output: qemu: could not open disk image /dev/had

Is the disk image a qcow2 type file?

Someone wrote:
> You should not need to do anything in virsh to dump a file ... there
>should be an xml file in /etc/libvirt/qemu/ for every VM already.

There are 2 xml files if the VM is set to run automatically at boot. Using
virsh to dump the file, and the rest of the instructions makes it a cleaner
repair.

Kenni Lund 04-21-2011 04:01 PM

2011/4/21 Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org>:
> On 04/21/2011 06:11 AM, David McGuffey wrote:
>> redlibvirtError: internal error Process exited while reading console log
>> output: qemu: could not open disk image /dev/hda
>
> You should not need to do anything in virsh to dump a file ... there
> should be an xml file in /etc/libvirt/qemu/ for every VM already.

The XML-files in /etc/libvirt/qemu represent libvirt defined VMs, you
should never edit these files directly while the libvirtd service is
running. You should either use 'virsh edit [vm_name]' or alternatively
virsh dump followed by virsh define. If you edit the file directly
while some manager is running (like virt-manager in CentOS), your
changes will most likely conflict with, or get overwritten by,
virt-manager. Nothing critical should happen, but I don't see any
reason for encouraging doing it The Wrong Way(TM).

Best regards
Kenni