Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Les Mikesell

Default Can anyone post a working pppd config?

On 4/19/2011 3:01 PM, johhny_at_poland77 wrote:
> I just need a "temporary" pppoe server, that only uses PAP
>
> ___Can someone post a howto, just in a few lines, what to do?___
>
> If I just do "pppd require-pap" then it gives this error:
>
> pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
> pppd: but I couldn't fin any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
>
> pppd is by default installed. and there are just a few modifications needed to start it with only using PAP auth..
>
> what am I missing?
>
> It's not needed, that the clients actually log in through pppoe, I just need a pppoe server that enforces PAP, so that we could get the passwords of the clients...

Did you see the part in the man page about:
Pppd stores secrets for use in authentication in secrets
files (/etc/ppp/pap-secrets for PAP ..., etc., which is followed by
the expected format?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-19-2011, 09:02 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 03:59:01PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Did you see the part in the man page about:
> Pppd stores secrets for use in authentication in secrets
> files (/etc/ppp/pap-secrets for PAP ..., etc., which is followed by
> the expected format?

Of course he didn't. Had he seen it this would not have been
spammed to multiple mailing lists.

John

--
An age is called Dark not because the light fails to shine, but because
people refuse to see it.

-- James Albert Michener (1907-1997), novelist, Space (1982)

Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Olaf Mueller

compdoc wrote:

>>> I just need a "temporary" pppoe server, that only uses PAP
>>>
>> >___Can someone post a howto, just in a few lines, what to do?[...]
>>You have posted this at least to three groups (centos, fedora,
>>ubuntu). No-one here should waste time in answering your mail
>>extensive.
> Maybe he just needs a quick answer. I never knew there were limits to
> who you can ask or what forums you can visit or the mailing lists you
> can use.
Good to know that this is ok. I will internalize it.

> What are you doing reading all those mailing lists, hmm?
Computer Science. What are the lists about? Think twice.

And what are you doing, answering to my post but not to help the
original poster although his intentions are all right for you?
You should give him an howto in your own words to hand. That is the best
way to show me that I am wrong. So, spend some time and help him.

regards
Olaf

Old 04-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Olaf Mueller

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Olaf Mueller
> <daily-planet@istari.de>wrote:
>
>> johhny_at_poland77 wrote:
>>
>> > I just need a "temporary" pppoe server, that only uses PAP
>> >
>> > ___Can someone post a howto, just in a few lines, what to do?[...]
>> You have posted this at least to three groups (centos, fedora,
>> ubuntu). No-one here should waste time in answering your mail
>> extensive.
>>

>> regards
>> Olaf
>>
>> you have showed at least some rudeness! Why did you even bother
>> posting?
Your quotation is very hard to read. Never mind, I do not know what you
think. My post was not rudeness. I hope so.
In my opinion it is very interesting that lot of people speak in this
thread but no one helped the original poster. So, if I am wrong, why
could no one answer such an easy question by reading the howto and
repeat it in his own words here in this list. And with a little luck
the questioner will read it.

regards
Olaf