Old 04-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Matt

Default Convert Filesystem to Ext4

On a running 64 bit CentOS 5.6 box is it possible to convert from Ext3
to Ext4 to improve performance? Right now I can deal with a few hours
of downtime on it. This is an email server with lots of I/O due to
seek time. Software RAID1 as well. Will Ext4 offer much of an
improvement?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Scott Silva

on 4/19/2011 10:42 AM Matt spake the following:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/96/html/Migration_Planning_Guide/ch03s02.html

Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Scott Silva

on 4/19/2011 11:16 AM Scott Silva spake the following:
> on 4/19/2011 10:42 AM Matt spake the following:
>> On a running 64 bit CentOS 5.6 box is it possible to convert from Ext3
>> to Ext4 to improve performance? Right now I can deal with a few hours
>> of downtime on it. This is an email server with lots of I/O due to
>> seek time. Software RAID1 as well. Will Ext4 offer much of an
>> improvement?
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/96/html/Migration_Planning_Guide/ch03s02.html
I know it is for RH 6, but probably sound advice.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Ryan Wagoner

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 4/19/2011 11:16 AM Scott Silva spake the following:
>> on 4/19/2011 10:42 AM Matt spake the following:
>>> On a running 64 bit CentOS 5.6 box is it possible to convert from Ext3
>>> to Ext4 to improve performance? *Right now I can deal with a few hours
>>> of downtime on it. *This is an email server with lots of I/O due to
>>> seek time. *Software RAID1 as well. *Will Ext4 offer much of an
>>> improvement?
>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/96/html/Migration_Planning_Guide/ch03s02.html
> I know it is for RH 6, but probably sound advice.

I converted my file server to ext4. The conversion went smoothly, but
I highly recommend making a backup. You need to first turn on the ext4
features then run fsck to finish the process. The conversion takes as
long as a fsck takes on ext3.

tune4fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/
e4fsck -yfDC0 /dev/

Ryan

Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Brandon Ooi

On Apr 19, 2011, at 11:55 AM, Ryan Wagoner <rswagoner@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:
>> on 4/19/2011 11:16 AM Scott Silva spake the following:
>>> on 4/19/2011 10:42 AM Matt spake the following:
>>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/96/html/Migration_Planning_Guide/ch03s02.html
>> I know it is for RH 6, but probably sound advice.
>
> I converted my file server to ext4. The conversion went smoothly, but
> I highly recommend making a backup. You need to first turn on the ext4
> features then run fsck to finish the process. The conversion takes as
> long as a fsck takes on ext3.
>
> tune4fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/
> e4fsck -yfDC0 /dev/
>
> Ryan

Mail servers with high I/O won't get much (if any) of a performance boost. It's an i/o issue not something that ext4 can help you with except possibly a faster fsck if things go down. Things like delayed allocation.. extents.. Don't help with millions of tiny files.

Faster drives and hardware raid with write cache. Better if you can have multiple disk sets and spread i/o around.

Brandon

Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Kenni Lund

Den 19/04/2011 19.42 skrev "Matt" <lm7812@gmail.com>:

> On a running 64 bit CentOS 5.6 box is it possible to convert from Ext3

> to Ext4 to improve performance?

This is entirely from memory, so it might be incorrect and not relevant anymore: When ext4 got released, it was possible to upgrade ext3 to ext4, but while you would gain some ext4 features and minor performance improvements, the only way to get native ext4 performance, was to delete and recreate the partition.

Best regards

Kenni

Old 04-20-2011, 03:31 AM
Luigi Rosa

Old 04-20-2011, 07:08 PM
John Beranek

On 19/04/2011 23:51, Kenni Lund wrote:

> Den 19/04/2011 19.42 skrev "Matt" <lm7812@gmail.com
> <mailto:lm7812@gmail.com>>:
>>
>> On a running 64 bit CentOS 5.6 box is it possible to convert from Ext3
>> to Ext4 to improve performance?
>
> This is entirely from memory, so it might be incorrect and not relevant
> anymore: When ext4 got released, it was possible to upgrade ext3 to
> ext4, but while you would gain some ext4 features and minor performance
> improvements, the only way to get native ext4 performance, was to delete
> and recreate the partition.

That's not quite true, you can force files on a partition to be
re-created using extents with something like the below:

find /home -xdev -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chattr +e
find /home -xdev -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chattr +e

Cheers,

John.

--
John Beranek To generalise is to be an idiot.
http://redux.org.uk/ -- William Blake

Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Ryan Wagoner

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 3:08 PM, John Beranek <john@redux.org.uk> wrote:
> That's not quite true, you can force files on a partition to be
> re-created using extents with something like the below:
>
> find /home -xdev -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chattr +e
> find /home -xdev -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chattr +e
>
> Cheers,
>
> John.

chattr and lsattr shipped with CentOS 5.6 do not seem ext4 aware.
Those utilities come from e2fsprogs and e4fsprogs doesn't include
alternate versions. +e is an invalid parameter for chattr and lsattr
doesn't show the extent attribute for any files.

Ryan